What are the while I'm in here items during timing belt replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jestlurnin

SILVER Star
Threads
Full disclosure.... I'm taking my 07'LX to a trusted independent shop to do the timing belt. The owner of the shop was a Lexus dealer shop lead and is as honest as they come. I actually would like to try doing this myself at some point but after reading most if not all of the T-belt replacement threads I know this would take me a week and I just don't have that kind of time right now.

If I am having a shop do the T-belt what can/should be done during this job? Also! Full disclosure, my knowledge of the anatomy of my rig is very very limited. Basically all I've done on this bad boy is change the oil and lights that have gone out so if I say something stupid go easy on me. I reserve my wrenching for 87' and older cruisers. I trust the shop to give me an honest what's what but they are so honest they will skip over items that don't NEED to be replaced but CAN be replaced while they are in there. I've always been of the mind on my cruisers that if I'm doing something and won't be able to get back at something till I do the job over, and.... I don't know how old those hard to reach parts are than I might as well just replace while I'm in there. This philosophy has worked well for me.

So back to the question in the title. What should I have them replace while they are in there? I've started a list and I'm looking for a couple things. 1. Can't be replaced without doing the T-belt again. 2. Easier to replace while doing the T-belt and should be done 3. This absolutely does not need to be done while doing the T-belt.

Timing belt tensioner (I don't know if there are multiple)
Timing belt idler pulleys (I don't know if there are multiple)
Fan pulley
AC pulley
Idler pulley or pulleys (not sure if there are more than one)
Fan bracket
Fan clutch assembly
Water pump
Crankshaft seals (I read one thread that basically said leave well enough alone if not leaking)
Heater T's
Clean/Replace MAF sensor
Throttle body clean out
Cracked/sketchy looking coolant hoses

Looking forward to your guys responses!

Nice collection of cars you have there!

When I had my timing belt done I searched mud and combined a few lists I found. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. Some here buy a timing belt kit and heater t's and call it good. Some here change as much as they could, which is what I tried to do.

All the main/small coolant hoses start adding up. I would pass on the camshaft seals since you have VVTI, since the camshafts have to come out for those motors. If you trust your mechanic, I would change the crank seal (some say if you know the oil has been religiously changed throughout it's life on time, you can skip it). You can also add spark plugs, serpentine belt, thermostat, PCV valve, fuel filter, gaskets as needed, new clamps for everything if you want. There are even 4 more coolant hoses under the car if you want to do those.

You can also flush the AHC fluid but there's a recall on the fluid right now. If you want to proceed with the AHC flush you need to inspect the fluid to make sure there is nothing floating in it, it should be perfectly see through.

There are slight differences between years (98-02, 03-05, 06-07) so double and triple check part numbers you find here on mud to be sure it's the correct part for your MY.

I had mine done recently by a home mechanic friend, and I was searching for the exact same thing as you WITH part numbers. This is the list that I landed on with part numbers for an 07 LX470 with 146k miles. This is probably overkill, but at his $50/hour rate I went for it. None of these had been replaced before. I'm sure others will say some of these parts are unnecessary, but others will say the same parts should be "while you're in there." This is also my daily driver, so I couldn't afford for the engine to be in pieces and realize I needed one of these parts and didn't have it. The original water pump was leaking. When the radiator hoses were replaced, we also realized that it was barely cracking at both the upper and lower hose connection. I just got a Mishimoto radiator that will be going in this weekend. All the other hoses appeared to be in good shape, so we didn't replace any of those. If we hadn't change out the radiator hoses though, we wouldn't have noticed the cracks, so it's worth at least looking there. I spent much more on parts and labor than I was anticipating, but I went with all OEM/Aisin and hope to be set for another 100k miles.

Cruiserteq Timing Belt Kit
Camshaft Seals (Didn't replace these)
Crank Seal
Timing Belt 1356859095
Timing Belt Tensioner Assembly 1354050030
Timing Belt Idler Sub Assembly #1 135050F010
Timing Belt Idler Sub Assembly #2 135030F010
Timing Belt Cover Gasket Insert
Water Bypass Pipe O-ring
Water Inlet Housing O-ring
Water Pump 1610059275
Water Pump Gasket 1627150010

Toyota Dealership
Accessory Drive Belt Idler Pulley 166040F010
Tensioner Assembly 166200W101
Fan Pulley 163710F010 (This is just a big metal bracket. There are no bearings, so not sure if it really needed replacing.)
Serpentine Belt 9091602585
Thermostat 9091603138
Thermostat Gasket 1634650010
Seal Packing 882600100
Heater Tees 8724860460
Cylinder Head Cover Gasket 1121350031
Cylinder Head Cover Gasket 1121450011
Fuel Filter 2330050090
Radiator Hose 1657250150
Radiator Hose 1657150150

RockAuto
Aisin Radiator Fan Clutch 1621050102
Aisin Radiator Fan Clutch Bracket 163070F010
Aisin 50/50 Pink Coolant 00272SLLC2 (4 gallons)
NGK Iridium spark plugs NGK 4589

I'm currently working on my AHC system because it had also never been touched before. I learned some lessons the hard way on my initial fluid flush and globe replacement, so it's still a work in progress.

Thanks @J Jamm ! That list is incredible! You actually have me thinking that if I brought the parts in they might give me a better discount. Not sure if that’s something they’ll go for but it’s worth a try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom