What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (51 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

View attachment 1994174
Started my front axle 'rite of passage' rebuild today. Glad I did too, lock nut found off and spindle stripped. Looks like PO bent lock washer the wrong way and stripped the index protrusion off of it. Additionally no gasket on drive flange found and bearings made in China. New spindle ordered, part# 43401-60081 . Hoping for a smoother ride.

Tip of the hat to Cruiser Outfitters @cruiseroutfit for the rebuild kit and misc other parts. It arrived so fast that I'm sure it was mailed before I was off the phone!

I can’t speak highly enough of Cruiser Outfitters, they are truly stand up guys. I understand every company has at least one guy at some point in time that has an “off day” and might be on the struggle bus, but it’s so pleasant doing business with them I think about calling and ordering parts just to deal with good people

Been on road for almost a month met up with several mud guys and went wheeling all over Moab and Colorado still in Kansas heading down 70E also hooked with Ronnie Dahl not once but twice and he wanted to do a walk around on truck but I left early from flagstafff and then ran into him again in Moab no walk around when rear hatch is jacked and interior was red dirt lol but it was nice he offered also hung out with @Cruzilla and his wife Matt from VA don’t know his mud name and Justin from @redlinelandcruisers took me on a serious mountain climbing exercise well call it.
0AAE4F96-0A2D-4C35-A3A7-8F42A39A96A7.jpeg
11672BC5-9F55-4E4C-B160-EA3C3C4B096C.jpeg
C3E69598-EE54-479F-8693-F2F24C40C811.jpeg
044F8F52-8066-4545-B119-294A2A444C62.jpeg

464BF1E6-9E09-40CF-9E76-FA02B244FE3E.jpeg

Been on road for almost a month met up with several mud guys and went wheeling all over Moab and Colorado still in Kansas heading down 70E also hooked with Ronnie Dahl not once but twice and he wanted to do a walk around on truck but I left early from flagstafff and then ran into him again in Moab no walk around when rear hatch is jacked and interior was red dirt lol but it was nice he offered also hung out with @Cruzilla and his wife Matt from VA don’t know his mud name and Justin from @redlinelandcruisers took me on a serious mountain climbing exercise well call it. View attachment 1994396View attachment 1994399View attachment 1994402View attachment 1994404

View attachment 1994395

Always wanted to meet Ronnie, can't get enough of his youtube videos. Sounds like a fun trip!

I can’t speak highly enough of Cruiser Outfitters, they are truly stand up guys. I understand every company has at least one guy at some point in time that has an “off day” and might be on the struggle bus, but it’s so pleasant doing business with them I think about calling and ordering parts just to deal with good people

:)

Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate it and will pass it along to the team. We certainly don't hit home runs on every transaction but we try and we use those misses to improve our parts, prices and customer service. Big things on the horizon as we settle into our new building (10x more shelving) and finally migrate to our ecommerce efforts.

Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate it and will pass it along to the team. We certainly don't hit home runs on every transaction but we try and we use those misses to improve our parts, prices and customer service. Big things on the horizon as we settle into our new building (10x more shelving) and finally migrate to our ecommerce efforts.

I also want to second this. Curt and his crew are top notch, never had a bad experience with those guys.

Don’t be so modest. I’ve called an hour past closing time not realizing what time it was and one of you guys just happened to be walking thru the shop and answered the phone to take my order. And it was over an hour past closing time, not just 5-10 minutes. I had my parts before the shop in town could finish installing my locker. That’s some pretty serious customer service my dude

Yes i did it myself. All of the products i used are from Adams Polishes. (except the alcohol) used both size buffers and (3) different pads - Microfiber pad (mostly with the heavy as its the most abrasive) Blue pad (with the heavy compound) Orange pads (for the regular correcting polish)

Spot free rinse (since i had just washed it 2 days earlier)
Adams clay bar with detail spray.
Adams Heavy correcting compound for the areas that had deeper scratches and swirls on swirls on swirls.
Adams correcting polish, on the entire vehicle (minus the hood its wrapped)
Completely wiped everything off.
Rubbing Alcohol in a spray bottle, wiped across everything i was coating with ceramic.
Adams liquid ceramic coat.

Then 2x Modelos to celebrate.

What kind of polisher do you use?
I need to do some paint rehab BAD on mine before it's too late and can't stomach paying someone crazy money to do something i'm sure i can figure out. Thanks for listing what you use for supplies. Helps immensely.

I need to do some paint rehab BAD on mine before it's too late and can't stomach paying someone crazy money to do something i'm sure i can figure out. Thanks for listing what you use for supplies. Helps immensely.
Sure thing! I couldn't stomach paying someone to do it either. The products and tools are expensive but it would cost me significantly more to pay someone to do that work and ceramic coat it.... It was my first time doing that whole process, it came out better than I expected.

Polishers are Adams 12mm and Adams 15mm.

Also if you use the microfiber style pad you have to get the brush to pull the fibers back up after working on an area due to it getting matted down.

Sure thing! I couldn't stomach paying someone to do it either. The products and tools are expensive but it would cost me significantly more to pay someone to do that work and ceramic coat it.... It was my first time doing that whole process, it came out better than I expected.

Polishers are Adams 12mm and Adams 15mm.

Also if you use the microfiber style pad you have to get the brush to pull the fibers back up after working on an area due to it getting matted down.
Awesome thanks for the advice.

I was more curious about the machine you used, assuming you didnt do it all by hand? :eek:

Heard the Harbor s***ty dual action polisher actually does rather well

You can knock out a polish job with surprisingly affordable gear and supplies. I used a harbor freight polisher ($50) a handful of pads ($20), some 3M rubbing compound ($15), and some wax ($15).

It's not a show car so I wasn't worried about going too fancy. My goal was to get rid of some scratches and add some shine.

I was more curious about the machine you used, assuming you didnt do it all by hand? :eek:

It actually does just fine. Its noisy as F though so wear some earplugs.

Nope, didn't do it by hand, my paint was way too hammered. The Adams swirl killers lived up to their name. 12mm and 15mm combo are a good pair.

You can knock out a polish job with surprisingly affordable gear and supplies. I used a harbor freight polisher ($50) a handful of pads ($20), some 3M rubbing compound ($15), and some wax ($15).

It's not a show car so I wasn't worried about going too fancy. My goal was to get rid of some scratches and add some shine.
Land cruisers are all show cars :cool:

Nope, didn't do it by hand, my paint was way too hammered. The Adams swirl killers lived up to their name. 12mm and 15mm combo are a good pair.
I'm an idiot. Thought you were just saying the 12/15mm pads did well. Didn't realize they were different machines from Adams!

Cruisers may not be show cars but old tired paint is fun to bring back to life!

Sexy, that thing 👆looks brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom