What do I have? 40 newb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More slow progress tonight. Removed the trans transfer case combo.

Then played with some medium reducer I had around the house.. I need to get some good thinner and I think progress would be promising. This was about 10 minutes with a red shop rag. There’s still some good spring green hiding under there.

28A4C060-BD34-4F06-83D5-8C60B221D9A2.jpeg

5F3E9456-0981-45BE-8B83-42FA91069C9F.jpeg

0E1B7A12-FF17-439D-A5EF-1C1758D5C54D.jpeg

2376683F-701F-40A5-A427-E0CFCE930C98.jpeg

Re reading the preserving patina thread. I’m going to pick up some goof off to try as well. Supposedly my local ace has it in stock.

Circling back to this as the 4 runner project is pretty Much buttoned up.

I swapped off my 6.0 For the 4 runner engine. So I’m back and forth on what to do on the 40..

The engine isn’t locked up, supposed to have a bottom end noise and unknown miles.

I’m 1/2 way thinking about spending a little money and getting it running and see how bad the engine is.

The question is do I rebuild the Weber or just toss an Amazon special carb on it with a fresh mechanical fuel pump. The Weber will require a new electric pump and a new external regulator.

Just bored and thinking out loud.

I guess the free thing to Do would be just pour a little gas down the carb and see how bad she sounds.. maybe I’ll try that before I toss a few
Hundred at it.

I guess the free thing to Do would be just pour a little gas down the carb and see how bad she sounds.. maybe I’ll try that before I toss a few
Hundred at it.

Did this tonight. Easy success. Ran it about 30 seconds. Fired right up surprisingly. Hot wired since I have it all torn apart.

Now to rebuild the carb and fuel side.

B7FCAC80-8D8C-45E5-839C-A2D26000E5FC.jpeg

Digging through all the Weber carb info for the last hour and still haven’t really answered my own questions so I’ll ask.

Rebuild the Weber or go back oem knockoff?

From what I’m reading the Weber craze wasn’t all it was cracked up to be. But it’s a solid carb

Going back to OE style carb spends more $, however seems they are easier to repair if the need arises. Also can add a factory airbox back if I locate one.

This won’t be a show piece restoration. Just looking For input on those who have been here before.

If I do go back to stock carb what all will I need? Fuel pump, line, carb, linkage ?? Is there a factory adapter / spacer or does the stock carb just bolt To the intake?

The weber craze was, because info was harder to share on a mass level at the time..and they worked better than the oe carbs that just needed worked on.

The weber craze was, because info was harder to share on a mass level at the time..and they worked better than the oe carbs that just needed worked on.

That’s what I’m seeing. Not Saying they weren’t an upgrade at the time. Just saying here we are 20-30 years later and stock carbs are holding their own.

Early on in this thread I posted I wouldn’t own a carb and had an ls swap planned, even have some important parts for it. But here I am trying to figure out what carb to put on it.

JimC rebuilt my oem carb in 2003 and I have not touched it in 20 years.
Ditto on the JimC rebuild. 7+ years without a hiccup…

IIRC Weber carb runs a cable. Makes it just a little easier to run a Holley Sniper. :D

If you are at a point in your build where you can have JimC build one for you there is no reason not to. I have a Weber and it runs well but it takes lots of adjusting to get there. My plan is to go back to OEM once I accumulate the carb, air cleaner assembly etc.. mostly for originality. Of course plans change and those Snipers are sure lustful.

IIRC Weber carb runs a cable. Makes it just a little easier to run a Holley Sniper. :D

Mine does have a cable. Is stock linkage style? This would answer wether or not I can easily go back to stock, as I have no linkage and I’m sure it’s not easy to come By.

Also I’m not 100% the drivetrain/ engine is solid so I don’t want to jump off into a sniper setup yet.

Mine does have a cable. Is stock linkage style? This would answer wether or not I can easily go back to stock, as I have no linkage and I’m sure it’s not easy to come By.

Also I’m not 100% the drivetrain/ engine is solid so I don’t want to jump off into a sniper setup yet.

I've seen so many variations along the years, it's impossible to tell. A buddy of mine had a 72 FJ40 that used a cable, my 76 FJ40 uses a linkage.

I've seen so many variations along the years, it's impossible to tell
Not really, its pretty cut and dried, if you take the po equations out of the math.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom