What could be causing this leak that’s tearing a hole in my wheel well? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It hasn’t rained in a few days but when I parked today I just gave the car a quick look around and noticed some water dripping inside the rear passenger side wheel well from up above and looks like there a hole that’s been rusted behind the liner. The water is dripping from up inside the hole. What should I be looking for as far as a source? No other water leaks seen anywhere else.
F5C53F1D-5267-49CF-843D-E41DAEFB141F.jpeg

B77AC7CE-EAAD-4CDA-BFA8-1B2FC571BD29.jpeg

There should be a set of sunroof drains (and the rear A/C drain, if equipped) in that area. If they're clogged, the water backs up into the bottom of the quarter panel.

Water can also leak in there from the tail light hole, past the foam gasket which doesn't really provide a very good water seal. Once the light is removed to replace a bulb the seal is broken for good and never really re-seals again after the light is put back in place.

There should be a set of sunroof drains (and the rear A/C drain, if equipped) in that area. If they're clogged, the water backs up into the bottom of the quarter panel.
Thanks, any leads to a part number for the fender liner? Pretty much the only rust this thing has (besides under the car) and looking to replace it depending how much of a PITA it is.

If you have the rear A/C , that is where the evaporator is for that. You may have a plugged drain there, OUCH!!!

If you have the rear A/C , that is where the evaporator is for that. You may have a plugged drain there, OUCH!!!
Yeah super frustrating, just going to block off the rear a/c lines and replace the fender liner and hope no more issues arise.

I know there are two tubes poking out up underneath in that area. Easy to see if the spare tire isn't there.

I wonder if that where the AC drains or is that a drain coming from the roof?

I know there are two tubes poking out up underneath in that area. Easy to see if the spare tire isn't there.

I wonder if that where the AC drains or is that a drain coming from the roof?
I’ll give it a more thorough inspection. I assumed potential A/C because there’s been zero rain here the past few days and it was dripping pretty good after a 30min drive with the AC cranked

Did you buy this with the rear bumper already installed? If you did, I would start looking underneath it or even remove it, to see how bad you are actually looking down there. I thought my rust hole there was small and found it to be quite larger than I thought when looking at it with the bumper off. Added to my list of rust mitigation, the joys of Michigan 🤦🏼‍♂️

Did you buy this with the rear bumper already installed? If you did, I would start looking underneath it or even remove it, to see how bad you are actually looking down there. I thought my rust hole there was small and found it to be quite larger than I thought when looking at it with the bumper off. Added to my list of rust mitigation, the joys of Michigan 🤦🏼‍♂️
Fortunately the rust is contained to just the spot in the photo, but unfortunately that includes the fender liner and that portion of the body panel, so kind of a pain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom