What color should I paint my 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm digging the Yosemite Yellow as well. Mainly because that's what mine is (I think). Here's a pic of mine, plus one of where I'm taking it..

Home.jpg

Yellow BJ40.png

Although two of my favorite colors are Spring Green and Capri Blue.

Well, local paint dealer says he's sure it's 6H9! :) I agree with you that my pic and your pic look like different colors. This has come up a couple of times in other threads...that the appearance of 6H9 in photos, and to some extent in-person, depends a lot on how much light is directly/indirectly shining on it...part of the allure of 6H9! Mine is freshly painted...I think fading is probably another factor, too? Anyway, when I get back to my place, I'll try to find a couple more pictures of the truck I posted above, taken in different light to show how it looks under different light conditions.

As promised, sev'l pics of the same truck in different light...
View attachment 2424052View attachment 2424053View attachment 2424054View attachment 2424055
My wife...a wise woman...agrees with you that "my" 6H9 and that of the rig you posted don't look like quite the same color. Even I see mine as appearing to have more green, I guess, and the one you posted as having more olive or maybe tan in the mix. That said, we're looking at pictures...on computer screens...so I'm not sure how accurate any of this actually is. Looking at the pic you posted, I hope mine fades or mellows a bit so it looks more like that than it currently does. Good luck picking your color!
So-o-o...got mine back from mechanic and have been looking at it in the sun and from various angles. Think I've concluded mine is not 6H9 as I've seen it elsewhere...mine is slightly more spruce, has slightly less yellow pigment, maybe?

So-o-o...got mine back from mechanic and have been looking at it in the sun and from various angles. Think I've concluded mine is not 6H9 as I've seen it elsewhere...mine is slightly more spruce, has slightly less yellow pigment, maybe?
My guess is yours would need more white in the mix to get to 6h9. Painters often get their mix a bit different compared to other painters. I always ask for a sample spray on a junk fender or something to see what it looks like. Both of my last paint jobs I had the painter shoot a few different variations of the mix until I got what look I wanted. Especially on my fj40, his first spray out I was not happy with at all, it was way off.

Did you have to use a spacer in the front on the wheels? I've got wheels and tires sitting here, but no rig. I did a 16x7 wheel and whatever the smallest offset was. EC-10 comes to mind?

I'm thinking if it clears the tie rod end, it's going to be REALLY close. Or, I'm going to have to stick a 1/4" spacer in the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom