What battery should I choose? (1 Viewer)

What battery should I choose?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

About to replace my battery which is a AAA-branded 27F of unknown vintage. I'm looking to stay with the stock size so I don't have to mess with any special retrofitting (I have enough projects as it is). I've done a fair bit of research, including reading the excellent battery FAQ here on Mud, and have narrowed down my choices to the following.

I'll be running a moderate stereo system, small inverter, and maybe a few other gadgets in the near future. No winch yet but when I do add one (which will be a year or two at the earliest), I'll probably jump to a dual battery system.

Here is my take on the choices listed....

The Bosch - cheapest of the lot and decent specs. Lots of Pep Boys around for warranty work. I believe this battery is made by Exide here in the USA. http://www.pepboys.com/product/deta...ts/batteries_accessories/automotive_batteries

Optima Yellow - decent online pricing but could be an issue if warranty service is needed. Seems like hit or miss quality in recent years due to production being moved from the US to Mexico. Coolest looking battery. :grinpimp: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Optima-8037...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e89945a40&vxp=mtr

Northstar - The specs on this battery are BAD ASS. Almost as capable (and equally heavy) as the much vaunted Diehard Platinum 31M but in a form factor that fits right in with no modifications necessary. Expensive and no local sources available it seems so I'd have to buy it online which could make any potential warranty service a hassle. http://sepbatteries.com/review/product/list/id/7824/#customer-reviews
[Edit] Available locally at batteries plus as a special order item for $305.

Autozone Duralast Gold - Not the best specs or best price but still quite affordable and there are almost as many of these stores around as Starbucks, making warranty work easy. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...N-j9d41Zacy27?itemIdentifier=249479_817435_0_

I'm personally leaning towards the Bosch from PepBoys (due to the price) coupled with the solar panel charging system discussed here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/deploy-solar-panels.808763/

... but I am willing to be talked into one of the more expensive options, because after all, isn't that what we're all here for? ;)

Last edited:
Get an AGM. The 1 Autozone sells is the same battery as O'rielly & Sears Gold AGM. Should be able to get 1 for $145.

Update - the Northstar AGM is available locally, relabeled, for $305. Couldn't find it on the website but the guy at batteries plus says it can be ordered and here in a week.

Last edited:
I have two DHP batteries. My main is a 31M, my backup is a 34M. The 34M fits with no mods needed. The 31M fit with minor trimming and bending up longer just hooks...pretty easy project.

Hum, really starting to lean toward the batteries plus X2 power now that I know it can be sourced locally. Stock size, AGM, dual cycle, 930 CCA and 190 minute reserve capacity...and a 5 year full replacement warranty. Closest match to that for a little less $ seems to be the DHP 31M but the warranty isn't as good. Thoughts?

I'm confused. Can you use a marine (deep cycle) battery for your main starting battery? I understand using one as a secondary makes sense, but I thought deep cycle batteries dont like repeated high amp draws (starting) or rapid charging from an alternator.

This Northstar/X2 power battery is what's known as a "dual cycle" battery. Like the Sears DHP 31M many people are running, it can be used as both starting and deep cycle.

This Northstar/X2 power battery is what's known as a "dual cycle" battery. Like the Sears DHP 31M many people are running, it can be used as both starting and deep cycle.

Oh, ok. Thats why the 31/34M seem to be so popular.

I have run the Odyssey batteries in many cars and currently have 2 of them in the cruiser and have yet to have one ever fail

I have a pair of the blue top batteries plus AGM batts. My guy gave me his employee discount of 25 %but the warranty in my name

A few tidbits:

1. I thought this board is no longer so positive on the Sears DHP, presumably because the charging system in the '80 not matching up well with the requirements of that battery. Never had one myself, so just hearsay..

2. When the Optima Red Top (of unknown vintage, came in the truck when we got the vehicle...) let go (although that death wasn't 100% certified...) in the LX, we installed a Yellow Top 27F.

3. The Optima Red Top (of unknown vintage, came in the truck when we got the vehicle...) in the '80 keeps hanging on, but that truck has yet to see dirt or lonesomeness (i.e. it's always been in cell phone/AAA territory) since in our possession.

4. We've had, in general, good luck with Optimas; in fact, the 34/78 Yellow Top in the K5 Blazer got me home yesterday after the alternator died somewhere out in the desert - not sure exactly when that death occurred, discovered shortly after airing up the 80 and the K5. Drove the truck 45 miles, the last 5 miles with assist from my secondary battery (my old-old Red Top...). Neither battery had enough left to start the truck once I was home.

5. Despite currently owning 3 Red Tops, I will not buy another one of these. I'm not endorsing Optimas, either; it's just that the Yellow Top model has worked well for me.

6. Buying batteries is crap shoot, anyways. Best consideration I've seen is 'Buy specs, or buy warranty'. If you're 'out there', specs are good. If you're in town, warranty may be advantageous.

Buy a Sears platinum (Odyssey) they have tons of power. Ours cranks better in 30 degree (F) weather better than a typical water filled battery in 70 degree weather.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD Forum

I read somewhere on MUD that the DHP 31m needed a little trimming of the side fins in order to fit in the stock 80 battery tray. My local Sears assured me this would void the warranty...so i looked past the 31m and snagged the batteriesplus X2Power group 27 battery. I live near Phoenix AZ, warranties are important here.

battery.png

Super close to pulling the trigger on that exact battery. Can you share how long you've had the battery and your experience with it thus far?

I've had it for a little over two months, not very long. So far its been pretty uneventful...which is a good thing. The pos/negative posts are reversed, but the stock battery cables are long enough, so that didn't worry me. Hardest part (and it wasn't difficult) was finding a new spot for the body ground. Batteriesplus will occasionally have discounts on their merchandise- I was able to double-up a coupon with another discount, and a mail-in rebate which made my wallet (and the wife) happier.

The pos/negative posts are reversed, but the stock battery cables are long enough, so that didn't worry me.

For anyone else reading this... Sounds like you got the 27 and not the 27F which has the posts on the correct side. I couldn't find the latter on their website but emailed the local batteries plus and they can get the 27F as a special order item. The part number is SLI27fAGMDP. Spec sheet the guy emailed me is attached.

Attachments

• SLI27FAGMDP.pdf
    128 KB · Views: 1,808

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom