What are these and can i ditch them? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all

Can anyone tell me just what in the hell these 2 massive chambers on the intake are meant to do?

I can see that it's emissions garbage but does it serve any useful funtion and can I get rid of it?

Thanks

20221218_085350.jpg

When in doubt, consider the goal of the engineering team - reduce costs without sacrificing performance... much. If that pile of plastic added manufacturing and assembly cost AND detracts from performance... I'm guessing it would've been engineered out.

In addition to how the air flows into the intake, I suspect it knocks down a lot of noise. Now, if you're going for that '70s era "flipped lid" four barrel sound (sorry guys under 45), maybe remove it and see how you like the sound.

When in doubt, consider the goal of the engineering team - reduce costs without sacrificing performance... much. If that pile of plastic added manufacturing and assembly cost AND detracts from performance... I'm guessing it would've been engineered out.

In addition to how the air flows into the intake, I suspect it knocks down a lot of noise. Now, if you're going for that '70s era "flipped lid" four barrel sound (sorry guys under 45), maybe remove it and see how you like the sound.
I have no idea where I read it, but recently I saw something where an aftermarket company was making an intake and found that tuning those stupid looking chambers added a not insignificant amount of power. I'll see if I can find the article, but it made me think that I shouldn't ditch it on my rig.

@Eyedaho that would not surprise me one bit. If this were a Jeep forum and we were discussing Jeep's engineers, my gut would tell me to do the opposite - hurry up and rip it out before it fails and takes five other parts with it.

It's not emissions garbage. It's resonance chambers to improve airflow into the throttle body, if I'm not mistaken.
“Resonance chambers” -. . . mitigate resonance. Less about airflow and more about quieting the intake noise.

If you like a quiet “vroom” when you accelerate - leave it intact. There is no performance advantage to removing it or modifying it.

“Resonance chambers” -. . . mitigate resonance. Less about airflow and more about quieting the intake noise.

If you like a quiet “vroom” when you accelerate - leave it intact. There is no performance advantage to removing it or modifying it.
Eh. I think it's designed to decrease noise but also increase efficiency, but neither of us have dyno numbers with/without it to support our opinions.

That makes sense. I would really love some more intake growl from it. In terms of intake upgrades its pretty much limited to a snorkel right?

Here we go. Got a spare grand lying around?

Or this

You're unlikely to find any performance gains from one of those, but if you do then I'll be happy and will do the same.

You can replace it with a much less bulky 4.7 Tundra/Sequoia intake tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom