What broke and what fluid is leaking? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You really should grease the u-joints every oil change and the slip shafts every other. Do you do your own oil changes? I'm not knocking you if you don't, just be aware that you should crawl under it every oil change and do some level of inspection.
A the min you should check your nuts, grease your shaft, lube your balls. (my teen age son gets all red in the face when we go over Cruiser maintenance... LOL.)

It looks like your u joint failed and smacked a gasket mating surface. You will need to get the rig to a mechanic and have them fix the leak, replace the U joints(might as well do all of them) and figure out if anything made the U joint break like a locked up viscous coupler.

Goodluck

I was thinking "the bottom of a Camel's foot, right off the desert". ;)
I got a million of "them". I make up new sayings at work all the time. I think I'm funny as heck... LOL

Thanks for the input and keep it up. I'll try to figure it out for myself if possible. Like I mentioned I have a backup 80.

A good, clear, close up pic of the U joint will tell us immediately. In any case ....you are in for a new yoke, all new Ujoints and hopefully no driveshaft damage. The color of the fluid underneath 'might' give us some idea what it is and where it came from. But a driveshaft thrashing about underneath could have beat up a trans line, brake line, trans pan, etc....
Where do you need a pic? The yoke or what is left of the u joint? Here is a few a took. Drive shaft has a few markings. The yoke doesn't seem to spin very easily by hand. The driveshaft does spin I noticed when being put on the flat bed. All a learning experience for me me.
20210402_225608.jpg
20210402_225557.jpg
20210402_225511.jpg
20210402_225624.jpg
20210402_225621.jpg

That cap (and probably some others) looks to be bone dry and paper thin from wear. It's been that way for awhile to have gotten that bad.

It finally let go.

dry.jpg

Highly likely other than jiffy lube was supposed to have greased them a couple of weeks ago. Last time I greased them was 2 or 3 years ago when I did the axles and all underneath fluid replacement. It probably sees about 10k miles a year and will be less now that I got the spare that needs to be driven also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom