What can I do for a little more torque (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.jmpumpshop.com
I have a 91 3.0/5 speed extended cab pickup. I love it to death its an animal in the hills and aside from add a leafs in the rear its bone stock. overall I really have no complaints at all but sometimes when I am out hunting or something I come across a hill thats just too steep. or just a little too much snow. I can always put it in low range and be fine but I was wondering if there are any moderate bolt on mods that are worth it with these trucks to give me a little more umph. i run 31x 10.5's btw

..i run 31x 10.5's btw

Don't happen to know and have verified your gear ratios have ya? 4.56's will give plenty IMHO. Jack up the rear end and jackstand the axle, put it in neutral and count how many times you need to turn the driveshaft to get the tires to spin one full revolution. You may just have 4.1's or 4.3's and just need to step up, erm, down in ratio a little bit.

Do a good tune up, and if that doesn't help, then change out the gears to something lower (numerically higher...) These V6 trucks are geared way too high in stock form, I took a V6 5 speed up to 100 mph (on a closed course) and I was still in 4th gear.... No way you need that much top end...

I will have to look into what that carbon cleaning is.

I also suggest re-gearing,

However if you are going to spend the money to do it you may as well lift it too. Your gears are probably the most expencive part of the lift or close to it, tires probably a close second, (maybe the mose expencive depending on what you buy). You can get 1-3" lifts for cheap (ball joint spacers or body lifts) or and IFS 4-5" lift for around $600. I say if you are going to drop $400-800 for gears you may as well go all out and drop another $1000-$1500 for the whole package.

You could always drop back to a 29" tire. If you don't need or want a lift maybe some good aggressive smaller tires may do.

Get a Scout. That's what I did. It was free of course. If you find some lower geared diffs in Denver I'll pick them up and bring them home this summer and we'll put them in. Powertrax????

ever heard of the isr mod?

There is an easier way to figure out your gear ratio.
There should be an axle code on the door jam vin plate. A quick Internet Search will tell you if you have 4.11's or 4.56's (if its a 91 with V6, SR5 package and 31" tire option I'd bet you its got 4.56's)

Try doing the ISR mod.
Don't bother with the deckplate mod.

If you can take it down for a week or so pull the heads, have a valve job done, port and polish the heads, and replace the head gaskets. I wouldn't bother with going with oversize valves unless you're feeling like really polishing the turd. In that case do the oversized valves, and get an SMT-6 Piggyback computer and a set of hotter cams from Sea2Sky tuning.

But in the end you'd be money ahead just swapping in a 5VZ.

Differential gearing may be the easiest if you are running 4.11s. Check the door plate to see what tires are mentioned on it. If your current tires match size wise to the door plate, then you likely will already have 4.56 gearing. If they are the smaller size (I forget the tire size code) then you likely have 4.11 gearing. Switch to 4.56s and it will have much more pep. You may even get another MPG as your engine/tranny combination will be running closer to its design spec..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom