What did Toyota get right with the 80 series frame? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did those Venezuelan 80s have Dana or Toyota axles? Also were they Dana 60s? Some would say that's an upgrade in strength compared to the 9.5" rear; certainly it would be over the front axles..

Ours has Toyota axles.

I can't remember if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but there was a lawsuit against Kobe steel that was settled a few years back, so apparently Dana wasn't unique in using substandard metal (perhaps too many impurities, or improper milling practices), in their vehicles. Apparently the Land Cruiser was affected, although I'm not sure of the specific years. Maybe it was the 60 series, since their sheet metal will start rotting if you look at it wrong. As mentioned earlier, the 100 series also seems a lot more rust prone than the 80, so maybe they used some of the defective steel.

I'm surprised there was never a lawsuit (AFAIK) against Dana for the Tacoma frames.

The 7x frames must be comparable to a 2500/3500 HD truck here in the US I'd think. It's my understanding that their application is mostly industrial and agricultural overseas. The 80 series seems more lithe and supple off-road though; I've seen videos like the one below at the 18:30 mark, where the 79 almost rolls where an 80 and GU Patrol both walk up with no drama.

Stiff, load carrying eaf sprung rear, heavily loaded over and behind the back axle.
Vs coils, and more even weight balance.

Chalk and cheese

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom