Builds What did you do with your cruiser today? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright, post up anything! Show of your new mods, your oil change victory, or just a cool shot of the cruiser. Pictures are needed, or it didn't happen!

I Installed a snorkel! Mainly for the looks, it was a gift. Made of chinesium, $80 instead of the $350 safari snorkel.

IMG_20151222_100512914_HDR[1].jpg

Rain:mad:
IMG_20151223_104701957_HDR[1].jpg

The A Pillar bracket is held on by rivets, that was the only difference between this snorkel and the safari snorkel.
IMG_20151223_170524368_HDR[1].jpg

Finished!:)

Nice picture of your CRUISER FAMILY!. Looks like fun.Was there any water to try out your new snorkel? Maybe at Pismo next year. Did it change your MPG?

The snorkel has not changed my mpg.
It should be running a little cooler tho.
No water to try out the snorkel yet, the salt water of the ocean didn't seem like a good idea lol. I need to water proof a couple more things before I try to swim in the cruiser, and I don't really plan on swimming it anyway. The snorkel is really for the cleaner/cooler air and the looks.:banana:

IMG_20160116_145845875[1].jpg

Filled the cruiser with friends and messed around in the snow:steer: I'm still very impressed with the Duratracs. The snow was perfect for snowballs, to wet for good sledding tho.
IMG_20160116_150042747[1].jpg

After spending all of the good weather months rebuilding the motor, I've tried to avoid wrenching on anything...though I did re-replace the liftgate struts that only lasted 2 months today. All that said, here's the last few months of travels:

Two weeks after the rebuild, Dog Valley, Boy Scout camp:
PA170180-XL.jpg

A few weeks after that, Fort Bragg:
PA300226-XL.jpg

In November, we went up Jumbo to VC, the kids got to drive some, I exercised the lockers, and taught myself exactly what mud terrain tires are useless for:
IMG_1690-XL.jpg

20151114_113720-XL.jpg

In December I took friends from out of town on County Road 102 behind my house to see the horses, and discovered an icy mudhole that required lockers to get out of and also somehow broke my bumper:

IMG_1784-X3.jpg

IMG_1851-X3.jpg

2A2A3156-XL.jpg

Also spotted someone's previous bad day:
IMG_1823-XL.jpg

Then in early January I went back down CR102 with the family, and got to help a friend in need at that same mudhole that broke my bumper:

IMG_1863-X2.jpg

IMG_1870-XL.jpg

I've got a growing to-do list for this year, but it's been good wheeling instead of rebuilding again, even if it is winter...

I've been daily driving the 100, ummmm heated seats.
Hoping for a free weekend soon to do some pre-season maintenance on the FJ40.
I have an IPOR rear diff cover waiting installation, also need to replace the ARB air solenoid o-ring while I have that axle empty of oil.

I've been daily driving the 100, ummmm heated seats.
Hoping for a free weekend soon to do some pre-season maintenance on the FJ40.
I have an IPOR rear diff cover waiting installation, also need to replace the ARB air solenoid o-ring while I have that axle empty of oil.

I was daily driving my 80, like always, but yesterday I snapped a Hard brake line. So I'm now waiting on Toyota to get the line. $20 so not too bad. I was installing extended braided steel brake lines. I was on the last damn line when it happened:bang:. Having 4 roommates to shuttle me around while i have no brakes is a plus tho.

Heated seats sound nice....My fzj80 is wired for heated seats, so maybe someday. :hmm:

Hit me up when your going to do some pre-season maintenance, the 40 is about the only land cruiser I have never really worked on.

The extended brake lines are for next weekends job. More lift, 4 bigger springs, 4 bigger shocks, sway bar drops, more castor correction, dropped bump stops, 4x4labs rear bumper, Arb front bumper/winch, finish my skid plate and yeah its gonna be a busy day. I will make sure to post up pictures. :clap:

Hopefully I will be only sliders(In the mail) and diff armor away from being ready for Rubithon! :bounce2::bounce:

Been spending some time in the garage getting things cleaned up and organizing my tools:wrench: into a new tool chest I got for Christmas. Then I'm going to tackle putting on some new led lights and some new hoses for the radiator and maybe a new thermostat. Rusty what one do you have in there you never seem to overheat. Also I would love to see how to change an o-ring on an arb since I will be doing it soon as well. If it is not to much hassle could I looko_Oover your shoulder while you do it. And when I put on my ruff stuff diff cover it leaked :meh:with the paper gasket that came with it and I had also used a slight amount of silicone. I redid it with mega amount of just rtv red and that puppy doesn't leak now. Justin you have your work cut out for you-holler if you need a garage, or tools or help.

@Krusty Krab It's a lot of work for sure, I'm going back home for the weekend so I recruit my dad and a good friend into helping. If i get the brakes working that is :hillbilly:

What kind of led lights are you putting on? Turn signals?:p:D

Been spending some time in the garage getting things cleaned up and organizing my tools:wrench: into a new tool chest I got for Christmas. Then I'm going to tackle putting on some new led lights and some new hoses for the radiator and maybe a new thermostat. Rusty what one do you have in there you never seem to overheat. Also I would love to see how to change an o-ring on an arb since I will be doing it soon as well. If it is not to much hassle could I looko_Oover your shoulder while you do it. And when I put on my ruff stuff diff cover it leaked :meh:with the paper gasket that came with it and I had also used a slight amount of silicone. I redid it with mega amount of just rtv red and that puppy doesn't leak now. Justin you have your work cut out for you-holler if you need a garage, or tools or help.
I have the factory radiator in my truck, it always runs on the low end of normal. Before you replace the thermostat do the test in the FSM, it only takes a few minutes, I replaced the one in my FJ60 and there was nothing wrong with the one I took out. All you need is a pot of water and a kitchen thermometer to do the test.
While you have the hoses off pull the radiator and take it to a shop, IIRC it was pretty cheap to get mine re-cored. It has run cool ever since I did that back in the 90's.

Replaced the manifold gasket as I had installed the one previously BACKWARDS when I put the head back on. Still have a slight manifold vacuum leak and high idle issue that I am chasing around but other than that she is running like a champ. I have a feeling that the machine shop that my head shop used for the manifold really didn't know what they were doing so the end horns of the manifold were not planed properly and thus causing the leak.

The high idle thing is something that has me a bit stumped currently. Pretty much regardless of what I do to the idle speed screw it really doesn't effect the idle other than making it go UP. Have the idle mixture screw turned out to the JimC mentioned 3 1/2 to 4 turns from bottomed and unless I completely screw it in I cannot get the idle to drop below 1k without pulling on the pedal with my foot. Friend thinks I may have a sticky float of valve in the carb, linkage all seems ok but I have a feeling I am going to need to pull the carb again and go through it to see what is going on. Hell, I may have slightly bent an accelerator linkage part or could have something backwards and not really know it. I used Pinhead's videos on Youtube to rebuild the carb when the head was off.

Tried attaching these too. Don't know what happened View attachment 1192899View attachment 1192900View attachment 1192901

Sent from my iPhone
Where is this? I spent the past summer working for the Nevada Division of Minerals helping secure the abandoned mines of Nevada, now i spend my free time exploring them/learning about the geology from an economic side and would love to know where that one is! I see that you mentioned Rawhide and just wanted to confirm the location!

Where is this? I spent the past summer working for the Nevada Division of Minerals helping secure the abandoned mines of Nevada, now i spend my free time exploring them/learning about the geology from an economic side and would love to know where that one is! I see that you mentioned Rawhide and just wanted to confirm the location!
That picture was just above the Golden Pen mine. We were looking to get around to the Blue Sphinx mine, but the road petered out and we were forced to turn around.
That light bar is big. Is it new? How are you liking it? Does it reflect off the hood back at you at all?
42", and yes new! Unfortunately for me I literally just got it wired up last weekend, along with the 2 7" bars on the rear so I haven't got to play with it yet. Initial thoughts though are that it will reflect quite a bit of light, but not quite as bad as on a newer (shinier) vehicle. Will probably do something with the hood anyway.

Just got back home(my parents house in the bay) after a long day working on the cruiser. She has 4 inches of lift now with front and rear bumper with swingounts. pictures to come tmw after I drive back to Reno hauling a trailer full of dirt bikes:banana:
Enjoying a much needed beer with my dad now:beer::beer::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom