What color celing fan should I get? Calling interior decorators...

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by mabrodis, Jul 14, 2005.

1. mabrodis

mabrodis

(no this is not a joke, I'm trying to rid myself of relationship talk for a brief second, and since it's been bloody hot I want a ceiling fan)

House wall/ceiling color is off-white, trim is white, carpet is beige. Nothing in the house adds much color, I want to get atleast one ceiling fan, the most obvious choice is white, but it would look kinda bla I think. I thought brushed nickel would look better, so I bought a fan last night and installed it, the blades were reversable, either black or a white-washed wood look, I put the white-washed side down. Fan looks pretty good by itself, but there is nothing else nickel in that room or the entire house. Door handles are shinny brass, but all of the brass ceiling fans look really cheesy to me, very gawdy...I was thinking of getting a darker color, like black or dark brown, or maybe antique brass, but once again there is nothing else in the house antique brass...

I'm thinking of taking it back and getting the white one afterall, I don't want it to look wierd, I was just hoping something other than white would work, so it would give the house some color. I need probably 3 of these fans, all for different rooms, they ofcourse don't have to all be the same color or style, but I like this style and they aren't overly expensive ($79 for the one I got with the 4-light-kit).

So would a brushed nickel fan look really odd in a mostly white/beige room? With the black trimmed blades and the nickel it looks sharp, but just doesn't really 'go' with anything else...

Ideas?

2. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Darker, antiquey looking metal, dark wood colord blades.

3. mabrodis

mabrodis

You think the antique stuff would look ok in a house that has no darker wood of any sort? Closest thing we have is the entertainment center and mantle are oak with a light finish, so basically a light oak, kitchen cabinents are natural maple (very light)...we came from a townhome that had black and white checkered floors, counter-tops, backsplash, cuppords...seriously, it was hideous, so we wanted just simple, calming white...but now I'd like some color, just not white/black checkered.. :D

4. Jman

Jman

If you are in a modern house, go modern, screw the faux brass crap. Get the one with the "best" style, and if you don't like the color, well, Krylon can help. Heck, paint the nickel one, since you have it already. Paint the blades, if you want (just use thin, even coats).

And, maybe a pic would help? A pic of the room? With the nickel fan installed?

5. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    anything that works and isn't pink

6. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

If the ceiling fan is more that $100 then put the cash towards your first sitdown with a lawyer Mark. Really ....

TY

7. archie

archie

I think that you might have a room that doesn't really have an "anchoring" object(s) that you can "match" with your ceiling fan. My opinion is to match your ceiling fan to your doorknobs because it will be kinda hard to change over the hinges on the doors to try to match everything that is of similar metal color. The fan blades can be painted similar to the furniture theme color to give it more contrast to the ceiling and harmony to the surrounding furniture. Good luck and post pics!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.