What diesel's are can go into an 80 ? Both Toyota and Non-Toyota (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Obviously Toyota's own 1hz and 1hdt, plus 1hdft and 1hdfte, all fit, but I guess the 24 valve ones are noticably bigger at the top. Only complication I see is adapting the clutch or similar to the different output shaft (such as with fitting a 1hdt to a 1hz configured with a h150f gearbox).

Besides Toyota diesels, has anyone fitted a different diesel motor to an 80?

Is the task of getting a different diesel (non toyota) into an 80 even worthwhile? What about a different Toyota diesel like the v8 diesel for a 70/200 series?

You gotta search, man. Time, money, and imagination are the only limits to what you can do as a project. There are multiple threads with people dropping lbz's, 4bt, 6bt, r2.8, isuzu, etc. Detroit 2 stroke, anyone?

Are you just curious or are you thinking of doing one? If you're considering it you need to come to the table with much more specific questions, to be honest.

Im the only one who has ever swapped a non toyota diesel in an 80.....

Haha, no, just check the diesel registry link, lots of different swaps out there. In north america we never got diesel 80's from the dealership, and things like 4BT and 6BT, 6.5 chev, etc are more abundant, so lots of swaps on this side of the water.

Also, the V8 toyota diesel is not available here in a domestic vehicle, we'd be paying to import it.

Obviously Toyota's own 1hz and 1hdt, plus 1hdft and 1hdfte, all fit, but I guess the 24 valve ones are noticably bigger at the top. Only complication I see is adapting the clutch or similar to the different output shaft (such as with fitting a 1hdt to a 1hz configured with a h150f gearbox).

Besides Toyota diesels, has anyone fitted a different diesel motor to an 80?

Is the task of getting a different diesel (non toyota) into an 80 even worthwhile? What about a different Toyota diesel like the v8 diesel for a 70/200 series?
6BT cummins all day. Not worth it imho to import a yota diesel when we have so many more power, more plentiful diesels in the US with tons of aftermarket support.

I can't imagine a motor swap of any kind is legal in your country...

It that really true that the V8 diesel used in 200's and 79's is *not* available in any Toyota sold normally into the US market? The VD engine has been supplied since about 2007 in vehicles here. I don't know if it got fitted to Japanese market Toyotas so if not there probably won't be an export market for them (except from here - where there are lots of them).

correct, we didn't get them in anything. lots of gas V6s and V8s that get 10-15 MPG tho.

@sunrk there are whole Aussie Facebook pages dedicated to various engineered diesel swaps. The 6bt is the go to, there are also LS pages, and 6.5 Chevy diesel. Although that one seems to be the worst option I can imagine

6BT is a major undertaking and from what I've read/investigated, not that simple in an 80 series. It will need to be significantly lifted to fit.

Years ago I helped a number of people do 6.5NA and 6.5TD swaps into 80s (I had a 6.2 in my 60) and it really was quite a simple swap (using a full engine & adapter kit from somewhere like Brunswick in Perth). However I believe they are quite expensive these days.

While I haven't done the math, I'd think a petrol LS conversion would be better bang for buck in Aus.

6BT is a major undertaking and from what I've read/investigated, not that simple in an 80 series. It will need to be significantly lifted to fit.

Years ago I helped a number of people do 6.5NA and 6.5TD swaps into 80s (I had a 6.2 in my 60) and it really was quite a simple swap (using a full engine & adapter kit from somewhere like Brunswick in Perth). However I believe they are quite expensive these days.

While I haven't done the math, I'd think a petrol LS conversion would be better bang for buck in Aus.

I am no authority here, but I am pretty sure the issue was the oil pan interfering with the axle... folks are modifying the oil pan or converting to a dry sump, but I have yet to see actual pictures of this.

@ARJMN is doing a really detailed build of this and I am eagerly watching because I want to do the same at some point. So, I'm sure he will address this in his build when it gets there.

Oil pan notched to clear the front pinion, your probably looking at about 2" of lift to make it comfortable.
Having about 1/2"-1" of body lift would make things easier as well.

You have to remember the extra weight of a 6BT will compress your front suspension a bit, so think about this like 2" lift on a 6BT might equal 1" lift on an HDT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom