What did you do on your 70 series today? (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the spirit of similar threads for other models, post up and tell us what you were up to today working on your cruiser.

----------

Originally posted by hotgemini

Today I finally got around to fixing the dash lights in my BJ74. Of all things a bloody rat had made a nest behind the dash and chewed on one of the looms.

It had managed to sever a grand total of three wires, the power feed to the dash illumination dimmer pot and both wires to the air filter restriction warning light. So with all of those fixed up, finally after 15 months, I won't have to gauge my speed by feel at night.

While I was doing that, the nopics ran the wiring for the in-dash winch isolator switch and control, the wiring for the two 10" light bars on the wings of the bullbar and re-ran the wiring for the UHF to it's new position on the front face of the centre console. She also started fitting the new dash pad to suit the dual fuel tank gauge pod and pulled out the old head unit (and the original tape deck) as a first step towards a new head unit (JVC KD-X310BT)

Apparently she works a lot more efficiently than I do.

So folks, what did you do on your 70 series today?

Last edited by a moderator:
not today coz I'm prepping my 40 for an engine swap but had a climb under the 70 series yesterday to have a look at what size efi fuel hose I need to swap over the fake bosch 044 fuel pump I ended up with for a genuine bosch pump with a non return valve so I don't have to prime the fuel rail every time I start the truck, the fittings on the new pump and the injector fuel rail are both 3/8 so I'll pull the 5/16 feed line out and replace it with 3/8 and leave the return in 5/16

fuelpump1.jpg

fuelpump2.jpg

fuelpump1.jpg

Another day playing on my BJ74.

Put the remainder of the dash bits back together from yesterday, did a bit of an araldite 2-part epoxy repair on the trim around the stereo as it had nearly cracked through around the centre-left dash vent.

Then took my truck around to a mate's shed and started working on a prototype rock slider. I'll put up a build thread and some better pics later. The intent is to retain the factory side step but mounted off the sliders instead of the sills. The we'll fab up the first step and use it to make a jig to make the opposite side unit and also a pair for my brother's BJ74. It's all *very* rough at the moment just while we work out positioning and styling, the photo shows the calibrated spacer to hold the 'slider' tube away from the sill, in the background you can see one of the saddles around the chassis rail, another tube will sit further outboard and wrap around the original side step in its new position.

2014-05-04 13.45.16.jpg

Bolted on the two 10" aurora LED light bars onto the wings of the bullbar and plugged them into the wiring the nopics had run yesterday. Not actually functional yet as I haven't sorted a switch in the dash yet, but getting closer.

Oldtoy getting some cosmetic surgery today where a couple of rust corrosion spots, in lower front of rear arch, nothing major, best to get it done now, as opposed to waiting for a larger bill down the track, I have also requested to paint up with stone guard both sides as well, to prevent any chipping and inviting rust to return.

Swapped out the master cylinder. And installed a new stereo and cup holder. The cup holder isn't necessarily the greatest but it will hold a cup of coffee.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1399691557.843107.jpg

Yep. It's a drawer to hold "stuffs".

Yes. Perhaps a couple of coins (not stacked of course). And the cup holder isn't all that great. But it will hold a coffee, which I don't drink. haha.

Tightened the fan belts up after fitting new ones a few weeks back. What a pain removing the air filter housing and A/C pump to get access a 2nd time.
Filled up the coolant in the overflow bottle.I did it a few weeks back but forgot to put the cap on and it had evaporated out and was almost empty.I hope thats the problem,its only used a cup full in 2 years up until yesterday but I cant see any leaks.

I've had the troopy(1995 HZJ75) just over 2 years and havent done anything but filter and oil changes but there is some major jobs coming up like front axle service ,timing belt kit,tie rod ends ,disc pads (possibly discs as well) hand brake and injector rebuild.
Clutch bearing lets out a small whine if you release it too fast under hard acceleration but it hasn't got any worse in 26 months,probably leave it there until it really needs doing.
Tyres are getting down and I need at least 2 new ones to stay legal

Re- power coated ARB front bumper, replaced winch wire with plasma rope, new seal and oil for winch. Installed new SuperPro heavy duty spring bushes. Left front axle seal and bearing kit to do next.

Bit of a mad rush to get things done before a 4wding weekend.

On the weekend I:
* Repaired cracked floor pan at rear mounts for base of the driver's seat, welded up the cracks in the floor itself and pressed up two channels to extend the longitudinal channels which run under the seat mounts so that they extend all the way to the lateral 'top hat' pressing, rather than fading out to nothing before they reach it.
* Modified the mounting of my kaymar rear bumper, had to plug weld up the holes which bolt to the chassis rails and redrill them, appears there may be a slight (12mm?) difference in the vertical position of these holes between troopies and middies (anyone?). Doing this finally allowed me to install the 4 x 12mm bolts which pick up on the 'pintle hook' bolt pattern on the middle of the end of frame crossmember.

Today I:
* Installed temporary compressor outlet hose (200 series speedflow,PTFE w/ SS braid)
* Temporarily installed compressor dash switch (dangling loose in the spare DIN slot, final position will be in my DIN slot switch panel)
* Temporarily wired up dash winch isolator and winch in/out switches (also dangling in the DIN slot, final position will be in the dash pod)
* Temporarily wired up my two 10" aurora single row light bars to come on whenever the high beam is on (no switch, final version will have a switch in the DIN slot switch panel)

Full grease up ,changed some tyres around and tracked down a coolant leak

Saturday Arvo

With the assistance of the good rawang doctor fixed the leaking flange seal on the diff and looks like a rebuild coming a piece of metal came out oops.

Fixed the oil leak in the engine

Fixed the broken BOOST gauge the little air filter had split

Replaced the window washer bottle which had split

Replaced the bonnet spring

Replaced the left rear brake pads and checked the disc after it went red last weekend and checked the disc all fine.

2014-06-08 13.48.20.RED.jpg

Then we checked out the left and right handbrake for leaks I have used them several times now and they work well quicker than using air locker at times. We need to change the arms to be flat so more mods needed and they need a new frame to sit on it flexes a little.

2014-05-23 07.40.37.RED.jpg

2014-05-23 07.40.50.RED.jpg

2014-06-07 18.47.53.RED.jpg

2014-06-07 18.48.12.RED.jpg

Greased up all the prop shafts and uni joints.

Last edited:
During a tree removal project I rigged a 70' ash tree to the truck and tugged the tree a bit against its favor to fell it where I wanted.

Nothing to exciting, 5000klm service, trying Bp multi fleet ci4 +/ with Jaso 1 & adjusted clutch booster/ pedal as shifting was a little tight, shifting more freely now, and engaging not so close to floor, simple job, as I got a little concerned on the clutch booster condition and inspected considering all the chatter on subject recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom