What did you use for Mishimoto radiator transmission cooler adapter fittings for FJ62 OEM stock lines? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

leucadiacruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello 'Mud - I'm about to swap out the old radiator to a Mishimoto aluminum radiator. This will be the second one I've done because the first made a great difference in temps and was a perfect fit. On the first, I used an external transmission cooler and bypassed the radiator cooler. On this one, I'm hoping to use the stock lines with fittings from Summit Racing or another vendor to use the integrated transmission cooler in the radiator. I've read many threads on those parts and modifcations but haven't been able to confirm what will work with stock lines - that is, what I'm hoping is plug and play. My understanding is the Mishimoto ports are shallower than the stock port so the OEM fittings won't seat as they should. Anyone out there with a parts list handy from Summit or someone else? Thanks in advance!

WHY ?

you should think twice about Straying from a OEM period correct all BRASS unit .........

introducing a bunch of DETROIT adapters and fittings to MOD out this Aluminum thing , is well ................a VERY bad idea ...

(.12) - Copy111.jpg

WHY ?

you should think twice about Straying from a OEM period correct all BRASS unit .........

introducing a bunch of DETROIT adapters and fittings to MOD out this Aluminum thing , is well ................a VERY bad idea ...

View attachment 2872471
Clue me - what’s your recommendation?

Hi, I’d go brass too. There are several aftermarket ones I have found to be excellent.

i personally use and install on my own land cruisers and other toyota trucks like SUPER HILUX , this example

i keep these in-stock too

1640235587201.png

I installed a mishi in my 62 without needing port adapters. The ports are shallower, but i just moved the jam nuts further up the thread and everything snugged up fine with the stock fittings. Had this set up for about 2 years without any issues.

Just a heads up for ieaky radiator caps.
Avoid leaning on or bracing against the top of the radiator when working on the engine. Don’t ever put any weight on it. It’s right there and a natural spot to support your weight - but avoid doing that - it can create leaks.

Not saying that’s what caused your cap to leak, but leaning on it is not good.

Just a heads up for ieaky radiator caps.
Avoid leaning on or bracing against the top of the radiator when working on the engine. Don’t ever put any weight on it. It’s right there and a natural spot to support your weight - but avoid doing that - it can create leaks.

Not saying that’s what caused your cap to leak, but leaning on it is not good.
Not the cap/neck - the whole to seam running along the top front of the rad. With 100K this stock radiator, it doesn't owe me anything.

Yes that what I meant- the entire top of the radiator, not the fill spout.
I used to lean heavily on mine and I think it caused it to leak at the top. Not sure, but it was suspicious.

I would get 6AN conversion fittings for both the radiator and transmission (as well as a auxiliary cooler that you should be using) and run all new hose with AN fittings. your OEM transmission cooler hoses are now +32 year old rubber.

I put a Mishimoto rad in a 62 earlier this year (not mine), they're really nice. I seem to recall running into the same issue with the fitting depth but don't remember what I did about it.

Last edited:
I would get 6AN conversion fittings for both the radiator and transmission (as well as a auxiliary cooler that you should be using) and run all new hose with AN fittings. your OEM transmission cooler hoses are now +32 year old rubber.

I put a Mishimoto rad in a 62 earlier this year, they're really nice. I seem to recall running into the same issue with the fitting depth but don't remember what I did about it.

@cruisermatt speaks the truth

You can also get your original one repaired! Mine was leaking and I had a radiator shop put in a new core it’s been working perfect for years now! Just another option to the aluminum units, which are great themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom