What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (86 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ81 said "Looks like you are moving equipment for a band! Now you just gotta get some groupies to pose in there. "

That is exactly what those boxes are, I decided to get super tough cabinetry for a good price vs Super expensive custom stuff!
They work VERY well!

The final piece to my HuddExpo skid plate done. I have some issues with the brace due to the routing and location of my exhaust and O2 sensor. @LC4LIFE addressed my issue fast and new parts were on the way.

Using a 3.5 ton jack and a short piece of 4x4 I attempted to lift my 7K lb 80. What could go wrong? After 4.5" of lift the wood started making splitting noises so I quit. It did make the plate tigher to the transfer but never touched. After removing the jack I loosen the brace and I regain lost clearance. So yes it is very important to the strength to make sure the bolts are tight.

All in all very happy with the new set up and look forward to finding contact.

IMG_2959.JPG
IMG_2960.JPG
IMG_2965.JPG

Last edited:
Here's a few from last week on Southwest Adventure 2019 on the way to Cruise Moab.
IMG_2533 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2544 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2603 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2609 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2666 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2699 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2763 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2782 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2791 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2811 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2826 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2830 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2851 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2859 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2897 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2912 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2942 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

For a trip like the one shown in these photos what would you say the minimum requirements are regarding lift, tires, lockers, winch, etc...?

Awesome photos BTW!

For a trip like the one shown in these photos what would you say the minimum requirements are regarding lift, tires, lockers, winch, etc...?

Awesome photos BTW!
Truthfully, this trip could be done quite easily in a bone stock 80 series with good tires. The SW Adventure trips are not about difficult wheeling, but more about the exploration of areas that are not the popular locations that most go for wheeling.

A stock 80 ( or most stock SUVs ) could accomplish what we did but would probably need a bit more time. We were able to travel the route at speeds that could be difficult in a stock setup.

Truthfully, this trip could be done quite easily in a bone stock 80 series with good tires. The SW Adventure trips are not about difficult wheeling, but more about the exploration of areas that are not the popular locations that most go for wheeling.

A stock 80 ( or most stock SUVs ) could accomplish what we did but would probably need a bit more time. We were able to travel the route at speeds that could be difficult in a stock setup.

That's great to hear and what I assumed would be the answer. For the up and coming explorer/overlander's out there this is good intel that you don't need a monster truck setup to access cool places.

That's great to hear and what I assumed would be the answer. For the up and coming explorer/overlander's out there this is good intel that you don't need a monster truck setup to access cool places.
Nope, don't need a monster truck, but a good suspension helps. When you can travel faster, you can see more places.

The final piece to my HuddExpo skid plate done. I have some issues with the brace due to the routing and location of my exhaust and O2 sensor. @LC4LIFE addressed my issue fast and new parts were on the way.

Using a 3.5 ton jack and a short piece of 4x4 I attempted to lift my 7K lb 80. What could go wrong? After 4.5" of lift the wood started making splitting noises so I quit. It did make the plate tigher to the transfer but never touched. After removing the jack I loosen the brace and I regain lost clearance. So yes it is very important to the strength to make sure the bolts are tight.

Looking good Phil! Thanks for the feedback too.

Some night shots of the progress on my Alu-Cab pop top expo conversion.
Cabinets are in there final mounting position.
Counter tops are installed
Flooring and L-Track are installed
Bench seat cushions are installed
Water system with hot and cold water faucet installed
On board hot water heater for shower system installed
Relay box with 4 USB power ports, Zone exterior lighting control (front, back, Left side, right side) plus a master All On mode.
Master power Circuit breaker and Blue Seas 12 Circuit fuse box.

Much more, and will update later!

View attachment 1973188

View attachment 1973189

View attachment 1973190

View attachment 1973191
you digging the counter boxes?

View attachment 1973420View attachment 1973421View attachment 1973422
Yea Im in same boat with exhaust still thinking to put the Iron pig back on, awesome part is some of the very hard to get nuts are stripped and I may leave it for now.

I made a short update video. Still deciding if I want to make a series and do a build thread, but this is a start.

What else would you guys like to see or have someone explain?

Looks like you are in Superior? And you deleted the rear heater????!!! Are you crazy?! haha.. not that it's ever cold there.
Your 80 looks amazing for being up there. All that hard work will pay off so you can keep it forever.

Looks like you are in Superior? And you deleted the rear heater????!!! Are you crazy?! haha.. not that it's ever cold there.
Your 80 looks amazing for being up there. All that hard work will pay off so you can keep it forever.
Yeah, I didn't really have a choice since the lines were totally rotten. The 80 has a great heater though and we had a tough winter but I never get cold in there.

Thanks for the compliment! It has been a lot of work to bring it back to respectability but totally worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom