What do I need to swap a Isuzu 4bd1/2t with Aw 450 trans into 80 Series. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone. Ive done so much reading/research but just need some straight answers to my questions.

I have a isuzu 4bd1t and 4bd2t. I also am about to buy a aw 450 auto trans from a isuzu npr box truck.

What Will I need (PARTS WISE) to mate this 4bd to the aw450 and then to my transfer case in my 1997 toyota landcruiser 80 series?????

I guess the aw 450 wont just bolt up to the 4bd? Even tho it is mated up to the diesel in the NPR (newer diesel model, forgot what the motor is called)????

Im guessing that they wont just bolt up, so then what kind of adapter do I need to make/buy? Please send me a link if they have anything for sale.

Transfer case to aw450. Do I need a adapter? What do I need to mate this trans to my transfer case?

Will the aw 450 shift in the correct spots with the 4bd? I plan to use 315s with future re-gear to 3.70 or lowest I can find. Pretty sure there is a company in Aussie selling at least 3.70 for the 80 series.

Thanks in advance for anyones help with this!! -Tyler.

Okay thanks for the heads up on the torque converter. Not farmiliar with automatics and how they work so i guess i should do some reading up on that.

The AW was only ever used on the later model Isuzu engines. I don't know if they share the same flywheel and bellhousing setup as the 4BD engines. AW450 also needs a computer to control, not sure how you would run that with a completely mechanical engine. This is uncharted territory, no adapters are available, you are on your own and it's going to be a lot of work to figure out.

So as fromage above was saying, i guess the tcm from the aw450 takes i think 3 signals sent from the ecm of the engine in order to operate. That i guess is why mating a aw450 to a fully mechanical diesel might be a problem vs using a 4d34 with a ecm that has these output signals.
Just came accross this thread of mine and wanted to share for future reference. I got this from superhatch's swap thread although not sure what these signals are and if u can rig something up to have them be sent from a engine like a 4bd isuzu.

If I were you, I’d look into using an A442 with a Compushift. You can use the AW450 torque converter or a stalled down A442 torque converter.

Why not just use an A440? It’s what I got with my 4bd1t with intercooler and it works great! All I had to do was stall the torque converter a bit.

Why not just use an A440? It’s what I got with my 4bd1t with intercooler and it works great! All I had to do was stall the torque converter a bit.

@yellowgeko Have you got a build thread anywhere? What kind of mpg’s Are you pulling down, and how does it feel in comparison to a 3fe or 1fz? Stock turbo or aftermarket?

Last edited:
@yellowgeko Have you got a build thread anywhere? What kind of mpg’s Are you pulling down, and how does it feel in comparison to a 3fe or 1fz? Stock turbo or aftermarket?

Man. Totally forgot about his thread. No build thread, I actually bought it this way. I misspoke when I say I got it stalled down but that’s what happened to the torque converter before I got it. I am pulling about 19-20 mpg around town with lots of ups, downs, and turns. About 21+ on the highway. I feel it drives about the same as a stock 1FZ. It a alittle slower in getting up to speed but not by much. This is all off of feel of course. I didn’t take any metrics when I sold my 1FZ. . I have never driven a 3F. The rpms are a little higher, I hit overdrive at about 55 mph. But the cruiser has. I problem zipping around at 70 mph all day.

Man. Totally forgot about his thread. No build thread, I actually bought it this way. I misspoke when I say I got it stalled down but that’s what happened to the torque converter before I got it. I am pulling about 19-20 mpg around town with lots of ups, downs, and turns. About 21+ on the highway. I feel it drives about the same as a stock 1FZ. It a alittle slower in getting up to speed but not by much. This is all off of feel of course. I didn’t take any metrics when I sold my 1FZ. . I have never driven a 3F. The rpms are a little higher, I hit overdrive at about 55 mph. But the cruiser has. I problem zipping around at 70 mph all day.

Nice! And do you have anything you’d want to do differently? Are you using the stock wastegated turbo or the an aftermarket upgrade?

It’s an after market turbo, a new TD04HL-19T turbo. I would definitely do that. Like I said mine came setup, nothing I would really change. Well, I haven’t looked into it but mannual would have been awesome but I am sure a headache to do. There was a lot less rewiring by leaving the stock transmission in and in place.

I’m set on the A442. Going to try and se an Aw450 converter.

Iam doing this very swap as we speak but an isuzu 4he1 with the 450 hybrid with the a442f transfer case with a442f outputshaft and case spacer. Mine is a 94

Literaly in my case all that has to be done is mod the rear of the aw450 to handle the hf2a transfercase . And your done the 450 is so close to our a442f that its not funny . Just one was ment as 2wd and the other as 4wd. Easy to mod so far. However in my case starter location is on the trans side so iam going to have to ether build or find a clockable starter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom