What can/will the LX470 tow "Really"... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2003 lx 470. 135,000 miles, AHC delete, in place is OME Heavies. I have one of the oddball "built into the bumper hitch receptacles that you then have to buy the insert for (WHICH I'VE DONE). The tow capacity seems to vary depending on who you ask. Toyota dealer said 5k, Lexus dealer said its only a class III, but did not even rate the capacity, only saying "it's best for bikes" etc. Does anyone have an answer steeped in truth?

Last edited:
CONT... I would love to get a small airstream and pop around. no serious mountains, or insane altitude. thoughts on if this old girl can do that?

Your Lexus dealer is soft. I've towed plenty with mine. A small Stream wouldn't be a problem for it granted it's not a 25' one that weighs 7500 pounds. I'd be more skeptical over 700 lbs of tongue weight. Especially if you're not doing hills. The only thing I'd be worried about it braking. And if you have trailer brakes then I'm wasting words.

My understanding.... using the Lexus 'In the bumper' hitch, the tow capacity is rated at 5k lbs. But if you install the "under the bumper" hitch, the rating is 6k lbs when using a load distribution hitch.

I think consulting your factory owners manual if you have one, would be best. Then try to stay conservative in how much weight you tow. I tow a 20' trailer with my 2006 lx470 that is about 5.0-5.5k#'s full and a simple properly sized weight distribution hitch makes it a pleasure to tow. My hitch is mounted below the bumper and is rated for 6.5k#'s. I also added a cheap harbor freight sway control device and it helped significantly as well. Just be careful to pack all heavy items in the trailer as low as possible and right above and slightly forward of the axles keeping your COG optimized. And trailer brakes!😁

I have an '04 with 140k miles on it with stock springs and torsion bars. We tow our 2018 Lance travel trailer. The box is 8 ft. wide and about 17ft long. Trailer altogether is just under 21ft. The GVWR of the trailer is 5500# and we are probably close to it when we travel. CA speed limit is 55 when towing and I can keep that up, even up mild 3-4% grades. 6% and more and we are in the 45mph range in 3rd gear. I normally tow in 4th. I use a weight distribution hitch and mirror extensions to see around the trailer. Temps never move but the gas gauge sure does. 9-10 mpg is where we usually end up. Good luck to you.

We plan on a travel trailer in the 2 -3 years. I would be careful with salesmen also. They may push for heavier then rated trailers. Mine tried to sale me one at 6500lb starting weight.

I want one under 4000lb. My concern is also the added wear on a 20 year old truck. My preference would be a motor home to tow the LC.

Do your homework, watch a bunch of you tube videos.

Good luck!

2003, 235k miles. "Yeti" has been arguably one of the best TV I've owned. Best with roughly 5000 to 5500 lbs, trailer brakes, WD/Sway combo hitch. I've pushed it with overall and tongue weights, but find 5k to be smooth. Been coast to coast with the current setup.

Things to be aware are the total GVWR, the AHC response, and keeping an eye on the mpg. City I routinely get 12.5 to 13.5 without a trailer, and dipping as low as 7.8 pulling through the smoky mountains. After tweaking a few things (Chevron fuel system cleaner, new manifolds, and maxing tire pressure on both TV and trailer) I just averaged 11.2 from LA to Vegas. Sticking to 60 or so mph, driving in 4th makes even 6% grades very manageable.

It's not uncommon to drop into low (not limp) mode if the overall or tongue weight pushes 700 pounds. Don't sweat it, but I have found stopping, having passengers get out, and pulling on the bumper as it raises to N, it generally stays if you're not way overloaded.

I did adjust the torsion bars and bled and replaced the fluid in all 5 globes on the AHC. I do have the integrated hitch, but also bolted on a frame hitch. I would not use a WD hitch in the bumper hitch and have found it smoother using the bolted on since it distributes the weight.

There's really nothing better than traveling in such style, such capability, and luxury.

Bottom line, awesome!!

Best with roughly 5000 to 5500 lbs, trailer brakes, WD/Sway combo hitch.
That's is pretty much exactly the same as my setup. Tows great! BUT - be prepared to have the engine roaring in third gear trying to get up any hills if you have a 4spd trans.

I'm looking into a 100 series to pull my FJ40 around on a tow dolly. Anybody have any experience with this scenario?

The 40 is spring over on 37s.

Tow dolly as in just the front wheels off the ground with no tongue weight? You’ll have no problems with that behind a 100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom