1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Compares to a LC?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by otis22, Aug 13, 2005.

1. otis22

otis22

Was pondering whether there are currently any SUVs in the market that rival the quality, true off road capabilty and serviceabilty of the Land Cruiser. Not much really came to mind with current SUVs that incorporates these points and manages to rival the Landcruiser. Any thoughts? 4 Runner, Jeep GC, Land Rover LR3 or VW Tourag?

2. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

There are two others. The LX and GX470! ;p

3. LukeO

LukeO

The Lexus versions sound about right.

Can't think of any others that wil last hundreds of thousands of miles only requiring fluid changes; well unless one intentionally wheels the sh%t out if it.

Although, I've always liked the look of the Defenders ever since I first saw the Series I as a child in the 40-50's Tarzan movies that played every Sunday.

Unfortunately Defenders only compare to pink yard flamingos, not LandCruisers.

4. RavenTai

RavenTai

5. Project FJ80

Project FJ80

The older defender 110 I think would be compairable no?
    The only difference is that who ever has one .. they still want 60-80K for a 1996 verison.
    I dont think they are worth that much... hell, im so cheep I wouldent pay 15K for a newer lc. I love my 96 80.
    But If you got the bucks to spend.. go buy a new 2006 fj80 from south america, solid axes, diesel option, and you can do the same to it as we do our 97 and older LC's

6. skyshark186

skyshark186

Media:
    Well....one time I did buy this sweet bike that only needed a chain.... :D

My 80 has been tested in all ways but one. Hopefull soon. :D

7. bulldog-yota

bulldog-yota

Well the LX does obviously. The GX and 4R is almost there, they offer more onroad capability, but less offroad capability IMHO.

8. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

I second that. If you can find a grey market G-wagen in Diesel, snap it up.

THe defender is a good off roader, I don't hink it has the quality of a Cruiser or a g-wagen though.

Fred

9. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Foreign Nissans shall inherit the Earth .. as we sit smugly by.

Free your mind ...

10. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

The GX470 is a Landcruiser Prado (120) with different badging, more plush interior and electronic gadgets. The 4runner is not. The 4runner shares some Prado traits, but it is not a Prado! That being said, I disagree with your statement that a GX is "almost there". Behind the plastic bumpers and ugly running boards lies a real Land Cruiser. Drive one and you will understand.

11. Jonathan_Ferguson

Jonathan_Ferguson ★ is in the wrong locale SILVER Star

You fools are very ignorant. :flipoff2:
    Nissan Patrol
    Toyota Prado
    Landrover 130
    Toyota Hilux

12. RavenTai

RavenTai

none of those are sold in the US

13. gorister

gorister

FERGIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Throwing in the Fergyisms

14. KliersLC

KliersLC

Nissan Safari and Pajero, Diesel optional, Japanese Quality, also not sold in U.S.

Dan

15. bulldog-yota

bulldog-yota

FUnny thing is that I OWN both the GX470 and the new 4Runner. They have excatly the same frame and suspension setup. The GX has Air suspension the back (same as option on 4Runner and Prado Grande in Aus). The V8 4Runner also has exactly the same engine and driveline as the GX. Once you lie underneath the 4Runner and GX you wont be able to tell the difference. The GX can no be had with KDSS, which is a cool suspension option (not availible on Prado or 4R).

The 100 is still cleaner underneath compared to the 4R or GX. Both the smaller ones are very capable and I think people are only starting to find out now really how good they are. But I still believe for offroad the 100 adn 80 has a definite edge, after wheeling with the LCs. How big this edge is remain to be seen. Teh thing is as a DD the 4R is the sporty one and I would take the GX over the 100 anyday for onroad driving (main reason why it is in the garage and not a 100). If my ship comes in I would like to a 100 to the fold. But for now my 4R will have to do offraod duty, which is does pretty well.

Unfortunately we dont see any real competitors in the US for the LC, the Patrol is not availible here and I would say that is probably the only real competitor to the LC.

16. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A post like this should have a few pics at least. Second one look familar to anyone? ;)

17. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    I was always thought the aussie Ford Maverick was ok too especially the 4.2 turbo diesel 5 sp:D

18. PUPTLAM

PUPTLAM

Media:
    Albums:
    just buy an FJ40 and never worry about anything again,,, umm Yeah, Thats what I said,,,What?

19. FirstToy

FirstToy

GX and Prado don't share the same engine- that's a big difference (4R & Prado do.) It's hard to compare all 3 b/c they share so many components and the trim levels mix things up alot too. Can't buy the Prado here so it's pointless to go further, imo.

If you strip all three (GX, 4R, 120) to the bone, they are essentially identical.
    However, the GX is a real lux ride with "best" of all three in content and appeal I think. I actually prefer the sporty flavor and drive of the 4Runner but absolutely love the luxury content & features of the GX.

What compares to the LC? Nothing man. Sometimes I think you guys take your LC's for granted and think the grass is greener elsewhere.
    Think the Patrol is better? Check that one Aussie that traded his Patrol in for a 100. He wrote a great comparison review.

As for US alternatives, I find it hard to see anything overall better than a 06 LX470... if you plan on wheeling, it would be LC or LX or LR 3 (capable and modifications readily avail) but the LR3 cant compare to the luxury, quality or reliability. Huge factors in this price range I would think.

G500? Overrated and overpriced and good luck buying parts and upkeeping it.
    Both the LR3 and G500 have a more "offroad ready" look. Which is probably a big factor in their appeal.
    Treg has a beautiful interior and would be just like sitting at home (since both would be immobile objects ;))

Pajero is the Montero. I think that's a pretty good suv... though it has some odd styling.

I'm not talking about the 80 b/c the orig. question was NEW suv's on the market.

20. RavenTai

RavenTai

overpriced, yes very much so, but solid front axle and 3 lockers is more than an "offroad ready" look, you cannot get this in any current Toyota sold in the US, parts would be a big problem, dealer only and likely a small fortune. intitial cost is a big problem also.

look familiar?

[​IMG]