What can the TLCA do for us? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

G

I'd like to see the TLCA obtain the rights from Toyota to distribute the dealer parts catalog on CD - the ones that the dealers actually use.

Mark

Mark,

That really is commercial information, for which Toyota would want to charge you for. Maybe it could be sold via the dealers.
I got lucky, my dealer GAVE me all my parts books for NOTHING, like zippo :) :)
Mind you, I spend quite a few bucks there, every year.

Jack Chomley

Jack,

It's commercial information like the Sears catalog is commercial information. What possible bad stuff could come from Toyota making this info available?

I would EXPECT to pay some fee for the info on CD, just like I paid for the Factory Manuals. It would be worth it. And I KNOW lots of others agree...

They could CERTAINLY offer a version without prices.

mark

That being said, I wouldn't hold my breath. Toyota has been quite disinterested in supporting the TLCA. They really don't have a lot of interest in supporting a bunch of people who would rather fix an old truck than buy a new one. We do buy a lot of parts and many, if not most of us, have newer Toys in the driveway. The 40 is the oldest of 4 in mine.

Dealers should think long term (mine does!) yes, I own a 20 year old truck and I probably not
in the market for a new Land Cruiser....BUT I bought a new car from them in 2000 and looking for another one now. They stuff me about on my truck parts......I COULD change my car brand
choice.....so its in their interest to look after me.
Maybe Toyota U.S./dealers needs th think along the same lines.......but I can't see that happening easily :)

Jack Chomley
Australia

It would be nice to have Toyota distribute cd's. In my expreience though not may everyone want that info. those that do need to get to know the parts people at their dealer. They get new updated cd's very regularly and toss the old ones. All you have to do is ask nice and I bet it would work. Also buy up the microfiche, it is getting more unobtainium. It is cheap and I was getting 1960 versions a couple years ago.

Scott

Scott,
I agree that fiche is a good solution... that's why i went to the trouble and expense to have a bunch scanned and put on CD as Xplat pdf files. FYI the dealer cds are NOT useable at home due to some serious protection included in the process...

mark