eBay What constitutes a $20k, $30k, or $40k 80-series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
We're seeing ridiculous pricing coming from some not-so-ridiculous builds, and also ridiculous pricing coming from some clean builds but also unscrupulous sources.

So, 80-series enthusiasts - what constitutes an 80 build that can command such ridiculous pricing?

Here's some "high-end" examples (I was on an LX450 kick to match my LX470 100...but LC's are similar):

'97. No triple-lock. 113k miles. "Built." Seemingly excellent condition. $34.3k.
1997 Lexus LX EXQUISITE LOW 113K LX450 80 SUPER HIGH END ICON ARB OME | eBay

'97. No triple-lock. 156k miles. "Built." Seemingly excellent condition. $43k.
1997 Lexus LX EXQUISITE 80 SUPER HIGH END ICON ARB OME OVERLAND EXPEDITION | eBay

'97. No triple-lock. 85k miles. Stock (except new tires). Painted over rust/underbody, without a doubt. But...those miles. $26.9k
1997 Lexus LX LX450 LX 450 Low 85K mi Serviced FJ80 3rd Row Seat CARFAX | eBay

'97. No triple-lock. 113k miles. Stock. Looks pretty clean underneath. $24.9k
1997 Lexus LX LX450 LX 450 1 Owner 113K mi FJ80 Serviced Nevada No rust CARFAX | eBay

'96. Triple-locked. 182k miles. "Built." Looks like a beauty, although some interesting Toyota badges on the Lexus. $39.8k
1996 Lexus LX | eBay

And here's an example on the "low-end":

'97. Triple-locked. 170k miles. Mild modifications. Looks serviceable. $11.5k.
1997 Lexus LX450 450 | eBay

'97. No triple-lock. 181k miles. Mild modifications. Looks serviceable. $12.5k.
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser | eBay

I'm not sure uneducated consumer is the correct term here. I think a lot of us on these forums take wrenching skill and tool prices for granted. How many people these days watch how to videos 50 times over, and are still paralyzed by fear to start the job? Wrenching is a learned trade skill, and the confidence to do it isn't instilled in everyone. It's fun, but it's still hard, dirty labor which current generations find absolutely appalling. Don't believe me? Go check out reddit forums on "work boots" such as r/goodyearwelt or r/redwingshoes. Most current drivers struggle to assemble Ikea furniture.

Shade tree mechanics are a becoming increasingly rare. Where I grew up in a neighborhood of 6 or 7 of us that worked on cars, in my current, much much larger immediate circle its only me.

The cost of tools is another factor. Sure, dropping $50 on a new tool doesn't seem bad, but raise your hand if you already own $20K to $50K in tools.

With Gladiators and Wranglers clocking in at $50K at the dealership prior to any mods, a unique ultra reliable Land Cruiser looks like a bargain.
Agreed. Maybe "unwilling consumer" would have been more appropriate.

I'm not sure uneducated consumer is the correct term here. I think a lot of us on these forums take wrenching skill and tool prices for granted. How many people these days watch how to videos 50 times over, and are still paralyzed by fear to start the job? Wrenching is a learned trade skill, and the confidence to do it isn't instilled in everyone. It's fun, but it's still hard, dirty labor which current generations find absolutely appalling. Don't believe me? Go check out reddit forums on "work boots" such as r/goodyearwelt or r/redwingshoes. Most current drivers struggle to assemble Ikea furniture.

Ah yes sneakerhead subreddits clearly mean that muh ebil millenuhuls hate hard work. Go look at a construction site or any CNC machine shop.

Shade tree mechanics are a becoming increasingly rare. Where I grew up in a neighborhood of 6 or 7 of us that worked on cars, in my current, much much larger immediate circle its only me.

Because your generation calls the cops every time they see normal people outside doing car stuff, or anything beyond playing with their phone, which you also complain about. Your generation drugged millennials rather than be parents.

sy3xbf4.png

The cost of tools is another factor. Sure, dropping $50 on a new tool doesn't seem bad, but raise your hand if you already own $20K to $50K in tools.

With Gladiators and Wranglers clocking in at $50K at the dealership prior to any mods, a unique ultra reliable Land Cruiser looks like a bargain.

Yeah those vehicles also have a warranty and they're not clapped out 20+ year old vehicles with multiple owners that think just because they changed brake pads a few times and change the oil their epic legendary reliable toyota is worth $15,000.

Check out the young guy yelling at the clouds.

Grrr. So angry. :crybaby:

@86fsb. You're cute. millennials are just one of the current generations I am referring to. Much of the US population from 50 to younger don't know how to repair things. I go to construction sites and CNC shops quite a bit. They use computers, hydraulic tools, and awesome battery powered tools now, not pick axes and shovels.

I stated work boot related subreddits, not sneakerheads. Those are two completely different groups with different values.

I'm far to young to have had, let alone, drugged a millennial child.

My Challenger with a warranty is faster, more comfortable and has more horsepower than a clapped out 20+ year Hemi Cuda rustbucket, but it's worth far less than the 'Cuda.

I believe this is a "GET OFF MY LAWN!" moment.

@86fsb. You're cute. millennials are just one of the current generations I am referring to. Much of the US population from 50 to younger don't know how to repair things. I go to construction sites and CNC shops quite a bit. They use computers, hydraulic tools, and awesome battery powered tools now, not pick axes and shovels.

I stated work boot related subreddits, not sneakerheads. Those are two completely different groups with different values.

I'm far to young to have had, let alone, drugged a millennial child.

My Challenger with a warranty is faster, more comfortable and has more horsepower than a clapped out 20+ year Hemi Cuda rustbucket, but it's worth far less than the 'Cuda.

I believe this is a "GET OFF MY LAWN!" moment.

Not trying to continue the generation war here but I politely would say "F*** off" to anyone to acted superior because they think millenials (which i'm a part of) can't wrench or don't have the desire to learn how/get dirty.
Society has changed since boomers were our age and they definitely got dirty and had to learn mores skills or pay someone to do it. Now we can google how to's on just about anything.

In reference to 80 series prices. I agree with a lot of above.
I have a locked 96 i paid 2.5k for with 84k on it. And a thrown rod.
I then put $7k + into building a new motor with OEM parts, then another 10+k into modifications like a turbo, good suspension, etc.
If someone offered me 45k+ for it they'd get a refreshed well built, rust free, reliable 80 (built by a millenial :flipoff2:). I'd probably go buy a gladiator with a warranty :meh:
As much as I love my 80 and don't plan on ever getting rid of it, it's still a 25 year old SUV that's going to get harder and more expensive to maintain in 10 years, and she's a needy bitch when it comes to maintenance.

@Wompom I don't know where homeboy got this whole the Millennium Falcons vs. older generations from my post. The point was current generationSSSSS (as in the majority of people alive in western society) look down on manual dirty labor. In schools, teaching trades is gone, and replaced with computers. In general, society glorifies the white collar careers (plain clothes cops and firefighters not withstanding). Change your dating app job from lawyer to plumber and see what happens.

Again, I'm speaking in generalities. There are always exceptions to any statement.

There is a lot of value in your truck now that it's sorted. Add to that the unobtanium factor and that's why the market is where it is. Sure your 25 year old SUV will be harder to maintain in 10 years, but its also going to be worth a lot more.

HMMM...Bought my 96 Triple Locked LX450 with 180k on the clock for $19k. The PO spent $24k (not even counting what he paid for the LX) on the build with Slee and even though he bought some of his own parts (The List of Mods is too long for this post) . However, he never base lined it which i have and that was not cheap, new radiator (All Aluminum Wizard, All Heater, radiator and Vacuum Hoses, new Dizzy, Delta pan hard, winch, Tune-up, TB cleaning, new throttle cable, etc. etc.) Supported the Vendors on this page Shout out to Joey at Wit's End, Delta and Cruiser Parts. Added a bunch of other goodies SCS rims, cleaned and treated all he surface rust on the whole under carriage and used POR-15, LED Lights, etc. It's a Labor of Love, as I do all my own wrenching and enjoy it, although Toyota/Lexus do not make things easy and they are proud of their parts!
With all that said I had a kid (Anyone under 30 is a kid to me) offer me $20k and I laughed and said go buy one and build it yourself and see how far $20k gets you to get a build like mine.
So my point is i did not buy the LC/Lexus to impress anyone or make money or brag that's it's worth $XXXXXX number of dollars. I just enjoy working on cars (FJ60 wife's rig too- it's how i caught the bug, but she would not let me modify it :bang: so I finally bought my own, i just lucked out and got one the was cheaper than i could build it for and had what i wanted on it; especially in Hawaii where freight on an ARB bumper is $500). I love to wheel and I especially love to wheel to a few remote surf spots where i live. I think everyone on here loves their Wheeling and Cruisers.
If someone is able to sell their Brand of Cruisers (King's Chariots and the other guy in Pennsylvania) more power to them. However, it does push/price out cruisers from potential people that are not in the income bracket that want to buy one an work on it slowly and build it out as funds allow. That's unfortunate about the whole rising prices in cruisers.
The Current rise in market prices is driven by people that can't build a rig but have sufficient means, so they buy a built one or have someone build it for them to Pose or Drive to the Mall to impress people and or because it's the new rage.
Age does not matter when it comes to fixing vehicles i've met all ages that were solid wrenchers and others of all ages that couldn't tell you which way to hold a wrench.
What connects us on this venerable forum is the love of vehicles, it's what binds everyone on this forum, their love of fixing their vehicles themselves and the accomplishment felt is what satisfies us and sharing our knowledge and helping our fellow mudders.
Sorry for the Rant! I am glad we all do not think the same way it would be boring Forum and World.
Once this Conundrum is over we all need to go out and explore and challenge ourselves and our cruisers! Till then I'm passing the time fixing mine up and making it my own Cruiser.
All the best to everyone!

What constitutes a given price evaluation LC/LX (or anything) is purely what you/a buyer is willing to pay. Since I have no interest (or bank account) for a $25k+ rig it doesnt matter how well maintained or modded it is, I just can't afford or need it. It also depends on personal preference - do you place more value in a clean stock low mileage well documented one owner, or one that is modified/armor/lift/supercharged/etc.
Bottom line is deciding what the vehicle is worth to you. The demand vs supply decides the price that they sell at. There's no classic Jaguar E or Mercedes Gullwing that is worth $2.5M to me, I'm not in that tax bracket but also do not care.
I'm steering clear of the generational talk.

This is a fun thread. Not sure where it's headed, but I doubt there will be much actual (or anecdotal, implicit, empirical, semi-additive) or other facts/evidence to support what actually constitutes a $2, $3, $4, $8 burger.... errr 80 on here other than ads/threads that read SOLD.

As for the whole generational :worms:. I've been a military cog for awhile now, having worked my way up in aviation maintenance for closing in on two decades. I drive my 28 year old cruiser to a 78 year old airbase to manage maintenance on 40+ year old aircraft with a workforce ranging in age from 19 - 60+ (not counting crusty-ballz contractors). The only consistency between all these "Genz" is that everyone still has an opinion, however they express it. I've got 20 somethings that can trouble-shoot, tear down and overhaul power plants, airframes and avionics as solidly as the "old salts". And old salts who still screw up righty-tighty and inch or foot lbs. So to be fairrrrrr.

Irregardlessly, I do know that all LHD 1992 HDJ80's (especially with the rare, factory deleted 3rd row) are easily worth $30K or $40K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom