What catalytic for a 95 Fzj? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got my 2nd 80, beautiful truck except for the awful color and the fact it's throwing a code with the catalytic. Its a 95, and I know the exhaust configurations changed across years; the nuances of which I am not very familiar with.. Previous owner looked like he had the cats hacked off, and jerry rigged something resembling an exhaust.
I just figured someone on here would know how many Cats I need, and if i need to replace the o2 sensors as well. Would one big hi flow cat suffice to get the code to go out? One big cat would be preferable in terms of ($$$) and simplicity. I don't live in CA, so I don't have to worry about cali emissions just need the light to go out for inspection and peace of mind.

appreciate any help, all the best gents!

IMG_7701.jpg

IMG_7702.jpg

IMG_7705.jpg

While it doesn't look great that system is EPA compliant with respect to where the sensor is. there should be a second cat downstream to actually hit the exhaust values associated with the truck. You can buy OEM or aftermarket exhaust that bolts right up. Here is what Rock Auto has for the headers and cat system. Hearts are for what most customers order BTW.

Capture.PNG

if you want a nice new muffler section here is what Rock Auto has for that. $150 is a great price.

Capture.PNG

Recently, my ‘97 LX cats were surreptitiously removed by some gentlemen who thought it was time for their recycling. I wondered about the (aftermarket) single cat option and whether that would keep the codes away. Eventually got enough advice and decided to keep close to spec with 2 aftermarket (MagnaFlow) cats as many have done on MUD. Getting that done next week by @CenTXFJ60 (see below what’s going on in Jimmy’s Barn) and changing the manifold studs for the Y-pipe.

Btw, the cost of 2 OEM cats from Lexus dealership is $4027+tax (no labor) 😂

I used the magnaflow option and have been very pleased.
You can go multiple different routes after that but my research on mud showed the magnaflow option was the best starting point to get the cats squared away and muffler and everything beyond can be multiple options.

John

good looks on the magnaflo, will snag some. So is the stock configuration 2x cats in line? i was looking at some system drawings, looks some have the 2 cats in "parallel" before a "Y". Ive also seen ones where they look to be a few inches apart inline on the straight section under the middle of the truck. Any clues as to which config i need? Current exhaust doesn't look exactly stock but I think I might have the 2 inline close to each other variation? I only got 2 O2 sensors. So would the inline work?

Mine were crumbling on the inside and very noisy, with horrible rattling sounds on every bump. I bought these and my local shop installed them. That plus new O2 sensors cleared my codes. Luckily. I did this in 2019!

Screenshot_20230321_194614_Chrome.jpg

Yes they are in-line but I can't recall whether the O2 sensor on is in the front or back. Either way there should be one sensor before the cats and one after.

Exhaust set up for a ‘95 LC should be the same as a ‘97 LX (mine), which is 2 inline cats, front one on Y-pipe. But I would check your FSM to verify. How it was shouldn’t matter much though. The MagnaFlow options as described are bolt on from the manifold, so include the front O2 sensor and flange together. What happens distal to that depends on how you want to handle the rest of the exhaust….

Just make sure you orient the O2 bung properly, nothing worse than ripping the wires out of the back of a good sensor.

Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 3.31.19 PM.png

appreciate the help, Im grabbing some new dense O2s, and I'm thinking these would do the trick? probably just gonna have a shop cut and weld new pipe from the Y on down with these on there. Don't feel like balling out on an OEM exhaust pipe. I gotta save money for a paint job (the color is that bad).

I love white 80s. I own two.

Eeew!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom