What carb should I put in my 1974 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a new owner of a 1974 FJ40. PO has installed (? correctly) a Holley carburetor. Fuel "spews" while running. Local mechanic says I need to rebuild the Holley, or replace it with new carb. My question: What carburetor should I have installed?

Troll hole, Jimmy C, Mark's Off Road... Seem to be the best options for stock carbs.

Never been a big fan of Holley for a cruiser.

ANYTHING but a Holley!

I just ordered a Weber 38 from TPI for my '71 (2F). My stock carb is on its last legs and started overflowing with gas through the pump boot. I'm sure it's just a stuck valve, but I don't want to wait for a rebuild at the start of summer, and really just want something simpler that I don't have to tinker with all the time. I'll trade whatever benefits you get from the stock carb for the low maintenance and peace of mind of a new Weber.

I've had the choice of many different Aisan carbs over the years, the original '74 (with the mechanical secondary) is my favorite.

Troll Holes carbs are about the best you can get I think. No smog mumbo jumbo and they run amazingly well. If you can find a Aisan they are pretty easy to rebuild. If I can do it I think just about anyone can. Weber is not a bad choice either but I can say a weber is not maintenance free. I'm always tinkering with the weber I own.

Go with a Aisin. The weber I had always needed tweaking.

I have never seen a truely bad carb; just some are better than others for certain applications.

If the fuel is overflowing the bowl from the vent tubes, the quick and EZ thing to do is take the top cover off and clean out the needle valve and make sure the float swings freely. If there is junk in the needle valve, you might want to replace the fuel filter and consider where it is coming from. It is a 30 minute job and probably won't cost anything if you don't tear the gasket when you take the top off.

Weeks ago I did some simple mods to my 2 barrel Holley 350 CFM carburetor. Before the mods it would always flood when off-roading. Now after removing the float bowl with center hung float and adjusting the float to base line with spring loaded needle and seat, installing a vent baffle in to the metering block, fixed a vac line from metering block to the distributor, and installing a 2.25" vent tube... the old F motor purrs over steep jagged rock crawls with no issues! AND on the street the motor pulls very smoothly with great power - from stop/take off and threw all the gears to highway speeds! Working on the Holley was so easy and cheap and performs so well that I would not hesitate to do it again!!!

My stock 1977 2F carb seems to do very well, and gives me 14-15 mpg fuel economy (although "economy is used in its most loose term here).

What type of engine do you have? Is it a Toyota F, 2F, Chevy I6, V8???
I have this one you can have for cheap!
P7180004.jpg

V8. Tried the Holley for about 20 minutes. Bought Rochester from Sean Murphy injection. Works great right out of the box.

Problem solved: F engine (by the way), went with the Weber 38. Runs like a dream!

Do you guys have a pictures of how to instal a carburetors. On m y fj40 1974 I'm going with the stock I need to see how all the hoses go. Please Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom