What are my steering rack options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It appears as if the seals on both sides of my inner tie rods are shot on my newly acquired 2005 TLC. I don't have any puddles beneath the rig and the power steering fluid level is fine. Also, no crazy weird noises when making turns, but as you can see from the pictures, there's obviously an issue. I only know this because the boots are either torn or rotted to shreds.

So my question is, what are my options or what's the best way forward? Is it possible to just replace the tie rods? Or is this a total steering rack replacement?

Also, what kind of parts & labor estimate would you guess?

Thanks,
Will

tempImagewLgivM.png

tempImageki3vD4.jpg

If you’re not leaving puddles on the floor and the reservoir doesn’t empty every couple days, you can try to get by using some AT205 seal freshener. Sometimes racks get like that and it stays like that for a year, rack jobs are expensive

Flush the system completely and put in new ATF along with AT-205 seal conditioner. The boots can be replaced, but depending on how long they’ve been torn, there’s probably dirt, rocks, etc in your inner TREs, so they probably should be replaced, too.

If you’re not leaving puddles on the floor and the reservoir doesn’t empty every couple days, you can try to get by using some AT205 seal freshener. Sometimes racks get like that and it stays like that for a year, rack jobs are expensive
Like how expensive?

So I had this issue recently. My boots aren’t torn nor that wet by any means but I did a flush and added 205, I can say it helped somewhat. The steering feels better when it’s cold I will say, the hot weather made more play in the wheel. There’s still play but it seems like the colder weather has helped a little bit too. The steering has some play and then it feels like the rack pressure builds and the play goes away if that makes any sense. Do you have sloppy steering? Like an inch of play before the wheels turn?
I can vouch for expensive on price, I’ve called many dealers local (CT) and they have priced racks at $1300+ just rack, one dealer was $2800 installed. Yes you can do tie rod ends inner and outer but with that amount of moisture those seals seem toast. I think we should gather all the 100 series owners who need a rack and do a big meet up and fix everyone’s rig one weekend. Bet we can bang these out quick once we figure out all the tricks!!!

@LC CT it is worth the drive to CT to do that- I have family I can stay with outside of New Haven. The rack job is one that I really need to get done but am intimidated to do myself but can't bring myself to paying a shop...

@LC CT it is worth the drive to CT to do that- I have family I can stay with outside of New Haven. The rack job is one that I really need to get done but am intimidated to do myself but can't bring myself to paying a shop...
Alright! We have a party of 2 started! Mine is the 04, it’s very easy to unbolt. Unbolted to do the bushings but need a full rack after the fact. I can’t say the 4 bolt racks (pre 03?) is easy at all by people’s tutorials. I can’t see it being too difficult of a job if it’s the 2 bolt rack with a couple sets of hands. Engine Mount needs to be undone and lifted a few inches to slide the rack out. Also I was thinking why not unbolt the inner tie rods off the rack that’s being removed to give some more space to slide it out. Can’t hurt but I never see people doing this in their threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom