What did I do wrong? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just went through a knuckle rebuild about 2500 miles ago - installed upgrade Marlin seals, new knuckle bearings, wheels bearings, moly/lithium grease, front diff oil...the whole 9.

Went slow, seemed like everything went well. Set the seals with a small seal driver that fit fine, nothing made me question the installation....until I was under the truck this weekend replacing a clutch cylinder and saw fluid weeping from the bottom bearing caps on both the driver and passenger side. The passenger side is the worst, actually has fluid on the threads and a drop or so a day coming off. The driver side has that saturated look around the same area but isn't wet to the touch.

The back of the knuckles themselves are nice and dry on both, no birfy soup coming out. As the seals are the only thing separating the gear oil from the outside world I clearly screwed it up somewhere but can't visualize what or where.

Any ideas?

20160202_162934.jpg

20160202_162909.jpg

Wait and see what develops. That's far from being a problem.
It may be the grease separating.
If all traces of the previous grease were not removed, and a different grease was repacked, that can sometimes cause some greases to separate a bit.

How much has the cruiser been run with the hubs locked?

If the hubs haven't been locked much, that's likely not gear oil. Gear oil only migrates when the birf is spinning. And in my experience, what's more likely to happen is the grease in the birf gets pumped into the front axle housing instead.

Drain the front diff and note the quality of the oil. You'll see right away if there's grease in it.

(and even if there is... so what).

Last edited:
As to what could be wrong, IF you have grease and diff oil mixing.
Seal (green) damaged, or backwards, or worn groove on shaft that does not allow good seal.
Bushing (red) from what ive read, if this is worn than excessive slop on the shaft can cause the seal to leak.
a.jpg

Thats all I know.

Last edited:
I second Ouput's theory that the grease is separating. Keep it stirred up and see if things improve.

The other less appealing possibility is that you mixed up your shims and the axle shaft is off center, causing the Marlin seal to leak. It would have to be pretty badly offset for it to leak already.

Appreciate the info.

I've spent no time in 4wd since the seal replacement. I rotate the hubs every so often just to check that they move smoothly but haven't driven with them locked hardly at all. Maybe 10 miles total.

I don't think I mixed the shims up, but I've definitely done stupider things.

I don't feel like messing with it again - so the wait and see philosophy wins for the time being.

What about the breather for the housing is it clear, but if you haven't been running the front it shouldn't be building pressure though.

As to what could be wrong, IF you have grease and diff oil mixing.
Seal (green) damaged, or backwards, or worn groove on shaft that does not allow good seal.
Bushing (red) from what ive read, if this is worn than excessive slop on the shaft can cause the seal to leak.
View attachment 1204580

Thats all I know.

that's a nice picture, but the green is circle is too far into the axle.
the seal you were looking to mark is to the right of it, inside the ball for the birf.

that's a nice picture, but the green is circle is too far into the axle.
the seal you were looking to mark is to the right of it, inside the ball for the birf.
I see you are correct. what I circled sure looked like a seal in the moment, but now that I look again it obviously wasn't what I was trying to indicate. Seal in question is visible in my avatar! Sorry for the confusion. pic is edited.

Last edited:
Actually haven't checked that...will look and let you know. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom