What antifreeze? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just flushed my radiator and it's time to refill---what antifreeze do the mud experts recommend?

Not so much which antifreeze, but moreso make sure you use distilled water to mix with if you buy it strait.
It so saves your metal piping.

I had my 62's system flushed earlier this year and put Toyota red in it.

I have always used the Prestone-green and distilled H2O plus a GANO filter. MIke

Yeah I got distilled water, just wondering what flavor antifreeze since there seems to be 13 different kinds. Never seen the Toyota red anywhere, what's special about it? And what's a GANO filter?

Either the regular GREEN antifreeze (I use the 50/50 premix when on sale at Vatozone or Orielly's) or the red, which is a little hard to find outside the dealer, and $25/gal, but long lasting and really sooooper stuff.

And of course, DI water is a must.

So I just flushed my radiator and it's time to refill---what antifreeze do the mud experts recommend?

Age old question, Red or Green? On an 93 Fj80 or later, I'd go red. 92 and back I do Green, Why? Cast iron cooper/brass and very little aluminum.

On my 85 Pick up I used red (from 85~90 it was Green factory fill) for 15 years, with no issues. When I first bought my 62, I changed from the PO's mud to Toyota Red, and sprug about 7 leaks. I flushed it out and went with Zerox Green, and no leaks. Something in the Red tends to squeeze past old hoses. Granted if I'd had all new hoses, I'm sure it would have been fine. Some months later I did get thru the 17 hose change over. But I stuck with the green because it was developed for cast iron and brass/copper systems.

I got the green from Grainger @ $10.~$12. per gallon(100% mix).

Antifreeze Coolant, Original, 1 Gal - Automotive Fluids - Automotive Chemicals - 1UCC1 : Grainger Industrial Supply

Thanks for the input guys; sounds like the green will be fine. Much cheaper and easier to find too.
I'm not sure there was any antifreeze in there before; that mess was nasty orange looking! No big flakes or clumps or anything just dirty orange colored. Using distilled water to flush is a pain----you never buy enough!

FYI I looked in the owners manual(forgot I had that) and it very specifically says to use regular ole ethylene glycol---no $$$ red stuff in our old rigs.

That's what I've always done too, I had just red something a while back about the different kinds and all the ways you can use the wrong one, bla bla bla---so when I went to do mine I got to thinking about it too much I reckon. Which ya'll should be proud of me for cause that's not usually the case!

Just about anything as long as you change it every 2 years or so...

...has always worked for me!

t

I confess. I use whatever is green, undiluted (I do that part) and has the lowest price tag.

Yep, thats what i do as well...

Although i seem to flush the cooling system a couple of times each year - for no other reason than i cant help tinkering with the damn thing!!! ;p

I confess. I use whatever is green, undiluted (I do that part) and has the lowest price tag.

Since were confessing:

I don't even use distilled water. haha

One gallon of Toyota Red and fill the rest up with water. I call it the Texas blend. :hillbilly:

Distilled will make your water pump last longer. But I have run all sorts of crap water in my rigs for years.

And the cheapest antifreeze/coolant I can find.

Mace said:
Distilled will make your water pump last longer. But I have run all sorts of crap water in my rigs for years.

And the cheapest antifreeze/coolant I can find.

That's what I'm talkin about! Haha

Glad I'm not alone :)

Ok, confession number 2; last spring while out dirt biking with a friend I lost the coolant to the bike. Not wanting to waste the engine or spend the whole day pushing it back to the Cruiser, I fixed the leak and used EVERY fluid available to me starting with what I had in my bladder and finishing with muddy crud from a colection pond used for cattle. I enjoyed the rest of the day, the bike ran great and got a serious cooling system flush when I got it home. It still smells like a urinal when I take the cap of the radiator!

Mmmmm - urinal. Fresh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom