What are the big square cargo carriers you see on top of SUVs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Often they look like they're covered in fabric. Im looking for overland cargo carriers and i'm wonder if this is what im looking for.

Tent is the only thing i can think of. There are some rooftop strap on cargo carriers, like a big duffle bag. Wouldn't classify them as square cargo carriers covered in cloth.

Does anybody made a square or rectangular hard cargo boxes? The stuff pelican makes is too small for my needs.

Does anybody made a square or rectangular hard cargo boxes? The stuff pelican makes is too small for my needs.
I use a Sears X-Cargo sport 20 roof top carrier. 20 cubic feet. We've packed a table, 4 chairs, a 6-person tent, sleep bags, buddy heater, propane tank, hammocks, and tarps in it. We bought it on sale from Sears for $160.

1610078375255.png

1610078377362.png

No offense intended if I'm wrong here, but it sounds like what you're envisioning is a roof top tent.

For a cargo box, I would get a rocket box or whatever they're called these days, like @lumbee1 posted. They're available in a lot of sizes and a little more aerodynamic than a RTT or square boxes, so presumably a little better on the MPG's.

There are some that are more like weather resistant bags that go on the roof and just get strapped down. My brother has one for his Mazda5 and my dad used something similar made out of tarps back when we were kids. Here's an example: Rooftop Cargo Storage Bag - 600L - https://ironman4x4america.com/rooftop-cargo-storage-bag-600l/?gclid=CjwKCAiAouD_BRBIEiwALhJH6NkVCv2XE-NPaFFLGr0B7SrPWMuY6LlrWvC93LQVdJ0jrM1GdSjAChoCG9wQAvD_BwE

There are fabric rooftop carriers. I think that’s what he’s referring to. I would look for a cheap used hard shell, but I suppose a fabric one is easier to store inside when not in use.

I have two cargo carriers, well one is more of a ski box, but both were found for under $25 on the local buy and sell

He could also be thinking about the Rubbermaid action packers, swag off road makes a cool piece of kit for bolting those down, a little pricey but solid and modular

Otherwise a metal storage trunk box would work.

Last edited:
No offense intended if I'm wrong here, but it sounds like what you're envisioning is a roof top tent.

For a cargo box, I would get a rocket box or whatever they're called these days, like @lumbee1 posted. They're available in a lot of sizes and a little more aerodynamic than a RTT or square boxes, so presumably a little better on the MPG's.
My rooftop carrier does not affect my fuel economy at all which surprised me. I leave it on there all the time because I am too lazy to take it down.

Maybe already having the awning and rack, the air just give up and said "it's a brick, whatever." :hillbilly:

Leitner Gear Pod and Roam Adventure Gear products are becoming very popular for dry storage mounted to canopies. Personally the Leitner Gear Pod XLs are to tall one mounted on the roof canopy. The Adventure Gear 95L boxes are much lower and can be lifted off once at a destination or for DD.

1610164478074.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom