What color are the fuel cut selenoid wires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
The PO cut the factory plug off when he installed a weber carb. I since have put back on the factory carb and have just crimped a spade connection to the wire to hook up the fuel cut sel. But in the loom of 3 wires that come to that area are discolored. What color are yours? I put the spade on the one that has 12volt with the key on. The other one is a ground I think cause it never has power. The last one has 6 volts when the key is on. What is this 6volt used for? It that supposed to go to the fuel cut sel.
Thanks
Andy

3 wires to the idle solenoid? There should only be 2, and 12v not 6.

jwest said:
3 wires to the idle solenoid? There should only be 2, and 12v not 6.

What he said...
The plug you have is probably one of the emissions connectors. The I/C wires were yellow and black IIRC. Keep in mind that you have to have a functioning emissions computer for the IC to work.

FJ40Jim said:
I don't know the colors right off hand, but the 3 wires coming out of the loom together there are:
-ICS 12V+ (ign. power)
-ICS Gnd- (emiss. computer)
-temp sensor, carb cooling fan
AH this might be why I can't get my carb cooling fan to work. Any one have a pick of the temp sensor for the carb cooling fan?
Electrical stuff is sooo much fun when your a dumbass...........NOT!
Thanks Guys

The cooling fan temp sensor is mounted vertically on the rear drivers side of the block, between the carburetor and the firewall. It looks like a plug screwed into the block with a connector sticking out the top.

The sensor wire is green and should have a simple spade connector.

jwest said:
The cooling fan temp sensor is mounted vertically on the rear drivers side of the block, between the carburetor and the firewall. It looks like a plug screwed into the block with a connector sticking out the top.

The sensor wire is green and should have a simple spade connector.

My motor is out of a 83 fj40. Would that have this sensor? I'll look tommarow during the day light.

What the hell did I write...

The above is the water temp sensor.
The carb fan/manifold temp sensor is mounted horizontally (east/west) on the rear drivers side, under the manifold area. It's a green wire. Hope that clears up any confusion. And yes, the '83 2F out of a 40 will have the same sensor.

jwest said:
What the hell did I write...

The above is the water temp sensor.
The carb fan/manifold temp sensor is mounted horizontally (east/west) on the rear drivers side, under the manifold area. It's a green wire. Hope that clears up any confusion. And yes, the '83 2F out of a 40 will have the same sensor.

Is your rig pointing north when looking at the sensor?;) I'll look today.
Thanks

FJTOYMAN said:
Is your rig pointing north when looking at the sensor?;) I'll look today.
Thanks

Hahahaha... :cool:

I've been on cold medicines, trying to fight off something off for the last three days. North, south, e, w, I don't know what the heck direction I'm pointing, let alone what i'm writing. :eek:

Is this the sensor?

I don't know if I hooked up the right thing. There was an old wire connection there. It looks like if a flange off the egr system. This is what I found.
I know the fan works and the relay clicks when I put power to the green wire but the fan does not seam to come on.

Last edited:
Yes that's it, although the pic looks like it's rotated 90' cw. Bet it was tricky to get in there with a digicam.

That yellow wire should be one of the trio in the FCS loom, normally I believe it's green or white with fabric insulation. Can you follow where it leads?

The fan is only triggered after shut off and above the desired temp. It's never on during ignition. I don't know the precise temp the sensor triggers the fan, but for me, a 15 minute drive on a 70' day, usually does it.

I only had yellow wire that small laying around. I cripmed it to the green wire coming out of the fcs loom.
Maybe its not hot enough. It only been about 45 -50 degrees around here. I've driven it for about a 30 min drive, averaging 55 and it didn't come on after I turned it off.
On a different subject, I droped the wife off at work today. She drove and I noticed a grinding sensation on the passenger side floor board. Hmm not good. So I pulled the passenger side tire and the stinking rotor is shot. Its worn through to where there is only about 1/8" till it reaches the vains. Amazing what other thing you can notice when your not driving.
Thanks jwest for all your help.

FJ40Jim said:
I don't know the colors right off hand, but the 3 wires coming out of the loom together there are:
-ICS 12V+ (ign. power)
-ICS Gnd- (emiss. computer)
-temp sensor, carb cooling fan

If my truck just started stumbling again and suddenly the carb fan isn't working could it have something to do with this wire loom?

FCS wire loom color black-yellow 12v, green ground. Not sure on manifold temp sensor.

PS: Do yourself a favor since your in there and ground the ground wire of the carberator side of wire loom of ICS to chassis ground to eliminate the floating ground thru the computer on these systems. Jim C. help me solve this problem!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom