eBay What constitutes a $20k, $30k, or $40k 80-series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
We're seeing ridiculous pricing coming from some not-so-ridiculous builds, and also ridiculous pricing coming from some clean builds but also unscrupulous sources.

So, 80-series enthusiasts - what constitutes an 80 build that can command such ridiculous pricing?

Here's some "high-end" examples (I was on an LX450 kick to match my LX470 100...but LC's are similar):

'97. No triple-lock. 113k miles. "Built." Seemingly excellent condition. $34.3k.
1997 Lexus LX EXQUISITE LOW 113K LX450 80 SUPER HIGH END ICON ARB OME | eBay

'97. No triple-lock. 156k miles. "Built." Seemingly excellent condition. $43k.
1997 Lexus LX EXQUISITE 80 SUPER HIGH END ICON ARB OME OVERLAND EXPEDITION | eBay

'97. No triple-lock. 85k miles. Stock (except new tires). Painted over rust/underbody, without a doubt. But...those miles. $26.9k
1997 Lexus LX LX450 LX 450 Low 85K mi Serviced FJ80 3rd Row Seat CARFAX | eBay

'97. No triple-lock. 113k miles. Stock. Looks pretty clean underneath. $24.9k
1997 Lexus LX LX450 LX 450 1 Owner 113K mi FJ80 Serviced Nevada No rust CARFAX | eBay

'96. Triple-locked. 182k miles. "Built." Looks like a beauty, although some interesting Toyota badges on the Lexus. $39.8k
1996 Lexus LX | eBay

And here's an example on the "low-end":

'97. Triple-locked. 170k miles. Mild modifications. Looks serviceable. $11.5k.
1997 Lexus LX450 450 | eBay

'97. No triple-lock. 181k miles. Mild modifications. Looks serviceable. $12.5k.
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser | eBay

Well as the old saying goes... something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay!

As an 80 Series owner I fully support these prices! I hope they get what they're asking! Only benefits us in the long run!!!

Well as the old saying goes... something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay!

As an 80 Series owner I fully support these prices! I hope they get what they're asking! Only benefits us in the long run!!!

Yeah, I've had the same thought as a 100 owner as well. But we're all speculators here. We're all Keyboard Commandos. We're all...well, we're all opinionated. So I wonder about the consensus here.

For what it's worth, the guy in Pennsylvania is known to have some lipstick/pig-type trucks, and many say his trucks don't go near asking. The guys at King's Chariot seem to get closer to asking...and people who want ready-built trucks and have too much money go to them.

But for the rest of us, where's that line?

I agree that the demand dictates the price but damn these 80's appear to triple in value once they start getting modded or at least the sellers would like to believe

I would not pay anywhere near what those people are asking for their respective 80's - I'll get a lot of hate on this forum for saying this but who the hell would really pay 30-40k for a non locked 20+ year old vehicle.... Should just go get a jeep rubicon at that price point - yes I said it 😝

I agree that the demand dictates the price but damn these 80's appear to triple in value once they start getting modded or at least the sellers would like to believe

I would not pay anywhere near what those people are asking for their respective 80's - I'll get a lot of hate on this forum for saying this but who the hell would really pay 30-40k for a non locked 20+ year old vehicle.... Should just go get a jeep rubicon at that price point - yes I said it 😝

Except a Rubi or Gladiator will run $50 to $60K. A $30K Rubi is often a beater, or is in the same condition as those 80’s just younger.

These are almost all LX450s. Sorry to be snob, but I much prefer the Landcruiser look. More Traditionalist.
No Lexus in the 40s, 60s 62s... and only the last 2 years of the 80. To me, the LX only really starts to make a name for itself with the 100 series and definitely the 200 series.

In addition to agreeing with everything already stated (it's only worth what someone will pay, everyone is free to ask whatever they want, etc.), I think there is a lot to be said for good MARKETING.

1. Spend $200-$300 on a good interior/exterior detail and the perceived value immediately jumps $1-2k in my opinion, maybe more. - It always surprises me when I see trucks listed for $10k or more and the interior photos look like two toddlers had been playing in the back seat with a kids meal for an hour.

2. High quality, edited photos go a long way, especially when there is a large quantity of them. That seems to be a common denominator with the ads above. Whether real or not, clean, well photographed trucks also appear to have very low miles on the mods, if any. Something to be said for feeling like you're not buying someone's sloppy seconds.

3. Build a brand - As mentioned above, King's Chariot has built a nice brand on social media with over 8k followers on IG. All that's posted are pics of cleanly built vehicles; nothing else. This, plus the things above create legitimacy for unknowing buyers and provides some comfort.

As for the $30-$40k prices, while they may seem outrageous to a long-time cruiser enthusiast, I think we'll largely agree it's not the average MUD member who is buying them. For the uneducated consumer, who has ample financial means but little time or desire to research and build a truck, the turnkey solution is attractive. When considering the cost of a clean, stock 80 series + the retail cost of all the mods to make it what they want + install labor, they're probably only spending a nominal amount on top of that for a turnkey truck, which is unique relative to the dozen or two wranglers they see each day on the road and similarly priced.

I've got my sub 100K mile, locked 80 on the market. Not "built" in any way. I'm in her for a ton of dough and not looking to give her away. Many tire kickers are thinking they can pick her up for what I paid 2.5 years and $10K ago. Most casual/would-be owners severely underestimate the effort and cost to keep an old, pristine luxury SUV in that condition. And that's why there are so many needy 80's out there. If the rust doesn't get them, the neglect and abuse will.

It's like when one of the "barn find" type 80s come on the market once or twice a year with incredibly low miles, but haven't been driven in 15 years. They sell for 35-40-50K and STILL need a massive expenditure to refresh them in order to be ready for regular seasonal duty in Vail or Hyannisport.

Cross shopping a 25 year old 80 with a new Heep? Uh, no.

Sold my 80 for over $40k 2 months ago- slee 4.7, slinky suspension, and a lot of upgrades. New owner is loving it and I’m missing it. But as my dad said “oh, I liked that one a lot (I’ve had quite a few LC’s) why did you sell it...oh, I didn’t like $42k much.”

As for the $30-$40k prices, while they may seem outrageous to a long-time cruiser enthusiast, I think we'll largely agree it's not the average MUD member who is buying them. For the uneducated consumer, who has ample financial means but little time or desire to research and build a truck, the turnkey solution is attractive. When considering the cost of a clean, stock 80 series + the retail cost of all the mods to make it what they want + install labor, they're probably only spending a nominal amount on top of that for a turnkey truck, which is unique relative to the dozen or two wranglers they see each day on the road and similarly priced.

I'm not sure uneducated consumer is the correct term here. I think a lot of us on these forums take wrenching skill and tool prices for granted. How many people these days watch how to videos 50 times over, and are still paralyzed by fear to start the job? Wrenching is a learned trade skill, and the confidence to do it isn't instilled in everyone. It's fun, but it's still hard, dirty labor which current generations find absolutely appalling. Don't believe me? Go check out reddit forums on "work boots" such as r/goodyearwelt or r/redwingshoes. Most current drivers struggle to assemble Ikea furniture.

Shade tree mechanics are a becoming increasingly rare. Where I grew up in a neighborhood of 6 or 7 of us that worked on cars, in my current, much much larger immediate circle its only me.

The cost of tools is another factor. Sure, dropping $50 on a new tool doesn't seem bad, but raise your hand if you already own $20K to $50K in tools.

With Gladiators and Wranglers clocking in at $50K at the dealership prior to any mods, a unique ultra reliable Land Cruiser looks like a bargain.

Evsryone keeps bringing up brand new wranglers/gladiators, not sure why - Rubicon model started in 2003 with the TJ Wrangler and those can easily hang with 80s and can be had for mid teens - lets be fair here.

To 99% of people - a $30-40k 80 will never be a bargain

These are almost all LX450s. Sorry to be snob, but I much prefer the Landcruiser look. More Traditionalist.
No Lexus in the 40s, 60s 62s... and only the last 2 years of the 80. To me, the LX only really starts to make a name for itself with the 100 series and definitely the 200 series.

I disagree Mr. Snob! :rofl: But I get it...and that sentiment is not unique around here.

MY OPINION - regardless of the badge, these LX's are Land Cruisers - especially in the 80's. You're right that the 100's (and absolutely 200's) is where the LX really came into their own.

But here's some LC examples since all but one was an LX that I posted before.

'95. No mileage listed. Seemingly highly modified. Doesn't mention lockers. $29.9k.

'96. 200k miles. "Built." Doesn't mention lockers. $38k.

I've got my sub 100K mile, locked 80 on the market. Not "built" in any way. I'm in her for a ton of dough and not looking to give her away. Many tire kickers are thinking they can pick her up for what I paid 2.5 years and $10K ago. Most casual/would-be owners severely underestimate the effort and cost to keep an old, pristine luxury SUV in that condition. And that's why there are so many needy 80's out there. If the rust doesn't get them, the neglect and abuse will.

It's like when one of the "barn find" type 80s come on the market once or twice a year with incredibly low miles, but haven't been driven in 15 years. They sell for 35-40-50K and STILL need a massive expenditure to refresh them in order to be ready for regular seasonal duty in Vail or Hyannisport.

Cross shopping a 25 year old 80 with a new Heep? Uh, no.

Where's your truck posted, Ace? Not sure I've seen it here on Mud.

That said, I don't disagree that many would-be owners don't understand the cost, time, and effort that goes into keeping something older in pristine condition.

My '84 Jeep CJ7 is a labor of love. A passion, no doubt, but certainly a pain in the ass. Just when one thing is situated...the next comes up.

44141809850_7062c7e8fe_b.jpg

It certainly doesn't have the panache of a Land Cruiser or LX. But it's pretty classic. And yes, I love all Land Cruisers. I'd love to have another few in my garage, if they'd fit. So, I don't have a single ounce of hate.

Watch over on BAT. The prices for crusty 100's are not at all in line with reality. Maybe it is the end of the world and everyone wants a Land Cruiser

Evsryone keeps bringing up brand new wranglers/gladiators, not sure why - Rubicon model started in 2003 with the TJ Wrangler and those can easily hang with 80s and can be had for mid teens - lets be fair here.

To 99% of people - a $30-40k 80 will never be a bargain
That's because the 4 door Rubis and Gladiators are the closest comparison on comparable vehicles: solid axles, four plus passenger and gear capacity.
The TJs are more comparable to the 1985 4Runners & Pickups. Can they wheel better than a FZJ, sure, but bring a trailer for all your stuff, and prepare to have your kidney punched as you drive.

$30K to $40K for an FZJ80 isn't a bargain, but neither are Defenders or G-Wagons. No built 4x4 makes any financial sense. The simple truth is anything made by Toyota with the letters F & J in it are going to command top dollar.

$30K to $40K for an FZJ80 isn't a bargain, but neither are Defenders or G-Wagons. No built 4x4 makes any financial sense. The simple truth is anything made by Toyota with the letters F & J in it are going to command top dollar.

Highlighted the part that makes the most sense in all this.

@tacocat - you referrred to needing a $50k jeep in order to compare against an 80 and that's just plain silly.
This is nothing to do about need. It’s the only thing remotely comparable. If you wish we could compare it with a Defender 90 or G500 for comparison. All three are halo 4x4s.

I think $30K for an 80 series is crazy money, but as more of these appear in greatest 4x4 off all time articles and REI, J Crew or Huckberry ads, the price will keep going up.

The 80 is an old beast, but remember they stickered in 1997 for $55K. Just because it was made by Toyota doesn’t mean it should be viewed under the same lens as the Camry.

What’s this still doing in the classifieds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom