what do i need, what do i need to know install lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
I was just wounding what exact tools ill need to do this install of a 2.5 inch lift. whats rated jack stands ect.. (I don't have a lift :'() also how hard of a job is this? my lx450 is my only driver right now and i need to be able to get everything done in one weekend. I have never installed a coil lift before so what am i looking at?
Also from my understanding the lx450 suspension stock is about 20% softer due to all them store shoppin, kid halllen, soccer moms out there like there rides smoother. does that mean my brake lines are shorter? i know some people say that the brake lines need to be lengthened any ways with the lift so should i just do that too any ways?

Any help would be appreciated
mike

Never done the install however I can offer one piece of advice. Buy a big ass can of wd40 and soak all shock and spring bolts. This will make loosening them so much easier this weekend. Actually go out at lunch and do this, the more time to soak the easier the bolts are to undo.

uzj100 :D

this is a really good 1st project. you get to know how your rig works in alot of ways by doing this yourself. you should definetly be able to do it in a weekend. the 2 i have done/been apart of were done in an evening. follow the directions on slee's site and you should be set.......obviously all your hand tools, jackstands (get the beefy ones) and a floor jack. IMO this lift was easier than my 40 lift. good luck. you will love the results.

Instead of using wd40, use pb blaster. It will work better. spray it on two times a day for about 3 days before you take off the bolts. Dont use an air ratchet to take out any bolts, do it by hand. Be very careful with the rear lower shock bolts. They are a pain the the a$$ and want to break easy. other then that its a really easy job. Just make sure you have a jack that can go high enough, and some tall jack stands. Oh and make sure (if you do it in a garage) that you will have enough clearance to get the vehicle out. My buddy lifted his k10 6 inches and forgot that he had to take it out of the garage. Lucklly enough we put the stock tires on and deflated the tires completly and backed it out with about 1/4 inch clearence. As far as your brake lines go, they arnt shorter. the front isnt a problem, and the back really isnt a problem unles your doing some crazy articulation. What i did for the back was just unbolt the little plate where the hard line meets the rubber line and then i moved it to the bottom of the frame. go to christo's site: Sleeoffroad.com He has a great write up on the install. Pictures and all.

-Bryan

Ditto, WD40 is not a real serious penetrating oil (nor a serious lubricating one either - bring on the flames, got my Nomex undies on...). I'd use Kroil or similar myself.
HTH
Eric

Mike, I just put my lift back on this past Saturday... so I've done it twice now, once to go to stock, again to lift it again. Not a technical job, just some grunt work, easier than leaf springs, IMO. The experts will tell you that McPhearson strut compressors aren't required, but I found them to be very useful. And considering AutoZone rents them for free...

In the back, jack up your truck and support on jack stands, then take off both tires, both shocks (easiest to remove the top plate with the two bolts you can see from the bottom, just take that whole plate off) also remove the control arm drops, where they bolt to the frame (little 12mm bolt heads). You don't have to but I also removed the bump stops, just to get some more wiggle room, and the spare. Then I jacked up one side of the axle, put those compressors on, and lowered the axle, and the springs are now loose and you can pull them out. precompressing the new springs made them easier to install, and the strut compressors are easy to take off if you jack the axle up again. Only thing is make sure the end of the spring rests in its little notch on the botton, it'll be obvious.

On the front, just take the top bolt off the shock, you can leave the bottom connected, since you need to load/unload the spring in the front anyway and the shocks are in back. Again, take off the hangers for the front control arm, just to gain a little articulation. Careful of the brake lines, especially when wrenching on the strut compressors (if you use them). Use the same jack it up, put the compressors on, lower it method as with the back. Plan on 8 hours, you'll probalby do it in 5.. it takes Christo 30 minutes.

Geez i suck,
took a freind and I 1.5 hrs to do when we swapped from my rolled 91 to my 92. we cheated and used the strut compressor as I had one in the garage. one point not made is to do the diff breather replacement wheil you are under there and set your jack stands on the frame rails right behind the control arm mounts. I also did not unbolt the control arms front or back just got it up real high and threw em in. oh one other tidbit, ame springs are specced for aussie cruisers so the one they label ds goest to ps and vice versa.
Dave

LX-Mikey,
You're getting some great advice, some correct information, potentially incorrect information, some wrong information, and some conflicting information.

Some of the following is redundant:
1. Call Slee offroad and be sure you're getting the right springs for you and your truck.
2. Reference the installation instructions on the Slee offroad site.
3. Don't fool with the spring compressor, the springs will come out easily if you follow the instructions.
4. Don't remove any "control arms." Remove the F&R sway bar brackets.
5. The new OME springs are labelled correctly.
6. Don't waste time removing bump stops and the spare tyre.
7. Use PB Blaster on the bolts, especially the lower shock bolts; there are no "spring bolts".
8. The 6-ton jack stands from HF are tall enough to do the job. Others will work if you get tall ones.
9. You should get longer brake lines if you selected the OME-L shocks. Regular OME or stock shocks do not require longer brake lines.
10. 4 hours; 8 hours if you are slower than me and that's slooooooow.
11. Use caution removing the LF top shock nut. It's easy to break the coil connector. Don't ask how I know.
12. Extend and do the diff breather mods at the same time.

-B-

Listen to Beowulf, he has it right. Ben and Christo at www.sleeoffroad.com will set you up right.
Sean.

thanks guys i feel alot better about doing this job myself. ill look into buying the lift real soon and then up she goes.

mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom