What are we liking for method/location to relocate OEM backup camera after tire carrier add? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got an '06 100 series, and a Wilco Hitchgate Offset. Right now, I'm looking at a backup camera image of my Rotopax water tanks which is not much help in reverse.

I'm thinking I'd like to have the camera up underneath my airfoil/fin thingy, due to less wiring complexity, but open to ideas.

What have you done to relocate your OEM backup camera?

I've got an '06 100 series, and a Wilco Hitchgate Offset. Right now, I'm looking at a backup camera image of my Rotopax water tanks which is not much help in reverse.

I'm thinking I'd like to have the camera up underneath my airfoil/fin thingy, due to less wiring complexity, but open to ideas.

comeon now! i know this is bound to be a popular topic! :)

I've got nothing to add but I'm interested in the responses. I don't have a tire carrier and my camera is above the license plate. I don't like it there, it's not the best angle. I've been thinking about moving it higher up. I carry a mountain bike a lot on a hitch rack. It clutters the view and those are the times I'm most concerned about bumping something behind me.

I was wondering the same thing. Looking at rear bumpers but I like my backup camera. Someone must have a solution.

I've got the "fin", and so my ideal placement would be under that, pointing as would be expected. I'm hoping someone already worked out the details, even better, has a bracket and pre-wired after-market harness!
Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 2.28.40 PM.png

Agreed... maybe a tastefully styled mini pod above the rear glass... to fit an aftermarket cam.
I need to get my 3D printer already~

Thanks Bama! great thread! 🤙
... funny how these didn’t show up in my searches.

I don't think Slee sells the mount anymore. Too bad as I would buy one.

Last edited:
the Slee bracket is a good idea, but thinking pragmatically, if you have a bad tire, then not only do you have to change a tire, before you do that, you have to disconnect and move a backup camera, and then put it all back together after you put the bad tire back on the carrier.

the better solution is to mount under the fin, IMO. given there is no existing kit, it's going to be a custom mount.

Slee mount works great, no need to disconnect or move to remove/replace spare.

Found a good spot to be inside the cabin at the rear, top of the window. There's a trim piece that works great for downward facing camera and keeps it out of the elements [snow, grime and mud], keeping it clean and usable. Drilled a hole dead center and ran cables from there. Putting it inside removed the need to clean it every five minutes during winter with all the crap kicked up from the road.

Here's a post with picture of visual reference:

Last edited:
Found a good spot to be inside the cabin at the rear, top of the window. There's a trim piece that works great for downward facing camera and keeps it out of the elements [snow, grime and mud], keeping it clean and usable. Drilled a hole dead center and ran cables from there. Putting it inside removed the need to clean it every five minutes during winter with all the crap kicked up from the road.

Here's a post with picture of visual reference:
never thought of that. Got a pic of it in action?

never thought of that. Got a pic of it in action?

I was on the fence about the guidelines, but will get back there and click the wire that keeps them on. I measured distance of the Green line using stationary object and now know by feel how far away from bumpers and objects I am.

IMG_3187.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom