What broke and what fluid is leaking? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Truck was driving rougher than normal but I didn't think too much about until something popped/snapped. I pulled over and the front driveshaft is connected to the front differential but loose from the transfer case. I'm not too savvy on the drive train but I had been reading up on replacing the u-joints. Does a u-joint connect the driveshaft to the transfer case? And what fluid would I be leaking? I've got a tow truck on the way with a little time to kill.

This is a U-joint and what does. Where is the fluid coming from?

I have not figured out the fluid yet. It was primarily on the passenger side of the vehicle. Maybe the lose drive shaft broke a line. Definitely the u-joint though. Would anything else be leaking? What above mentioned part are you referring to?

What could cause the u joint failure and how to diagnose? It looks like the part that.bolts to the transfer case is still bolted there but where the u joint went is a little twisted

So the cross failed, could one side of the transfer case lock up?

Looks like the piece attached to the transfer case did break maybe not the cross failure. Ideas on causes and fixes. I'll dig into the leak later maybe tomorrow

Thanks for the input

The pics maybe too large hard to tell on the phone

20210402_163912.jpg
20210402_150233.jpg

Transmission pan took a hit at the mating surface to the tranny. Probably tranny fluid. I wonder if the VC locked up.

Need better pics. Part of one of the Ujoint caps is still in the Yoke. Hope it isn't as dry as it looks in the pic.

If that snapped due to being dry, there MUST have been some warning sounds?

Same for VC usually. But some folks are unaware of either.

Previous damage is another possibility. IF the vehicle has ever been off road and high centered on rocks, etc...

It was running rougher and louder than normal. Okay so I'm not savvy on the drivetrain or much else for that matter. I did let jiffy lube do an oil change recently and they say they checked the fluid level. Wonder if they didn't get the cap on right.

I replaced all my fluids down below 2 or 3 years ago. Keep the ideas coming.

Luckily I bought a 97 Toyota LC about a year ago as a back up. BTW this is a 97 lx450. Also ran a spare tire that maybe was a mismatch but not a bad mismatch i don't think for about 3 or 4 weeks sparingly and recently got new tires and an alignment. They didn't feel comfortable unbolting the pan hard bolts because they didn't have a replacement on hand if it broke.

I doubt this has ever really been off road. Bought by a doctor in NY originally and I was on my way back from a grocery getting trip to walmart going about 70 or 75 mph when it snapped. The whole trip was rougher than normal. I was beginning to think my u joints needed replacement the last few months with the 25 to 45 mph wobbles.

I doubt this has ever really been off road. Bought by a doctor in NY originally and I was on my way back from a grocery getting trip to walmart going about 70 or 75 mph when it snapped. The whole trip was rougher than normal. I was beginning to think my u joints needed replacement the last few months with the 25 to 45 mph wobbles.

A good, clear, close up pic of the U joint will tell us immediately. In any case ....you are in for a new yoke, all new Ujoints and hopefully no driveshaft damage. The color of the fluid underneath 'might' give us some idea what it is and where it came from. But a driveshaft thrashing about underneath could have beat up a trans line, brake line, trans pan, etc....

I'll get you some better pics later. I had to go do step 6 a few times since the tow driver took my 21 money. Hopefully I can win it back.

The U joint looks drier that last Christmas' turkey. Do you own a grease gun?

Yep, like I mentioned I changed all underside fluids 2 or 3 years ago. Rebuilt front axles also. Not a mechanic but try best I know how or what I can learn here and YouTube. Tried to grease the driveshaft also. Had some luck on 21 but not enough. Step 6 made me feel better about it. Glad I had the backup.

You all have keener and more experienced eyes than myself so any and all comments are welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom