What are my options for doubling down? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This would not be a bad option if they were less expensive, but for almost the same $$, you can get many more options, and far deeper gearing multiples with a Toybox..

I'm agree if you live in CA but for multipurpose Cruiser .. or in my case no need to upgrade to 5.29 or so .. I keep my 4.56 with the marks gears and I'm jsut right for WH driving to the trail and wuite good in the trail ..

sure I will be happy to have an aditional toy box with me ..

I think the plan for Jeremy is going to be for now to keep the stock 3.7 axle gearing and get as low as possible with the tcase gearing. I think he needs at least 100:1, but 150:1 would be better. He'll be wheeling with mostly mini trucks that have dual cases. My input after reading everything is that the easiest and best is to stay with his stock 4spd trans. and get a toybox. With that and stock axle gearing he should be at 140:1, which should be good enough.

so what type of wheelin is he planning on doing that requires at least 100:1:?

A 2f does not need nearly as much gearing as a 22re does..

Not about power, he needs control:

Something along these lines:

26155_1413900313782_1420781010_3110.jpg

25703_381868537108_504382108_423711.jpg

25703_381868607108_504382108_423712.jpg

I'm using 98:1 in those pics on 37's.

Now if he had an auto trans. it would be different for sure

I think he would rarely use both cases, but he would really use the 4.7 box a lot.

A 2F in an FJ40 is OK at the lower end of the spectrum. I loved mine at 80:1 but Rubicon was really a pain when I was stock-which is around 35:1 or so. A wagon is bigger and so can benefit going a little slower. I remember on Fordyce Creek, I would have liked lower gearing a couple of places-maybe 50% slower so 120:1 would have been ideal.

For sure 100 isn't an absolute, but it is a nice round number to think about and it's slow enough most of the time.

My FJ60 has a stupid amount of gearing now-226:1. I'll be very afraid of breaking stuff at that amount of gear reduction and likely will use the gears to be in the 100:1 sweet spot for hard spots on the trail.

I like 100:1ish as well. It is nice if you can do 50-60:1 and 100:1 in a setup.

In the '79 that is getting regeared next week to a max of 127:1 (adjusted for 35" tires, H42/toybox/split case, 4.56).

That setup gives-

1st/low 27:1
4th/TB/low 36
2nd/TB 42
3rd/TB/low 50
1st/TB 65
2nd/TB/low 82
1st/TB/low 127

The SM420 in it got me to about 53:1 and it wheels great at that. There were just a few spots that I wanted lower gearing for crawling or control. Luckily the 420 died. :D

So you are planning on bashing in every single panel then?

It's a wheeler, not a DD. I don't think there's a straight pannel on it now.

It's a wheeler, not a DD. I don't think there's a straight pannel on it now.

IMHO, sell the 60 and get a Ftoy.

You will be happier in the end. Rock crawler FJ60's end up turning into buggies anyway.

They are not good hardcore rockcrawlers.

But, it's your rig..

I imagine it will end up as a four door pickup eventually. The vehicle was wrecked in the front before it was modded. He likes Cruisers, we'll make it work.

You will be happier in the end. Rock crawler FJ60's end up turning into buggies anyway.

But, it's your rig..

tell me about it I keep lookin at a Ftoys and think I can make it fit:hillbilly:

I have around 170 to 1 when you need it its king most the time I drive in granny single low around 73 to 1 and it rocks better then most in doulbe low ... I cant say what the 420 is like on the street I got this thing up the 40 ... once :flipoff2: and it was scary at 4 psi:hillbilly:... I think for the cost a 420 or 465 would be cheaper and easyer ... I've ben told the 465 adapter is close to thesame size as a 203 doubler and adater if added it later

I imagine it will end up as a four door pickup eventually. The vehicle was wrecked in the front before it was modded. He likes Cruisers, we'll make it work.

lol, you expect the doors to work for long?

Famous last words..
99% of the heavily modded rig owners out there at the end of the day say a buggy would have been a much cheaper investment.

tell me about it I keep lookin at a Ftoys and think I can make it fit:hillbilly:

The fat biatch is an awesome off road machine. But as a true rockcrawler, they are not even close to a F toy.. And F toy's are dirt cheap..

I have around 170 to 1 when you need it its king most the time I drive in granny single low around 73 to 1 and it rocks better then most in doulbe low ... I cant say what the 420 is like on the street I got this thing up the 40 ... once :flipoff2: and it was scary at 4 psi:hillbilly:... I think for the cost a 420 or 465 would be cheaper and easyer ... I've ben told the 465 adapter is close to thesame size as a 203 doubler and adater if added it later

I don't know that I have needed the second low range gearbox on my 60. But i do not wheel it nearly as hard as I have my 40, and it's an auto. Actually, I rarely use the second box in my 40 either. The motor makes up for it.

True, it's no Ftoy, but he doesn't want an Ftoy, neither do I. I go almost everywhere the Ftoys go, not everywhere, but close in my '85 4runner.

If the doors don't work, we'll tube them. If the body is too big, we'll chop it. Sure, eventually there won't be much 60 body left, but it will be unique and it will be what he wanted.

I already have plans for 4 tube doors....Next is is CRAWL....down want to keep replacing birfs every trip like now.

I already have plans for 4 tube doors....Next is is CRAWL....down want to keep replacing birfs every trip like now.

wait, you think gearing down will save birfs?

exactly - If it breaks then, it will be because I was doing something in stead of acting like I was doing something.

What are the first gear ratios for the 420 and 465?

Are you talking about using the 203 case with the stock case or just the 203?

Ratio of the 203?

What about a 420 or 465 with a 203/205 doubler?

Costs of what all these trans./tcase options are would be good if you have them handy.

The BIL needs to Crawl!:steer:

ratios of 420 and 465 were posted but the 203 and the 205 box are both only 2.0:1 so whatever your crawl ratio is when you add the 203 it literally just doubles it down. toybox and orion ect are cool since like the toybox for example you can get it in a 4.7:1 on top of the gear reduction you would have already.

does the sm420/465 bolt up to the 2f or does it require a adapter?

1F bell housing and i think the bearing cap or something of the sort needs a little milling.

My FJ60 has a stupid amount of gearing now-226:1. I'll be very afraid of breaking stuff at that amount of gear reduction and likely will use the gears to be in the 100:1 sweet spot for hard spots on the trail.

longs...

then go to stupid low and aim where ya want. low and slow is the way to go.

But, it's your rig..

This makes me sad when you say this Jason. I look at Baker Jr's 60, Joel's 60, and what my 60 has slowly become...

The fat biatch is an awesome off road machine. But as a true rockcrawler, they are not even close to a F toy.. And F toy's are dirt cheap..

Patches isnt fat... ;)

And i think Fiona will be right there with Patches before to long, ill be running the same trails anyhow, tho my center of gravity is not as low as patches and will hinder me significantly on some of the stuff untill i can get he lower and do some cutting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom