1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do we know about pavers...

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by fsusteve, Aug 17, 2006.

1. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    cause I got about 800 sq ft going in this week. Some guys I work with have a paver company here and do very good work. My question is, just in case the workers are ever unattended, what are some things that are a must when installing them. I work on the trust but verify school of thought.

Doug, Cookie, WS, whatcha got?

2. greytandy

greytandy

Media:
    Albums:
    Depending on how you do it, a rubber mallet, a long level, a brick saw, and knee pads. I made my own 250 sq. ft. patio a few years ago. It was alot of work.

EDIT: This assumes you already have a level base of sand or crushed rock to work from.

3. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

A well prepared base is a must! Here they dig out about 12-18 inches and build it up from there. Crushed limestone compacted down then sand to level it out. Once placed a top application of sand forced into the joints to lock it all together and you should be good for many years to come.

4. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    The baserock is already in, initially I was doing a deck, but cost wise this was much cheaper. The sand should be here today, pavers tomorrow. They'll concrete in the edges except where there will be a small stone retaining wall going in. I know a little about it, but just want to make sure about compaction and the sand process...

5. nicksfj-40

nicksfj-40

I used to install pavers. We would make a 6 to 8 inch compacted base. Level the sand, lay pavers, compact with a walk behind plate compactor. Be careful around the edges. Put a concrete "toe" around the perimeter. Throw out sand and re compact with compactor then you are done. That job sucked. Lots of work.

6. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    Using a wacker, or even better, a vibratory plate compactor, will pack your base properly. Don't soak it to get it to pack down, as the water only takes up space which will be loft over when it dries out. Compact the base or sand dry.

Having a concrete saw to cut the pavers is a lot cleaner than using a hammer and chisel, or a brick cutter.

Setting the grade can be accomplished using a line level, water level, or even better a laser level and grade rod. You can also use a grade rod with a transit to get the proper grade.

Using a good border edge will keep things in place and prevent the base from pusing out when the blocks are set. A lot of guys put down a good weed block material down before the base to allow water penetration, but reduce plants from pushing up between the pavers. The sand or base will still allow some weed growth, but Roundup will keep that under control through a 2-3 times a year spray application.

Spread the base with a landscape rake, compact, and invest in a good set of kneepads. ;)

Pretty much what everyone else has said too....

7. 45Kevin

45Kevin

I have seen the sand leveled with 1" electrical conduit. Lay two lenghts parallel about 8-10' apart and use a screed or straight 2x4 to get a level suface. Pull up the conduit and fill in the line as you lay the pavers. I have not tried this myself but it produced a very nice result for my neighbour.

8. rusty_tlc

rusty_tlc Dain Bramaged Member

Media:
    Albums:
    2 year paver patio owner here.
    The sealer is crap. Lasted about half way through the first year then the ants plowed through it.
    I have a product called sand lock that I plan to try as soon as I have time to power wash the sand out and re-do it. Fawking PITA:mad: . wish I had gone with stamped concrete instead. I loved the concrete patio at my old house, 15 years and no maintainence. Price wise it was a draw between the two when we did this house. We thought the pavers would look nicer but that was a mistake.

Call it off if you have time.

9. UltraFJ40

UltraFJ40 ที่นี่และมี

Sorry I just found this thread Steve. I was wondering the same thing as I am clueless about them.

Whats the cost and maintenance of concrete vs Pavers? (Doing my front entry soon, currently have that 70's brown pebblerock [​IMG])

10. Conex

Conex

If this area will be getting a lot of water on it, plan on regularly buying sand and using a push broom to keep the pavers from moving when the joints wash out. Otherwise I think they look good.

There is a resort here that did all of thier roads with pavers (about 10 miles). They have a full time crew of at least 10 guys pushing sand down the street with brooms.

11. nicksfj-40

nicksfj-40

If you do your compaction right, and run your grades right, and make your border out of a concrete toe, you shouldn't have to worry about the sand washing out. Maybe twice a year throw more sand down. I have put in city roads here in downtown Tulsa that look just as good now as the day we installed them. You have to know what you are doing to make them work. Also that post above about using electrical conduit to run your grade is the way to go. You can also set all your grade with string line...not all that fancy laser crap.

12. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

I had some input...really I did...but it's not any better than what whiteshark, nicksfj40 and others have already posted.

get all the prep work done right and the rest will all fall right into place. laying pavers is really pretty easy.

13. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    Occupational hazard. When you already own a self levelling laser, tripod, and grade rod, it's the way to go. Otherwise, use what you've already got. :cheers:

14. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:

The paver's are going for around $4 a ft. Concrete was about the same, if you include labor on both. I had planned on a deck, but it was running about $1800 more with me swinging the hammer. The guys doing it work for ENFD (Palermo Pavers) and are really good guys, give me a call if you want me to send them your way....
    404-4607.
    Like rusty said there will be a little more maintenance and I do love concrete, but I think the pavers will be cosmetically more appropriate out back. How's retirement?

15. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    call eric. he'll come down and pack your base.

16. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    he's gotta catch me first and I'm one fast mofo....

17. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

what do you think the pooches are for...

:flipoff2:

18. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    Ok, I'm a fast mofo that can shoot on the run....

19. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    What type of fudge are you using for base? Just wondering... ;)

20. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

You must have gained some weight;)

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">