What are my options for doubling down? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Most of my searching has come up with Marlin's Toybox & some other maybe options that never have received anymore thread updates.

Are there any other options for adding a 2nd tcase to a 60 besides these 3?

Toybox = $2000
Regear stock tcase = $1800
Adapter & Orion case = $??

This would be for a 83 60 stock 4sp tranny & tcase.

Sm420 and Sm465 will do it for less ... Also a 465 with a 203 between em

I love my 420 1st in single low is better the 2 nd in double low and that's what's stock tranny in first with a marlin would be anyway

I plan on a 465/20/split case set up on my junk. maybe a 420 instead of the 465 depending on parts availability.

but thats a good bit cheaper then the other options you have listed.

You could install an H41 tranny, 1st gear is 4.9, versus the 3.4 in the H42 you have. It's a straight bolt-in on your truck. SOR has them, and Cruiserparts.net also has them.

Thanks, I will do some thread searchs for these you guys list.

203 doubler would fit in your drivetrain as well.

for serious reduction .. ToyBox .. I re gear my BF1A and I'm 226% happy with it .. it's pretty nice to drive to the trail and back and allow me do decent offroad ..

Subscribing to the brother in laws thread

What are the first gear ratios for the 420 and 465?

Are you talking about using the 203 case with the stock case or just the 203?

Ratio of the 203?

What about a 420 or 465 with a 203/205 doubler?

Costs of what all these trans./tcase options are would be good if you have them handy.

The BIL needs to Crawl!:steer:

I've had a 420/toy case behind a 2F on the '79 40.. great on trails, crap on highways (gears are far apart).

I've had a 465/205 in the 45 behind the 454.. ok all around I guess, though the engine made up for any lack of gearing. The 465 has synchros and shifts a million times better than the 420 but has a higher 1st.

My favorite to wheel with has been the A440 auto. Best control of the bunch... but that isn't an option. Could go a lot of places in 2wd with that thing over the manuals.

I am currently doing an H42/toybox/split case in the '79 40. The H42 has closer ratios than the H41 for highways and the 4.7 toybox will be fine for lack of a low 1st on trails.

The 45 has a 700r4/cruiser case sitting on a shelf, but has no designs to be very wheeled anymore.

The BJ42s did very well with the 3B/H42/split case stock. The motor's low torque was like having more gearing.

The 62 now has an HZ/H55/split case and works really well so far on steep stuff (nothing hard core for it). Part of that is the diesel engine grunt.

I wouldn't do tcase gear swaps unless you want that extra high range overdrive. Not enough win and they can be noisy.

does the sm420/465 bolt up to the 2f or does it require a adapter?

I'm running an H41 and a 4.0:1 Orion in my 40, and in combination with the stock 3.73 diffs and 33" tires it is the PERFECT gears for me and the kind of wheeling I like (Moab). I can drive there at 65 mph all day long, and have a 75:1 crawl ratio when I hit the trail. Can't say enough good about this combo. And it would be a straight bolt-up on your 60.

I'm running an H41 and a 4.0:1 Orion in my 40, and in combination with the stock 3.73 diffs and 33" tires it is the PERFECT gears for me and the kind of wheeling I like (Moab). I can drive there at 65 mph all day long, and have a 75:1 crawl ratio when I hit the trail. Can't say enough good about this combo. And it would be a straight bolt-up on your 60.

If the Orion will bolt up to the H41, will it bolt up to the H55?

I'd go for an H55F and either a Marlin box or a set of Mark's gears.

~John

does the sm420/465 bolt up to the 2f or does it require a adapter?

It sort of bolts up. You need the bellhousing that came with the 3 speed transmission, and a few other parts. I would not do a 420-3speed tcase combo in a wagon. No sense using the weak 3 speed transfer case.

If the Orion will bolt up to the H41, will it bolt up to the H55?

An Orion can be had with 2 inputs-10 spline and 16 spline. The H55 has a 19 spline output, so not compatable.

Marlin's Toybox is set up to work with a 10 spline input and so with an H42 out of a 60, you swap out the main shaft to 10 spline(comes with the Toybox) to mate it together. For the H55 you keep the 19 spline mainshaft in the transmission, and the Toybox has a special 19 spline input.

The 465 has synchros and shifts a million times better than the 420 but has a higher 1st.

I am currently doing an H42/toybox/split case in the '79 40. The H42 has closer ratios than the H41 for highways and the 4.7 toybox will be fine for lack of a low 1st on trails.

SM420 and SM465 both have the same # of syncros. Neither has a syncronized 1st gear, and both are syncro'ed in 2-3-4. Both are awesome transmissions. My rebuilt 420 shifts as well as any 465 I've driven. Both are pretty clunky shifting transmissions. 1st gear SM420=7.05:1, SM465=6.55:1

There are advantages and disadvantages of each-but on balance, I'd use an SM465 given the choice.

With Toyboxes in the pipeline again, a stock Land Cruiser H42(41) with a Toybox to split case, is about the nicest combo you can get in terms of good shifting and range of gearing. Plus the extra length fits fine in a LWB wagon. H55/Toybox is pretty long-check out CaliCruiser's photos of his combo. It works well though.

For heavier duty an SM465+203 range box+Split case would be great, but you get a clunkier shifting transmission and less gear reduction.

Remember too that you can do SM465+Toybox+Split case. I almost wish I had done that over the H41/Toybox/Split case that I did.

Overall with the length of a wagon and the easy compatability of the Marlin Toybox-that is the direction I would recommend going. The transmission you use in front of it is up to you, but H41, H42, H55, Sm420, SM465 (and rumors of A440F) all will work.

Can't you get a gearvendors overdrive unit in an underdrive? Do they even make one that will fit our cruisers? I don't know a lot about them but I've read that they're pretty sweet units and very tough, just not cheap.

you can get marks t-case gears underdrive and overdrive .. that fit BF1A t-cases .. should be a good help for those with healty engines and 4 speed trannys ..

you can get marks t-case gears underdrive and overdrive .. that fit BF1A t-cases .. should be a good help for those with healty engines and 4 speed trannys ..

This would not be a bad option if they were less expensive, but for almost the same $$, you can get many more options, and far deeper gearing multiples with a Toybox.

Me personally, I can't see the sense of doing those Marks gears. There are far better options out there, and the low range achieved is not low enough. Now if they cost $250, I could see it for general use. For heavy offroad, you are still going to want a lower low.

Georg (orangeFJ45) had some great and simple advice about low range options. I'll paraphrase, but basically do what ever you want, but achieve at least 100:1 in low range. That's especially important in a wagon.

Lots of good information here :steer:

I'll go ahead and throw my setup in for good measure.

I have a 85 FJ60 with a Chevy 383 V8 to 700R4 automatic that I was running to the Toyota split transfer case. The 60 is SOA with 4:88 gears and was running 36" tires. The V8 has plenty of hp to turn the tires on the highway and when bound up on the rocks. Forcing the bound up tires to turn on the rocks caused control problems and riped chucks of rubber off the tires when they spin so I put in a 203 splitter and now have 37" tires. This combination gives me low gears and control for crawling and still runs faster on the highway than I want to drive.

crawl ratio for this setup looks like this:

700R4 1st gear X NP203 X Split case X diff gears = crawl ratio
3.06 X 2.0 X 2.28 X 4.88 = 68:1

With this crawl ratio it takes all the brakes I have to make it stop in double low. Shifting into neutral is the preferred mothod of stopping when in double low.

Might I suggest an alternative to mechanical downshifting:

large_NJQyRtjSYGRjbxmaRgI

205/40 R15s-- they would certainly slow you down and would only cost a couple hundred bucks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom