1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what do y'all think of decra metal roofing?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by erics_bruisers, Aug 12, 2005.

1. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

an amish guy was selling me on it yesterday --

-- i sorta like it -- a lot --

http://www.decra.com/shake.html

e

2. yooper

yooper SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
  3. Capt. Jim

Capt. Jim

It's a good product, I just have a problem with something looking like something it isn't. Kinda like vinyl wood decals on the side of a station wagon with metal trim to look like wood.

4. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

I am not familiar with that particular product, but metal roofs are good and would love to have one.

5. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

okay -- i will ask for it --

-- it's okay to ask --

:D

e

6. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

I like metal roofs too. If my roof didn't have so many dormers I would probably have one. One strange thing about them though is the noise. Sometimes when the sun hit's them they sound like somebody is walking on them. At least the 3 friends I have with metal roofs experience that. They all used the same roofing, not sure what brand.

7. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    Eric, you've got to consider the environment you're in first and foremost.

While I agree that metal roofing is strong, the metal tile/shake style isn't the strongest of the metal roof, and definitely NOT the most functional for northern climate.

If it's a purely esthetic purchase, you're on the right track. But IMO a standing seam metal roof is a hell of a lot easier to shovel off with a large plastic shovel, or even to run heat elements to it.

Damn. I'm glad I don't have to deal with those factors in FL roofs. Ice shield, load, etc....

8. 3puttcop

3puttcop

I have a little pristine piece of property on some water. Anyway I’m gonna build a little fishing cabin on it and this is the metal roofing I chose. Buddy has stuff on his retreat, about 4 years old and still shinny.

http://www.everlastroofing.com/index.html

9. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Being a California coast and now a central valley resident, I have no knowledge nor concerns of snow loads or hurricane/tornado force winds...so keeping that in mind...

I think the product is pretty cool. I've seen it (or products like it) installed on a few homes near me (about 5 miles away). From the ground/street, it looks just like stone tiles. You wouldn't know it wasn't unless someone told you. Aesthetically, it's very nice.

I'd put it on my house...here, where I live...

If money was not a limiting factor ;) I'd go with standing seam metal...in copper, of course :D

10. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

Metal is the best choice for a roof although I too like the standing seal but you have to like the look. I personally think low maintence looks very attractive. ;)

That stuff does look sharp. You can trust the Amish guy.... just not the con man who knows you can trust an Amish guy.

11. chet

chet

metal roofs are perfect for snow! It slides off at the speed of light! If you have a steep roof consider that and make sure it won't rip your gutters off on the way!

The sound from when it heats up is due to expansion of the metal rubbing against each other. Have you checked the price? up here is was 50% more than cedar shingles!

12. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    Eric, if you decide to go with metal I might be able to save you $$$$ on material costs by ordering it straight from Spectra.....we deal through them.....

just a thought for down the road. we saved about $12000 a month on material when we went to this set up......

13. archie

archie

how are those metal roofs for sound? Do they make a racket when it rains hard? How about hail? Do they dent easily if a golf ball or baseball hits it?

14. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

I dunno man...
    Light travels at a speed of 186,000 miles a second, which equates to 700 million miles an hour. I don't think the snow would melt that fast ;)

15. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

I couldn't tell if those are hollow or not.

I've had some experience with Alcoa shakes, they are OK if you know where to walk, only problem is that chimney sweeps and satelite installers can really F@#K up a really expensive roof.

They look nice, though!

16. Nick the Carpenter

Nick the Carpenter

are they a tile look alike but in tin

17. Capt. Jim

Capt. Jim

Just completed an install of Galvalume 5-V crimp roof on my house and 2 outbuildings. Standard mill finish, as the colors really tend to oxidize and become chalky down here in the Florida sun. Cost was more than double for an architectural grade fibergless shingle.

Noise will depend on whether it is installed on open purlins or solid plywood sheathing. Attic spaces and attic insulation will also make it quieter. I have built several agricultural buildings for customers with 5-V crimp on an open truss/purlin system. In some of our tropical downpours, you can't hear yourself think. I have a screened porch up in SC that has an open rafter/purlin metal roof. This thing is also noisy in a heavy rain.

In my house, it is no louder than my previous shingle roof was. Slightly louder in my shop, which is open trus with solid plywood sheathing.

They're great roofs. Especially in high-wind locales.

I used a peel and stick underlayment. Supposed to get some sort of rebate on my insurance.

18. Nick the Carpenter

Nick the Carpenter

19. 4runnermaybe

4runnermaybe

no doubt mommy and daddy will get it for you.

20. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

Metal roofs rule. Like Doug I dig the seamed copper roofs.