1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are tell tale signs that your clutch is going out?

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Jgraphix, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Jgraphix

Jgraphix

I was driving home from work today and noticed how 'soft' my clutch was when pressing down. Earlier in the day, there was some pressure when I pressed down but on the way home, it seemed much softer. When I parked, I threw it in reverse and while pressing my clutch all the way down (which I never had to do before), it was grinding. :frown: is this something that can be adjusted or do I need a new clutch?

I'm looking for other opinions before I send her to surgery.
    Thanks a bunch mudders!

2. Pathfinder

Pathfinder I am the STIG

I knew mine was shot when I was driving on interstate and would be running along. When I gave it more gas to pass a car or go up a hill the engine would rev and the vehicle would stay the same speed.

As for the feel of the clutch it feels the same before as it did after. I put in a new master and slave cylinder and replaced the throuout bearing and pressure plate.

Here is a post of my clutch job. https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=133804

my .02 You need to do it yourself. You will save yourself some series $$$$$.

3. mtb_rider

mtb_rider

Pathfinder is right on the clutch slipping problem. That is probably the most common failure. Otherwise, difficulty shifting in and out of gear, and/or grinding. Also, it isn't good to not depress your clutch all the way, even when it is good. You can cause your clutch to slip some by not doing this and burn, causing it to wear out prematurely. The clutch is hydraulic yes? If it were a manual cable clutch and not slipping, sometimes you can adjust it and that is all that is needed, but hydraulic clutches don't generally<-- need adjustment.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  4. augirthedude

augirthedude

the fact that you depressed the clutch all the way down and experienced grinding is indicative of the clutch NOT releasing, check your hydralic system first. more than not the first sign of a clutch (pressure plate and clutch disc) going bad is slipping under heavy load. good luck .

5. 83bj60

83bj60

The hydraulic slave or the hose/fluid line is probably gone. The good news is it's an inexpensive fix... Check the fluid level in the master and top it up before you get an air pocket in there.

HTH...

6. John McVicker

John McVicker SILVER Star

My guess is your slave is going & going fast. It is best to replace slave & master cly as a unit. I agree with Pathfinder, do it yourself. Reletatively easy job & you will save a bunch of $$.

good luck, John

7. Jgraphix

Jgraphix

Thanks mudders. I just checked the reservoir and it looks fine. I'm going to check the slave as what J McVicker suggested and go from there.
    I'm hoping it's not the clutch itself, since I'm no mechanic and would probably screw her up more if I tried replacing the clutch.

Thanks everyone for the helpful and useful suggestions.

8. CardinalFJ60

CardinalFJ60

fluid level

I just swapped the master and slave on my 40...easy. Even I could do it!!

any-hoo...sometimes the seals within the master fail and will start to leak internally, causing lack of pressure in the system. So...even if the fluid level looks good, there could be some leakage inside. I'd replace them and check it out after that.

HTH

9. augirthedude

augirthedude

Check for leaks on the inside of the firewall, where the clutch master clyinder rod goes through the firewall. Check under the front floor mat just under the where the clutch master is located. If it is leaking this is where the fluid goes.