What do i need to look for in a lift kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just ordered a front and rear bumper with tire carrier. Not planning on a drawer system. I have 33s on now and want a 2.5" lift. And I'm not doing any crazy wheeling just intermediate stuff so I was looking at dobinsons and OME(for the price) what's everyone's thoughts on both of them? Or suggestions for other kits? and what do I need to make sure I get to make it ride well.
Thanks!

Just ordered a front and rear bumper with tire carrier. Not planning on a drawer system. I have 33s on now and want a 2.5" lift. And I'm not doing any crazy wheeling just intermediate stuff so I was looking at dobinsons and OME(for the price) what's everyone's thoughts on both of them? Or suggestions for other kits? and what do I need to make sure I get to make it ride well.
Thanks!

You’re going down the right path. Agree with railwelder. The drivability will depend on your caster after your lift. You can correct caster with bushings, caster plates, or with radius arms.

Two years ago I went with Delta VS's Treat Yourself Kit with the 2.0 ICON shocks.
Great kit, the only things I needed to purchase separately were the rear sway bar extensions. I made a set of rear bump stop spacers from 2x2 tubing. Other than that it was all included.
Dave was great to work with, answering all my questions and concerns.
I'm also rolling on 33's.
I have rock sliders and a custom plate front bumper with a 12K winch. So plenty of extra mass. The system rides and trails well. Very pleased with the Delta VS kit.
here's a pic to show you how she sits mostly empty.
6KlpFlWl.jpg

Running OME 860 front/X-heavy rear 3", with 30mm spacer to maintain 3" lift on rear (kinda heavy). With Nitro-Charger shocks.
I posit the notion that ride quality is married to the shocks. Not the springs.
20210910_175248_filled.jpg

I think the range of offerings, expertise and quality of Dobinson's is where it's at. I would call them up directly and talk with one of their rep's who knows 80 Series and talk about your weight, plans and budget. They'll get you sorted. I think OME is kind of antiquated and hasn't changed with the times, and ICON literally only sells one spring set for the 80 Series. Guess what? They'll tell you that spring set is perfect for what you have in mind.
Dobinson's will send you their spring rates on a spread sheet, as will OME, so you can compare those to the subjective reports you see here on Mud, and then you just have to make an educated guess. If you have the opportunity to drive a few rigs, like by going to trail meetups and making some 80 Series friends, that will be a big help. That's not always feasible, and is less likely during this pandemic.
Good luck with your selection, it's one of the bigger price items for our rigs, so it's nice if you can get something you like the first time. (It took me two tries.)

I have the medium 2.5" OME lift. The ride is just right and the stance has just a tad of rake which is what I was looking for. No heavy bumpers or stuff on top. I've always shopped with Kurt at Cruiseroutfitters.

I ran heavy OME front and rear for years with front and rear bumpers along with winch. Worked great. I switched to dobinson a year ago and like it even better but its more $$ also. Talk with an expert at dobinson"I use Jason at Ozark overland outfitters "or OME "Cruiser outfitters". Tell then what you have and where you want to drive. They will fit you with options and like stated Dobinson has more options than OME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom