What are you working on? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Put a top on her for the first time since I’ve owned it, its gonna take some time to get used to.
04BDBBD8-3E77-4084-8B41-EA1D26428FFD.jpeg
E6FD6ACA-C39D-4B9E-B2F9-C81B4707B1E2.jpeg

Checking small things off the list while waiting on the head. Valve cover cam back cleaned today, so another piece is back. One of the things on the list is the rear heater delete. With no carpet in the truck it got hella hot in the cab during summers unless I ran the AC. Got all the factory clips and hoses removed and figured I should go ahead and purge the heater core just in case ... $30 in hoses later and its done.

Sorry for the blur .. have a few beers and it comes right into focus
20190417_154704[1].jpg

Ran the drain hose into a bucket until it was clear, then down the floor drain in the garage. Disappointed that it basically came out as clean coolant. Was hoping to get some muck out?
20190417_155507[1].jpg

Remounted the alternator after getting the steering pump back on and then took some time to clean up the block surface. 90% of the water jackets were clogged off with the Bars stop leak crap from the PO. It's now on my list of things to never do to an engine.

Before:
20190409_135643[1].jpg

After:
20190416_124821[1].jpg

Worst part so far was standing in the engine compartment on the frame and cross-member with a scraper in one hand and shop vac nozzle in the other. A few of the passages were so sealed shut that I had to use a pick to get the bars to release and be picked up by the vac. You can still see the Bars gunk coating everything, but at least all the passages are open for now.

Off to research how to do the Pin-7 Mod and how to drop my interior fan blower so I can clean it out.

Checking small things off the list while waiting on the head. Valve cover cam back cleaned today, so another piece is back. One of the things on the list is the rear heater delete. With no carpet in the truck it got hella hot in the cab during summers unless I ran the AC. Got all the factory clips and hoses removed and figured I should go ahead and purge the heater core just in case ... $30 in hoses later and its done.

Sorry for the blur .. have a few beers and it comes right into focus
View attachment 1955608

Ran the drain hose into a bucket until it was clear, then down the floor drain in the garage. Disappointed that it basically came out as clean coolant. Was hoping to get some muck out?
View attachment 1955611

Remounted the alternator after getting the steering pump back on and then took some time to clean up the block surface. 90% of the water jackets were clogged off with the Bars stop leak crap from the PO. It's now on my list of things to never do to an engine.

Before:
View attachment 1955615

After:
View attachment 1955610

Worst part so far was standing in the engine compartment on the frame and cross-member with a scraper in one hand and shop vac nozzle in the other. A few of the passages were so sealed shut that I had to use a pick to get the bars to release and be picked up by the vac. You can still see the Bars gunk coating everything, but at least all the passages are open for now.

Off to research how to do the Pin-7 Mod and how to drop my interior fan blower so I can clean it out.
Cooling system flush.

Thermocure Coolant System Rust... Amazon product ASIN B00R74I5UY

Haven't been doing much Toyota stuff lately, but have been keeping busy...

Engine rebuilds...
0409191638-00.jpg

Getting things ready for primer:
0403191437-00.jpg
0404191021-00.jpg
0404191233-00.jpg

And getting big cars ready for paint:
0419191256-00.jpg
0419191305-00.jpg
0419191451-00.jpg

I know we can do a 53' trailer. I'd have to measure it to see what the absolute limit would be on what we can fit in. ;)

Pulled the hamster wheel today and cleaned it up as best I could. Spins maybe 2 revolutions if I spin it hard by hand, not sure if that is standard or not. Was hoping it would be more clogged since this truck doesn't push the same volume of air through the vents as the others. Guess I will check the volume once things are back together and possibly try to run some Frigi-Clean through the evaporator as a next step. I stuck my hand inside the housing, but it felt clean enough. Tried to take a pic, but that failed hard.

Today is Pin-7 Mod and possibly wiring up the in-cab winch on/off switch as well.

20190419_195442[1].jpg

Didn't take pictures - but got a free hour this morning so I drained the radiator, and pulled my temp sender (and SAE adapter) out of the head, and a heater hose out of the intake manifold. I've been chasing a couple of phantom coolant leaks that only appear to show up in these two places after the truck has sat for a few days (maybe heat/cold cycling due to weather is the cause?). The temperature sender, in particular, was enough to run coolant down the side of the head, down the side of the block, and leave a little puddle of coolant under the oil pan at the bell housing.

I ran into the same thing inside the truck, at the heater hose connections - but tightening, and re-tightening, and re-tightening the hose clamps finally seems to have stopped it. The leaks in the engine bay seem to be coming from bad NPT thread seals.

I've had really iffy luck with the PTFE Pipe dope (either ARP or Permatex) on NPT threads. I know a lot of people sweat by it, and I use it almost everywhere, but every not and then, I find threads that just will not seal. I hate using teflon tape because I don't want teflon to wind up in my oil system or my thermostat, but I decided to try it this time around to see if it gives me any better luck.

Coolant is back in - just need to burp the system and fire it up to see if I made the problem better or worse.

If this gets corrected, I only have my transfer case freeze plug leak to contend with, but I'll probably save that for after the wheeling trip since I'll need to take half the damn driveline apart to get to it.

Didn't take pictures - but got a free hour this morning so I drained the radiator, and pulled my temp sender (and SAE adapter) out of the head, and a heater hose out of the intake manifold. I've been chasing a couple of phantom coolant leaks that only appear to show up in these two places after the truck has sat for a few days (maybe heat/cold cycling due to weather is the cause?). The temperature sender, in particular, was enough to run coolant down the side of the head, down the side of the block, and leave a little puddle of coolant under the oil pan at the bell housing.

I ran into the same thing inside the truck, at the heater hose connections - but tightening, and re-tightening, and re-tightening the hose clamps finally seems to have stopped it. The leaks in the engine bay seem to be coming from bad NPT thread seals.

I've had really iffy luck with the PTFE Pipe dope (either ARP or Permatex) on NPT threads. I know a lot of people sweat by it, and I use it almost everywhere, but every not and then, I find threads that just will not seal. I hate using teflon tape because I don't want teflon to wind up in my oil system or my thermostat, but I decided to try it this time around to see if it gives me any better luck.

Coolant is back in - just need to burp the system and fire it up to see if I made the problem better or worse.

If this gets corrected, I only have my transfer case freeze plug leak to contend with, but I'll probably save that for after the wheeling trip since I'll need to take half the damn driveline apart to get to it.
If this thing continues to ooze coolant, I would start checking for head gasket leaks. Maybe next time you have it warmed up, squeeze a radiator hose. It should have about 15 lb of pressure, not hard like a basketball.

If this thing continues to ooze coolant, I would start checking for head gasket leaks. Maybe next time you have it warmed up, squeeze a radiator hose. It should have about 15 lb of pressure, not hard like a basketball.

I’m kind of worried about that. Also not convinced it isn’t leaking coolant from the head bolts. If it is a head gasket I’ll be pissed - only about 1400mi on a brand new engine.

That said the coolant was crystal clear - no sign of oil contamination and no sign of coolant in the oil or out of the tailpipe.

I’ll probably fire it up when I get back from Easter stuff and check the coolant hoses for pressure, but I’m really hoping it’s just issues with the sealant - then I can blame myself for not sealing them up right and move on.

I’ve had a ton of issues with seals on this engine - particularly the intake manifold gaskets not sealing and leaking oil.

Last edited:
Spent most of yesterday cleaning up bolt heads and nuts prepping for install later this week hopefully. Really need to get the head back by Weds or Thurs so I have a solid week to put everything back together for the May meet up.

Did the crappy part of the Pin-7 Mod in the kick panel. Things are always more difficult then they seem in the write-ups. Down to just cutting the wire and putting things back where they belong, assuming I can get the ABS ECU back in on the mounting bracket. It's a very tight and awkward angle to work at, so I removed things mainly by feel.

20190420_134311[1].jpg

20190420_135145[1].jpg
20190420_135145[1].jpg

Slee directions say it's the Black wire with the Blue stripe. Not thinking unpinning it is possible, likely just cutting it as I can't see myself undoing this mod ever.
20190420_140342[1].jpg

This is where things went a bit sideways. As I'm isolating the Pin-7 wire to cut, I pulled back the sheath that covers all the wires as a group and the Black wire with the Red stripe right next to the Pin-7 wire is cut about an inch above the connector. Now I'm trying to find out what this wire does and if the PO did something odd here or maybe he tried this mod and missed the wire? I don't see any free connecting wire that the red stripe wire would have connected to, but I will have to try to get a better look today. If anyone has any input on this, please let me know.

This clip for the #6 injector broke while I was trying to remove it. I have the replacement clip on hand, anyone know how to de-pin it?
20190420_131843[1].jpg

Happy Easter everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom