What comes close? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
Moving to Canada and may not be able to take my LC with me or purchase another one....
What American SUV come close (or do you recommend) in term of reliability, dependipility, capability, safety and longevity?
Please be generous with your opinions..
Thank you.
MD.

Hi all,
Moving to Canada and may not be able to take my LC with me or purchase another one....
What American SUV come close (or do you recommend) in term of reliability, dependipility, capability, safety and longevity?
Please be generous with your opinions..
Thank you.
MD.

Nothing, sorry:p

The Toyota 4Runner's are great trucks. Smaller but also a bit more gas friendly. Very similar to the Prado. Then there's the Lexus GX which is a rebadged and blinged Prado. Both, while not full heritage Land Cruisers are excellent vehicles.

A great value choice with a good helping of off road ability is the all new Grand Cherokee. Just make sure to spec 4WD and skid plates as they are not standard. Tahoe's and Expeditions are decent trucks but useless off road and long in the tooth. LR4 is another choice that is very capable off road and priced well though reliability can be patchy and as far as I know smaller than 19s cn't be fitted due to the calipers. Aforementioned GX460 is another choice where you get a lot of tough truck for the money too.

Last edited:
Beno, do you feel the Prado/Lexus GX has a better build quality than the 4Runner?

BTW, I still owe you a bottle of your choice for checking out that 80 for me. What's your favorite potion?

MD.

If you're moving with a big family there is always the Sequoia which is a more budget friendly very large SUV. It's a very reliable, dependable, safe vehicle but it's not built to the same standards as an LC, it is also not designed as a heavy use off road vehicle.

Beno, do you feel the Prado/Lexus GX has a better build quality than the 4Runner?

The 4Runner and GX/Prado are built, in their current iteration, at the Tahara Plant for the US market.

Prado's are built elsewhere in the world for local markets depending on market conditions and are also built by Hino in different parts of the world as well.

The original iteration of the Prado (LJ78's etc) in the 1980's were built at the Yoshiwara Plant where LC's were also built by ARACO.

The GX/Prado is a heck of a rig. I would not be afraid to wheel it.

Many thanks for your imputs.
Among the Toyota SUVs and pick ups available in Canada, which would you recommend and why?
Again, thanks...

You would also have the option of importing a US vehicle to Canada.

You would also have the option of importing a US vehicle to Canada.
Thanks GordJ,
Sure but what American brand/sub brand SUV come closest?
Still can't find one which is agreed on by at least three people that actually have owned or driven them ;)
Wrong forum maybe!

most of the people on this forum stick to land cruisers because they are fans of the vehicle's over-engineering.

i've driven quite a few american made SUVs and, IMO, none of them "comes close". we (americans) over emphasize bling and muscle in our designs, at the expense of "reliabily, dependability and longevity".

most of the people on this forum stick to land cruisers because they are fans of the vehicle's over-engineering.

i've driven quite a few american made SUVs and, IMO, none of them "comes close". we (americans) over emphasize bling and muscle in our designs, at the expense of "reliabily, dependability and longevity".
Thanks Mark71,
If there were no Land Cruisers on earth whatsoever and you were forced to purchase an American made (or other) SUV at gun point, what would it be?
Forgive my explicitness!

1. Mercedes Benz G500
2. Toyota 4Runner - Trail Model
3. Lexus GX470
4. Mercedes Benz GL350 Bluetec
5. 2011 VW Toureg TDI
6. Then USA made SUVs

Need to know what you plan to do with the vehicle, tow, haul 5 adults, haul 2 adults and gear, etc.

1. Mercedes Benz G500
2. Toyota 4Runner - Trail Model
3. Lexus GX470
4. Mercedes Benz GL350 Bluetec
5. 2011 VW Toureg TDI
6. Then USA made SUVs

Need to know what you plan to do with the vehicle, tow, haul 5 adults, haul 2 adults and gear, etc.

Hi uzj100
That's more like it, thanks.
Man, the more I understand the other comparative choices the more I'm convinced the LC is the absolute best.
As to the type of use, likely general for a family of four but now that I will be in Canada, there maybe a boat, some light trail and of course the much dreaded; snow!!
I have noticed in previous threads talks about importing a brand new LC from the US to Canada but what about importing a slightly used 200, I wonder?
Would appreciate if some of you can chime in on this.

I'm priced out of Mercedes, and don't love their reliability issues. If the LC didn't exist these are the 6 that I would shop:

1. Toyota 4Runner
2. Lexus GX470
3. Toyota Sequoia
4. Nissan Pathfinder
5. Nissan Xterra
6. Ford Explorer

Last edited:
I'm priced out of Mercedes, and don't love their reliability issues. If the LC didn't exist these are the 6 that I would shop:

1. Toyota 4Runner
2. Lexus GX470
3. Toyota Sequoia
4. Nissan Pathfinder
5. Nissan Xterra
6. Ford Explorer
Interesting, a 4Runner before the GX470 and Sequoia!
Will look into a comparison.
Thanks.
MD

Interesting, a 4Runner before the GX470 and Sequoia!
Will look into a comparison.
Thanks.
MD

I'd probably put the Lexus GX at the top of my list but it's a fair bit pricier than the 4Runner. Budget weighed in on my list.

I rank the Sequoia below the others because it's soo big, and not as offroad worthy as the 4Runner and Lexus GX. The build quality (fit and finish) isn't quite as high either. For snow (with proper tires) and fire roads it's good. It has the same ATRAC and VSC as the Land Cruiser. If you will be towing heavy loads and going on family road trips, it's a real contender. It'll fit 8 comfortably.

I put the 4Runner in front of the GX because of the interior not being so nice. The big tree (seq) is just too big for me to drive everyday. Also, the new seq interior is not to my liking. THe MB's were listed if were ready to spend crazy buying and maintaining. Some folks don't mind that, The VW was listed because of the great fuel mileage (you will still be taking a chance on reliability. Drive them and all and see what fits your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom