What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (125 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Forgot to post.. A couple weeks ago I finally replaced my front window seals. The driver's has always been trashed as you can see. I would have replaced the rears too but one of them was out of stock so they can wait.

Then over the weekend someone posted some parts for sale on facebook and I snagged a replacement rear window wiper relay since mine has never worked on intermittent. Definitely can see why the old one didn't work. We've been getting nothing but rain lately so it'll be nice to have the rear wiper acting normal and not all or nothing. Everything inside the hatch looked like new.. Just wiped down the dust and threw some white lithium grease on the latch and lock mechs.

My poor neglected 80 has been throwing 172 code and running rather terrible. $50 denso O2 sensor from amazon and 15 minutes later she is back to smooth running again!

also picked up a 66 inch tool chest from Costco in the 80, ran like a champ with the new O2.

Trail tested my new 35" Geolander MT G003's with the rear swaybar removed. Good flex and no rubbing. I need to off my ass and get a 4x4 labs rear bumper to hold the spare.
20191129_235550.jpg
20191130_000621.jpg

After researching tents for the last few years, I finally pulled the trigger on a 9x8 Kodiak Canvas tent. I liked the modest foot print and the fact you can stand up in it (unless you're over 6ft). Got to run out to Anza Borrego for the weekend to try it out and it did not disappoint! Winds were gusting over 30 mph all night and the tent felt very sturdy.

Also got to try out the new Yokohama G003s and my HD rear swaybar. After 5 years of running the Toyo MT's, the Yokohama's felt super buttery. Much more sidewall flex and plush ride offroad.

After Christmas my wife and I will be doing another trip down towards Los Cabos for a couple weeks, so it was nice to pull out the camp gear and take a tally of what's needed.

View attachment 2157336

View attachment 2157337
I've got the 10x14 with full side windows, best family tent ever. It's been through some crazy thunderstorms and not a drop inside. Also have the awning with surround to keep the entrance dry and wind free

@amgraham I really need to do the outer window seals and channel runs. Did you get yours from McGeorge or elsewhere?

today I finished up the Hella horn install, for anyone doing this mod they changed the internal wiring so the horn mount is no longer a ground path. You’ll need a ground wire from a terminal to your body ground or bus bar, polarity doesn’t appear to matter.

also installed Depo clear corners and marker lenses, LEDs, and the LED compatible flasher relay from SuperbrightLEDs. I have the corners set up as flashers for better visibility, so with a white LED in the lens below the headlight it’s more like a DRL or a less-bright parking light that won’t blast your entire campsite when you pull in.

NB: the OE Toyota corner trims (top) swap onto the Depo housings with a 9/10 fitment, to keep the colour scheme and any patina from the front trims consistent with the headlights and grille.
671527D1-A22C-4174-8E00-6C253E6E8323.jpeg

For what it is worth the Depo corners didn't do well in my truck, seems like maybe they need some UV protection?

1408821361126-jpg.933123

1408821391242-jpg.933125

@amgraham I really need to do the outer window seals and channel runs. Did you get yours from McGeorge or elsewhere?

today I finished up the Hella horn install, for anyone doing this mod they changed the internal wiring so the horn mount is no longer a ground path. You’ll need a ground wire from a terminal to your body ground or bus bar, polarity doesn’t appear to matter.

also installed Depo clear corners and marker lenses, LEDs, and the LED compatible flasher relay from SuperbrightLEDs. I have the corners set up as flashers for better visibility, so with a white LED in the lens below the headlight it’s more like a DRL or a less-bright parking light that won’t blast your entire campsite when you pull in.

NB: the OE Toyota corner trims (top) swap onto the Depo housings with a 9/10 fitment, to keep the colour scheme and any patina from the front trims consistent with the headlights and grille.
View attachment 2159360

Interesting and good to know. I’ll hit them with some 303 to be safe, though up here we don’t get the harsh UV as much.

me too
For what it is worth the Depo corners didn't do well in my truck, seems like maybe they need some UV protection?

1408821361126-jpg.933123

1408821391242-jpg.933125
me too, 2 yrs and junk.

Replaced the side marker lights, door courtesy lights, and tag lights in my 97 LX with led's last night. Also replaced the wipers.
Oh, and ordered a knuckle rebuild kit, birfields, and spindles from Cruiser Outfitters today. Let the fun begin! :)

Getting a Wit's End Quarter Panel Mount (hopefully in January). Starting to plan and prep for it. I thought I had a cheapo 4 gauge copper clad aluminum wire running to my amp, but it is a Kicker Oxygen Free Copper cable from years ago when copper was cheap(er). The fuse holder was warped and cracked. The installer had left copper exposed between where the shielding ended and the connector began.
Had to break it to take it apart. Cleaned upper the copper, installed new holder, fuse, and added heat shrink+adhesive protection. More to come . . .
Planning on the subwoofer amp, permanent mount for air compressor (Viair 400 if the Extreme Outback doesn't fit), and extra power ports back there.

Fuse housing replaced.jpg

20191124_123323.jpg

McGeorge is about 10 miles from where I sit right now. I ordered from Partsouq :rofl: They were a lot cheaper. Only complaint was that they were out of stock on the one rear door.

The block we sent out to be machined and buttoned up had a 94 oil pan, and since my truck is a 96 we had to clean and swap mine on.
View attachment 2159661View attachment 2159660View attachment 2159659

This sensor mount on the upper Pan one is not on the older model upper pan.
View attachment 2159662

Starting to look like a motor.
View attachment 2159658

All new hoses too!

You mentioned the pan swap. Did you remember to use the correct later oil pump drive gear and crank position sensor?

Had some scrap birch plywood in the shop, made a poor man's arm rest for the cruiser. Came close to matching stain with the original faux burlwood accents.

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom