1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think the best way would be to....

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by bh4rnnr, Jun 27, 2005.

1. bh4rnnr

bh4rnnr

......Tell the pops you drink :confused: . I've ben wanting to do this for some time now. Having to older brothers that had a lot of fun back in high school, my Dad kinda came down hard on me. I gues in the long run I just dont want to disapoint him.. He's done a lot for me over the years and I feel it's time to tell him. I'm not the one to go get f'd up every night. I do enjoy a good brew, especialy up in the hills, or out in the desert. I've talked with my brothers about this, they have had some good things to say, but feel odd about it still... What have you guys done?????

2. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

My Dad is a preacher....he was at our house for Thanksgiving....and I offered him a beer.

He said no thanks...;) I respected him enough to leave it in the fridge while they were here.

You umm are legal aren't you? By the spelling...are you drinking now? ;)

3. srafj40

srafj40

4. bh4rnnr

bh4rnnr

Yes i'm 23. And I might have had a few :D

5. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

My dad or me? Or him?

6. wsdavies

wsdavies

Just get a bottle of JD and a couple of shot glasses..Sit him down and challenge him to a drink off :p

7. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    didnt' have to worry about it...my dad used to supply me with my booze :D

i love my daddy.

8. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

if you are a responsible consumer of alcohol then you do not have to say anything. if it is bothering your conscience then sit down with him and just chat away with him about life and once you feel comfortable enough just tell him...
    if you got busted and are worried he is going to find out the hard way then you best be fessing up...
    cheers

9. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    Let me chime in here...being somewhat of an authority on booze and proper boozing....

Dude, you are freaken 23 and old/legal enough to make your own decisions. Just be responsible with your actions.

"with great power comes great responsiblity"
    - Ben Parker - (spiderman) :flipoff2:

10. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Strangely, I can relate ..

I have a Father that would go thru a 12 over the course of 6 months! And then a few would be stale and get tossed.. :rolleyes: So I guess it's no wonder that I wasn't comfortable buying a sixpack when I'd go down to visit (1000 miles away). Always felt wierded out drinking in their house, unless it was some wine with dinner.

If I had to do it over, I think I'd say 'Dad you mind if I bring over a few beers tonite when we watch the game .. (or whatever you're doing) ?'

Boils down to respecting your father, but also asserting yourself as an individual and adult. Don't throw it in his face.. but don't shy away .. be of clear conscience, and step up. :)
    TY

11. miked

miked

both my father and his, are/were alcoholics.
    i think my pops would be more shocked if i told him i don't drink.
    i do, but the problem i'm having now is that i'm doing something about it and he isn't.
    when we get together, there's always awkward moments because of it. we live on opposite sides of the country so we don't see each other that much. the last time we met up in Denver, it didn't go so well. i decided to drink with him and that was OK but, because i was going to booze it up, i had to secure my gun in the safe bolted into the truck. he came out to see what i was doing and sorta freaked out when he realized; not only did i have a gun but, it had been on my hip the whole week. the rest of the night was spent in heated debate and the booze only made it worse. when he bugged, i decided not to drink after all. one of the longest nights i can remember. 'yeah dad, you've said that six times now...'
    when my dad gets his drink on, theres no telling him nuthin. he never gets violent or enraged, but you'll never win an argument with a drunk monkey now will ya. sorry, i just realized that was a bit of a rant.

now my mom,,, my mom will drink a beer to make her burp when she has indigestion. she'd do this once every two months or so... one beer makes her drunk and she's the funniest/cutest thing you've ever seen when this happens. the only booze she'll touch is vodka and you'll spend half the night talking her into it and that's only if it's Christmas and the rest of us are already toasted.

getting back to the topic at hand, i'd say that You're the only one who knows what your father's sensibilities are but, play this one carefully because you never know what the pops is gonna freak out over.

' dad...DAD!! it's a hunk of metal and plastic!! just like this knife(Swoosh/Click) '
    ' Jesu**! PUT THAT AWAY BEFORE---'
    ' Before what? it jumps out of my hands and stabs you on it's own?! '

12. bh4rnnr

bh4rnnr

I think for myself it's just something to get of my chest. something that i'm not hiding from him. My brothers had fun in highschool/college, sometimes a little to much. And think thats one reason why he came down a little harder on me. But in turn think that helped in the long run making me a more responsible drinker. I think I have somewhat of an idea of how to go about it... And think that the time will come when i'm ready to do it...