What are the solutions for carrying extra fuel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wouldn't consider an overland route/fire roads/jeep two-track as low-range territory. Sure, there may be obstacles or short sections that require it but there's no reason to be in low-range full-time for such a track. I have been over loaded in both the GX and the 200 in Big Bend through very sandy and rocky sections for more than 100 miles and I never saw worse than 12mpg, YMMV. The GX did see 9mpg once but that was with three grown men, their gear, all while towing 3500lbs at highway speeds through mountainous terrain. I am fully aware of how range works and what should be considered and it's obviously relative to your particular vehicle, load, and where and how you're traveling. The example I was referring to was in regards to a 150 mile track that has fuel stops at both ends, this should be doable by any modern vehicle on it's factory tank and range with ease.
yeah I should have put a / in there ---- "Off-Road or Lo-Range"...

Anyway... just did 400+ miles on dirt roads in GA/NC/SC and 600 miles on Pavement - fuel economy was nothing close to what it is a daily driver..
Like I said its totally condition variant. So you need to plan for that. you also need to understand your trucks loaded fuel usage, then make a decision about what you need to do or not do in any case.

That's fair depending on personal expectations.

For me, it's absolutely game changing. 60% on most things are: 60% more power, or 60% more income. Another perspective is would something be game changing with 60% less?

Less thought experiment and more reality, for me at least:

- This was one of my earlier mods, because my frequent off-roading travel and towing, sometimes in the same trip, put me in a bind several times. I do both and stock range was not cutting it. I was a slave on a short tether to gas stations, having to plan trips and stops around fills. Using a Jerry or Rotopax gets old. I knew I was going to bigger tires which would only cause MPG to get worse.

- I just weighed my rig with trailer on a long 10 day trip with 6 people - 15,620lbs. That's 10k over a box stock LC200. 12.5 gallons give me back stock-ish 300mile range when towing which is comfortable. The reality of a larger aux tank, relocated spare, and rear swing out is a non-starter for what I tow as that would compromise stability, and put the rear axle over 6k lbs (rated 4300 GAWR)

- For me, it's not about never getting gas. There's so many gas stations. It's about getting gas on my terms. While balancing setup and weight for other concerns. The LRA 12.5 does that and then some, as I can plan for lunch at interesting destinations, instead of another gas station.

The criticisms of the LRA and evap is common across the range. I was an early adopter and first to install it to a USDM LX570. I'm in the silt laden west where I'm out playing almost every other month. So take my issues as growing pains for development of the LRA for the US. For those newly installing it, fixes are identified and known. Given that, it's still the best mod I've done. I would choose the same tank size today.

I do still carry a Rotopax depending on trip. Not for myself, but usually for others that I caravan with. I have a buddy with a built Titan that went down the traditional build route with swingouts and everything. Titans dont' have aftermarket tank option. He's usually the recipient of the Roto, as he can barely do 180miles most days
100% agree!!!! Since having the additional 12.5gal, our family road trips are never worrying about having to find the next gas station when I’m down to. 1/4 tank. Just push a button and keep on going. On the highway at 75mph, I can travel between 425-475mi. depending on how many hill climbs are on the If I were running highway tires, I could probably do 500mi. Another bonus, no potential gas spilling using external gas cans and t having to fill them up at the pump.

I have a 40 gallon LRA tank. The best upgrade. A rear bumper tire carrier does not cost 5K . You can always get a hitch mounted tire carrier and carry a couple of cans on that.

I have used the Giant Loop 1 gallon bladders on my motorcycles for years without issue, top notch stuff.

The longest overland route in North America is ~150 miles, el Camino del diablo, according to Scott Brady’s Instagram account. Could a stock LC go out and back on it?
I’m planning to visit Alaska and drive the Dalton highway all the way to Deadhorse. I just wanted to have the extra fuel capacity and the peace of mind.

I’m planning to visit Alaska and drive the Dalton highway all the way to Deadhorse. I just wanted to have the extra fuel capacity and the peace of mind.
I go up there every August. You will not make it from Fox (last gas station outside Fairbanks to Dead horse even with an Extra tank. It is a 12-14 hour drive and almost 500 miles one way. Depending on the conditions at the time and when they last went through with graders it is 20 mph to 50mph max. You will have to stop in Coldfoot which is ~half way. And Yukon station is about half way between Fairbanks and Coldfoot. More important than a LRA tank is 2 spare tires and a can of fix a flat, also plan on high likely hood of a windshield replacement after the trip.

This year and last the road was garbage, so much mud…. Took me 7-8 hours to get to Coldfoot.

Also going all the way to deadhorse is very anticlimactic, I always recommend people go to the north side of the Brooks range at most to Galbraith lake camp ground vs the extra 6-8 hours from there to Deadhorse and back to Galbraith.

PM me if you have questions planning your trip.

Last edited:
If you follow their social media you get a good understanding of their testing and why they have to put that on their site. They are not approved in the U.S. but I would certainly trust them as much as many other hard plastic solutions. However, I wouldn’t likely keep fuel in them beyond just the long trip I used them for.

I have a couple of those Trail’d tanks now too that I’m planning on using for water so we’ll see how I can design the rear bumper to accommodate all of them.

These have been my choices based on my budget and preferences for trying to keep weight down (also down low for better COG) and not having a lot of items bolted on the outside of my rig.

Yeah I was thinking along the same lines of that, I was thinking that's why they put it on their site. I wonder how it would fair if left on top of the roof rack for 6 months or how ever long you should need to rotate out gas. I like the idea of the bags because they are more portable, and a good price. Also keep in mind if you are into the application use of it, then you could pull it off your rig if you were ever in a bad situation and carry it more easily like a back back or something to either another rig that needs fuel or for your self. I like the idea of creating something to hold a few or so where the spare tire is factory, and maybe a quick drop down or something for easy access if you plan to use them on long road trips. I don't know, I am still thinking on many things. I like the LRA but I was wanting to to not install even more weight on the rig, and have the ability to have versatility like cans/ bags and such.

I go up there every August. You will not make it from Fox (last gas station outside Fairbanks to Dead horse even with an Extra tank. It is a 12-14 hour drive and almost 500 miles one way. Depending on the conditions at the time and when they last went through with graders it is 20 mph to 50mph max. You will have to stop in Coldfoot which is ~half way. And Yukon station is about half way between Fairbanks and Coldfoot. More important than a LRA tank is 2 spare tires and a can of fix a flat, also plan on high likely hood of a windshield replacement after the trip.

This year and last the road was garbage, so much mud…. Took me 7-8 hours to get to Coldfoot.

Also going all the way to deadhorse is very anticlimactic, I always recommend people go to the north side of the Brooks range at most to Galbraith lake camp ground vs the extra 6-8 hours from there to Deadhorse and back to Galbraith.

PM me if you have questions planning your trip.
Thanks a lot for the tips!

Thanks a lot for the tips!
ColeAk,

You should write a book. “Overlanding tips for poor saps who don’t get to live in Alaska.”

I know I would buy it.

Here are some pictures from the last few years. I've been up that way on the Dalton at least 20 times

The drive is sort of rolling hills and not much scenery until you get above Coldfoot.

Crossing the Yukon River bridge it's pretty flat

DSC00179sm.jpeg

Coldfoot, this is about it, a truck stop/restaurant/lodging, the only other thing there is the Gats of the Arctic park headquarters which is across the street. No kidding, population is ~10

IMG_2887.jpg

The first view of the Brooks Range (Mt. Sukakpuk), this stretch is paved between Coldfoot and Weisman (pop <20) the paved stretches are much worse than dirt and where most blown tires occur. it can go from nice and smooth asphalt to massive deep potholes where you have to slow down to ~10mph

DSC00191sm.jpeg

The NPS rangers drive Prius and commute from Fairbanks for their stretches of 4 days on. It has AT tires and 2 spares in the back, I've talked to them a few times, it is ~12 years old and mostly has only driven the Dalton between Fairbanks and Coldfoot, year-round, twice a week for its lifetime. Also, they know the road and conditions very well, just let them pass as they will likely be going way faster than you should. Passing me in 2021 doing at least 70. Same for the trucks, if you slow down and let them pass, they will slow down to, if you don't, they will cover you in gravel...
IMG_2930.jpg

Summer of 2021 they did a ton of work on the N side of the Brooks, Pump station 3 now has full 5g cell service, which is the only ~5 mile strech of the road that has cell service. We have three Garmin InReaches for my family of four. I highly recommend having one (or something similar) if you make this trip

DSC00369sm.jpeg

Last edited:
Some great things to do.

Berry picking, the Brooks are covered in blueberries, cranberries, crowberries, bunchberries,...

DSC00229sm.jpeg

The dog always knows where the best berry spots are

IMG_6572.jpg

We took mtn bikes a few years ago and Camped at Galbrath, we bike a ton all summer (both teens race enduro) did a few rides but not sure it was worth the effort as we couldn't cover much more ground then hiking.

IMG_2994.jpg

This was off the Denali. My 14 year old (in AK can get learners permit at 14) daughter driving for a while.

DSC01603.JPG

There was this massive fire last summer in Chena, unfortunate at the time but made the hiking amazing, fireweed is the first thing to come back after a big burn

IMG_6650.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom