What are these parts worth?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys...

I'm considering parting out my rolled HDJ81, and I have a guy wanting the motor and tranny (1HD-T and a 5 speed standard).
Yes you saw right a 5 speed standard.... I just got the phone call yesterday, and haven't had a chance to research what this stuff is worth.

Any Help??

Thanks
James

There is someone selling the same thing here in the classifieds for $10,500 with other misc parts needed to swap for a gas (I think that is high). There was a 1HD-T on ebay (can't remember if it had the trans or not) for $8,000 but it didn't sell after running through twice. I tried to find one about 6 months ago for my conversion (ended up going GM 6.2) and the prices were about the same $8,000 - 10,000 but I couldn't find one at the time. As much as I would like to have that engine I couldn't pay that much for one when I could get the 6.2 for under $1,000. Now that I have finished my conversion I don't think I saved a whole lot though. There seem to be a few more coming on the market now so that may affect the price but I would say $6,000 - $8,000 might be a fair price depending on condition.
Let me know if your deal falls through, I have a 97 in my workshop asking for a conversion (if my wife will let me)
Rusty

James, that combo in a known quantity is worth $10,500.00 any day of the week. The 5spd is rare, and takes away any wiring interface issues.

If all the bits and pieces that make a conversion look and feel stock are included...it's a really good deal imo. Perhaps even over the top: Think clutch stuff, pedal assemblies, over and above the stuff in the engine bay.

If its not an unknown, if it has not piled into a containor with other items (risk of damage to external bits which can be expensive to replace), and is out of a known runner that you have your history on...all add value. Get the compression numbers and oil pressure numbers. List service history (injectors, turbo, maintenance, mpg, etc).

I have not been on here much to catch any posts which explain your service history, how long you have had it, if it was running while on it's lid, did oil get in the combustion chambers, etc. Answers to all those questions will set the datum for a price point.

But, for a known motor with 5spd, with no issues needing attention, and numbers known...including all bits for the conversion...$10,500.00 is a great price imo. Key point in the above post is the comment "I don't think I saved much". When things are not bolt in costs/time can climb quite quickly.

hth's

gb

Last edited:
Thanks Guys...Thats about what I figured... The thing is running now, I got it going again after the roll, it did have oil in the cylinders, but i removed the glow plugs befor starting and pumped the oil out. Runs like a dream now. I really hate to sell the thing as the 5 speed is so rare, but it has been listed "un reparable" by the insurance company, so if I fix it, I would have to trailer it on road and only use it as an off road unit. This really sucks because the thing was just droped on its side..... all it needs to make it 100% again is a left side door, fender, windshield and some body work on the back half. It still runs and drives like a dream... F-in insurance company wont change the listing, and the government can't help, no matter how many inspections I get done on it.....James

Thanks Guys...Thats about what I figured... The thing is running now, I got it going again after the roll, it did have oil in the cylinders, but i removed the glow plugs befor starting and pumped the oil out. Runs like a dream now. I really hate to sell the thing as the 5 speed is so rare, but it has been listed "un reparable" by the insurance company, so if I fix it, I would have to trailer it on road and only use it as an off road unit. This really sucks because the thing was just droped on its side..... all it needs to make it 100% again is a left side door, fender, windshield and some body work on the back half. It still runs and drives like a dream... F-in insurance company wont change the listing, and the government can't help, no matter how many inspections I get done on it.....James

Like I said...you include everything that is needed for a swap into an 80 and make a manual 1HD-T factory conversion, and list maintenance you have done, compression/oil pressure numbers, and know there are no issues from the accident...and no other issues, the comparison price mentioned is probably too low.

gb

Last edited:
Granted if you make it a half-cut $10,500 is probably a fair price. Knowing everything you are going to need for a conversion is impossible to figure out unless you have done one before, it is worth the extra money to have all the brackets etc. Are the brakes hydroboost? If so they would be needed as well and would be on it if sold as a half-cut. I am sure it will sell, diesel conversions are pretty popular now and some people are willing and able to pay the extra to keep it all Toyota. I can't say I blame them but I don't have much more than $10,500 in my conversion including the 94 FZj80.
Rusty

Knowing everything you are going to need for a conversion is impossible to figure out unless you have done one before, it is worth the extra money to have all the brackets etc. Are the brakes hydroboost? If so they would be needed as well and would be on it if sold as a half-cut. I am sure it will sell, diesel conversions are pretty popular now and some people are willing and able to pay the extra to keep it all Toyota. I can't say I blame them but I don't have much more than $10,500 in my conversion including the 94 FZj80.
Rusty

I guess I can say that I have done the impossible then.
HydroBoost? Is that a GM thing? Converting a US FJ or FZJ80 to factory diesel power plant has nothing to do with the brakes aside from the source of the vacuum for the booster coming from a vacuum pump where it used to come from intake manifold.
If you are doing a FJ 80 to 1HD-T then it is nice to swap the long brake line set that runs down the left frame rail of the HDJ80 so that you don't have to bend the FJ80 lines out of the way where the 1H# Motor mount gets welded on. If you are doing an FZJ80 there is no issue since you don't have to change the frame mounts.

Last edited:
IMO $10,500 is a very fair price given that you get ALL the parts that you need for the conversion and you get to pull em from a complete running HDJ81. You get all the pieces that get lost or hacked and water damaged in Japan when they cut these things up. Ordering up the missing and damaged stuff from Japan is a huge PITA and adds up really fast.
The other thing that you have to consider with the HDJ81s is that the engine/tranny etc have to pay the freight so to speak since you really can't count on getting a dime out of the body tub and frame, misc like you do on JDM HJ61s etc.

Just my 2 cents.

You've got a PM James.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom