What did you do on your 70 series today? (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I realize the red isn't for everyone (like snorkels and flares) but I kinda like it. Just seems a tad too bright in the photo.
I believe this is the 3rd or 4th LED conversion that’s been done to a 70 Series and while I’ll agree the LED’s are brighter, they never are as bright in reality as they are in the close-up photo.

I put one of these OSRAM extra bright (claim) heavy duty (legal) H4 bulb to see whether it makes a difference.

Amazon product ASIN B00CDJVY4W

The said bulb is on the right..
... I dont see a difference . 🤨 disappointing
So, my solution will be a set of new headlights wit fresh reflectors and maybe a set of rosd-legal supplementary headlights.

20201019_191739.jpg

20201019_191826.jpg

I assume that the 70's didn't come stock with Hella H4 housings and bulbs? When I bought mine it came with this setup and I replaced the bulbs with Hella H4 HD bulbs. Old bulbs had both busted welds and weren't sitting properly in the housing so my lights were essentially googly eyed. New ones came within 48 hours via Amazon, although I did call every trucking supply and auto supply in town first.

Gotta say they really work well for me. I like our trucks a lot because the headlight housing isn't buried behind a layer of plastic that can get foggy and refract the light pattern. I haven't had a chance or a good wall to properly dial my Baja Designs squadron sports yet but the H4 Hi Beams aren't too far off the range of those. No shadows or reflection off my bull bar either.

Could be a good solution to keep the stock looks and upgrade? Again assuming that Hellas were not OEM equipment.

This could of course apply to Bosch, Cibie, etc. Anything thats good enough for old school WRC cars is good enough for me.

I built some rock sliders for my HZJ73. Installed them today. I posted pics of the build in my local clubhouse:

Located Almost all the way down the thread...

3/16” 2x2” square tube, 2x4” with 1/4” Plate gussets.

ADE959FC-54CE-4085-8F5D-1B44F5648950.jpeg

5799CE4D-773A-4603-BF48-3238151BE808.jpeg

4273788E-F989-4CD7-B612-F11860823C6E.jpeg

1C9C42F2-DCA7-40E8-9317-B8031A95B0EC.jpeg

E9625321-BCF0-497E-BDF5-871DDC64EF7B.jpeg

Replaced the starter relay... the old one was pretty tired and left me having to push start to get home when I was 2 hrs away. New one installed and the truck fired right up so I went on a beach ride.

relay old.jpg

relay new.jpg

relay together.jpg

beached as.jpg

The good thing is we can STILL push start our vehicles.

A coworker dropped their keyfob at work, it broke. Newer ford, push button start, automatic. Can't open door, can't start it, completely stuck waiting for someone to bring another fob. Zero chance of "jumpering" this vehicle to start. I was able to put it back together, make the fob work and they were good after finding another battery that rolled off somewhere.

The good thing is we can STILL push start our vehicles.

Or use a hand crank if you have a 55.

Now having said that and having hand cranked a Farmall Super C in the past......I would still tend to push start (and have) the pig.

When ordering the starter relay I also ordered a Blower Resistor, which controls the fan speed for the climate control vents. Thanks to @gilmorneau for posting the PN and a description of the problem in his troopy build thread. Mine was in serious need of replacement, and all fan speeds now work.

blower motor speed resistor.jpg

And a photo of the location of the resistor pirated from @gilmorneau build thread

blower resitor.jpg

Or use a hand crank if you have a 55.

Now having said that and having hand cranked a Farmall Super C in the past......I would still tend to push start (and have) the pig.
I remember my old fj40 had a hole in the front of the bottom grill that lined up with the crank pulley for what looks like a hand crank. I cannot imagine you could actually hand crank one of those engines. They had no manual compression release device as far as I'm aware of. I just assumed it was for use turning over the engine when adjusting the valves.... Is it possible to hand start an f or 2f engine?

I remember my old fj40 had a hole in the front of the bottom grill that lined up with the crank pulley for what looks like a hand crank. I cannot imagine you could actually hand crank one of those engines. They had no manual compression release device as far as I'm aware of. I just assumed it was for use turning over the engine when adjusting the valves.... Is it possible to hand start an f or 2f engine?

Exactly what it was for. You can hand crank start those.

I've hand cranked a few marine diesel engines, some with decompression levers some without, always exciting. I was surprised at how easy the troopy with a 1Hz push started. I love a manual and can't imagine driving anything else, and that is one of the reasons why. The other reasons are from something I think I saw on mud :rofl:...

why I drive a 5 speed.jpg

Could you share more about your setup and the lights you use .. I'm looking to do something like this !
Sure mate what would you like to know?

The lights, are just strip lights I got off a friend..
Sure you could find the same on Ebay..

This video goes thru most of it, but really needs to updated now..

I feel like I'm getting baited into believing some "high speed BS". Like a cherry paratrooper being told to call the rigger and ask for some riser grease, or sent to the motor pool for new spark plugs for the hmmwv.... Anyone who I run into in person who can hand crank a fj40 for me to witness I'll buy a case of beer.

Test fit my military stretcher in the bj73 for truck camping in cooler weather. It seems to fit just fine. A litter is just as comfortable as a cot for sleeping. I can fit 2 stretchers if need be. They can carry nicely inside between seats or on the roof rack. I think this will work well for some weekend surf fishing trips on the coast.

I'm using a suspension seat for a excavator that completely folds forward. I had this in mind when I picked these seats. You could also just rest the stretcher 2" above the ground on the square pads. You can set the strecther ends on bumper and fuel/water cans, storage boxes. Place it across the hood. On the ground under the truck out of the rain if your lifted enough. On the roof rack. A litter/stretcher is more versatile for sleeping than a cot.

Surplus stretchers are around $40 each.

IMG_20201021_232021.jpg

IMG_20201021_232037.jpg

IMG_20201021_232050.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom