What did I do to the steering box? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK this is a stock 77' FJ40. I have a problem with the steering gear box leaking.

I did an adjustment to the steering gear and now the fluid is leaking from where the pitman arm attaches, (just opposing where I adjusted).

Steering was a bit loose, It seems to have adjusted up better, have not driven it yet to see. I Removed the 4 bolts holding on a heat shield, then under that and facing the exhaust manifold is a nut threaded onto a post that goes into the steering box. The nut just locks it in position and the post can be turned with off set screwdriver or a stubby...there is a slot in the end of the post.

Just turned the post till I felt it bottom out, then tighten the locknut to hold it in position. After that I noticed the leak at the pitman junction, definitely fresh fluid that just started dripping from there after I adjusted, (or messed up something). :whoops:

Any Idea on what I did? :doh:

When you adjust the set screw on the back of the pitman shaft you move the move the shaft through the seal and it can tear the seal. Shaft seals are cheap getting the pitman arm off is the fun part.

Kevin

It indicates that the bushings are worn out.

There is no adjustment for bushing wear on manual steering boxes. When you tighten the adjuster screw, you force the sector shaft up tight against the worn bushing, so the seal leaks. If you hit a big bump with it tightened like that, it may crack the box casting.

Replace the bushings and seals or better yet replace it with a power steering box.

Spud I am down in RI and have two manual boxes that I am not using. I can't speak for the condition but you are welcome to them if you want them. Headed up to NH tomorrow and next Sunday for the YT meeting.

Spud I am down in RI and have two manual boxes that I am not using. I can't speak for the condition but you are welcome to them if you want them. Headed up to NH tomorrow and next Sunday for the YT meeting.

Man, that would be great. I am planning to go to the meeting. I am not sure what I will be getting there in, (at this point). Appreciate the offer.

PM'ed you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom