What carb will fit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to finish my rebuild. 70 fj40 with an f engine from a 73. Upgraded brakes to disc and installed the adapter to the firewall and added a booster and MC from a mini truck. I have both a rochester and an aisin carb, but there is not enough room to install either one, the MC is in the way. Anyone else have this problem?

I think about all you can do is cut the rib to get the booster flush with the firewall or go unboosted like I did.
GL

Ed
4WDB 001.jpg

I hope this picture works.

You can see were the carb is hitting in back and will not line up with the studs.
DSC00809.JPG

I removed the choke pull-off, fits fine and runs well.

Ed

Ed

I did a four wheel disc, will the unboosted work well? How does it work for you?

Were did you pick-up the booster? specific year(s)? any special info?

Mike

It is a Corvette 4W disc manual master offered in '75? maybe '74, too. I only run skinny 33s, but it seems to work just fine. I've never driven a boosted brake '40 so I have nothing to compare it with. It will lock them up in a panic stop..............like when a deer runs out in front of you when you are doing 60mph:eek:
I made a simple adapter that spaces it out far enough for the rear-most fitting to clear the rib.

GL

Ed
Corvette 054.jpg
GM_MCyl_Adapter 001.jpg
GM_MCyl_Adapter 002.jpg

It looks as if I did the same thing that it would work. What is the downside to this?

Thanks

I don't know. Been running that way for 2 years.....no problems. I'm sure one of the carb gurus can tell you what if any downside there is. Did you use MarkA's adapter?

Ed

I don't remember whose adapter it was. This rebuild has been going on a long time.

What did the choke pull-off do?

The downside is the operator will have to remember to push the choke knob in some immediately upon engine startup. Or else the fully closed choke will flood the engine out.
It's not a big deal, most engines didn't have a CB until the 1960's

It looks as if I did the same thing that it would work. What is the downside to this?

I removed the choke pull-off, fits fine and runs well.
Ed

Thanks Jim

I will try removing this and see if I can get the carb to fit. I really would like to keep the aisin based upon everything I have read.

I remember once, many years ago, I saw a guy that took a piece of billet and made his own billet, offset insulator to inboard the carb on his 69 cruiser. It was one of the hokiest things I ever saw.:doh:

I have seen two or three other rigs that have just removed the choke breaker and called it good. No complaints there.

Best

Mark A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom