What did you do on your 70 series today? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ha did almost the same as Chris but left the windshield up 😁

Installed the pink unicorn covers on the rear doors alsoView attachment 2631280View attachment 2631281View attachment 2631282

Front door covers!
741DEE25-FCAA-4F67-9461-19007DD5D710.jpeg
2E8BD18E-BBD8-4803-A8CB-4B3EA1C4B59A.jpeg

Down South Motorsports in Brendale

You got a Down South in Oz?

That’s surprising. I can remember the days when you Aussies had very little access to USA stuff, which was why Patrol axles were such a popular swap over there 15+ yrs ago.

Cheers

You got a Down South in Oz?

That’s surprising. I can remember the days when you Aussies had very little access to USA stuff, which was why Patrol axles were such a popular swap over there 15+ yrs ago.

Cheers
We do, yes. Access to all the cool stuff is still limited, and expensive compared to the US.

Brian... that is spectacular. What an awesome engine swap that’s gonna be.

Were you able to get both ECUs for banks?

The frame width of a VDJ will most likely actually accommodate the engine width-wise.

What’s the length of that engine?
I was able to get both ecus, auto and full wiring harness with all accessories. More than likely will go full standalone engine management to support F.I. Being a 60* V over the 1vds 90*, it should fit quite easily. By all accounts, the engine is close to a 700mm (27.5") cube. Length should be an issue since the 1hz fits quite easily. I'll know more next week.

I was able to get both ecus, auto and full wiring harness with all accessories. More than likely will go full standalone engine management to support F.I. Being a 60* V over the 1vds 90*, it should fit quite easily. By all accounts, the engine is close to a 700mm (27.5") cube. Length should be an issue since the 1hz fits quite easily. I'll know more next week.

I recently measured a wide nose 70, almost 2” deeper than an 80. For what that’s worth.

Cheers

My understanding of that engine is that it can still run on 6 cylinders if one bank goes out; the other ECU takes over and controls the engine as if it were a inline 6. What an awesome feature.

Installed new quarter panel air ducts/vents. Of the old ones, one was installed upside down and brittle and broken, the other duct was broken off and laying in the bottom of the quarter panel.

new duct 01.jpg

new duct 02.jpg

Drove mine on my 160km commute for the first time ever. Had it since October but have been working on it all winter and it only got a few drives around the 'hood.

Today was the day. Great drive in the morning. Wheels need balancing, and def needs an alignment. But the way home was terrible. Severe wind gusts, things were blowing all over, and I was hanging on for dear life. Lol.

IMG_20210401_084025.jpg

Turns out I do miss boost when going uphill into a head wind. Who knew? 🤣

Cut and buffed paint today. My XO rust DIY paint job is finally hard enough after about 5 weeks. I will accomplish my goal of a cheap paint job that looks good from 30ft. Having difficulty with the meguiars polishing compound. It tends to leave a haze that is hard to remove. The coarse cutting compound cleans off easy. When I'm done compounding I'll respray the spots that ran, sanded through or compounded through with a detail gun. Polish them again later. In hindsight I have learned that cheap alkyd enamyl can give good results if sprayed in warm good conditions only. If you value your time it's best to spend the money on "real car paint" that lays out smooth and hardens up quickly as opposed to waiting weeks to to cut and buff a cheap enamel. Pics later.-R.

Real car paint is more expensive during Pandemic Times. You may have done the smart thing.

Installed some awesome Escape seat covers.

6 weeks from order to delivery to me in the middle of the pandemic. Quite admirable.

Super good quality, easy to install, perfect.

Highly recommend. They aren’t cheap so don’t bother if price is something that wads up your panties.

73D397C0-A133-49D2-B09A-6E19CDC07C03.jpeg
8581DCAC-4CEF-4196-9D69-7B179886AA27.jpeg
0544B1C3-A28D-4638-9EA8-398243C3D5ED.jpeg
1053BBF3-24D6-44AF-A3D1-CEC2294DA615.jpeg

FCEBDF13-1AA1-40A8-A762-6B709D33A97C.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom