what am I giving up (tires) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I was looking at some 285's when I found some new (take off) BFG A/T in a 265/75/16. I have the shop holding them for me at $260. The manager miss quoted the price and is willing to honor the $65/tire. I was think hey at that price why not? I haven't done much wheeling yet. How much am I giving up going with the 265's vs 285's or even 305's/70. The other thing is I can keep my spare rather than going w/ 5 new tires 654 revs vs 665 revs, is this ok? I lose a 1/2 in width, but pick it up in diameter so I would guess the contact areas would be similar?

I tried a search came up with nothing.

andre

265 75s are skinny 31s. You'll have to compare the exact size of the spare and the new tires to see if they would work OK. If it were my rig, I would just get 4.

BTW check the load range. If you're planning on keeping the tires for a while, may as well get the 5th one, since the price is so low.

I have Cooper Discoverer S/T 265/75R16s, siped, suggested by IdahoD. The tread is slightly wider than stock size LTX tires and the Cross Terrains on my wife's rig. I'd say you'll give up some unsprung, rolling mass (a good thing), not much else. A lot of guys use this size, but there's not much to talk about, so you won't hear a lot about it. I often wish I'd gone with the 285s, but I run a lot on the highway and in slush, and wider wouldn't be good there. Also taller wouldn't be good in high-speed maneuvering and trailering. I'd also need to buy and install a gear that brings my speedo back to normal. But they'd look cooler.

The tires are a load range "d" which I believe is a 8ply. The diameter of the 265's is 4/10" taller than the Michelin LTX. With an 8 ply I'm not expecting flats I would also think the more they wear the better the match to the spare.

I was all over a set of Revos until this "deal" came across. While being take offs I guess they have between 800-1000 miles as the guys spinner wheels were back ordered. I'm not seeing anyone try and talk me out of this ? Buhler, Buhler, Buhler...

andre

Get 'em. 8-ply rating is a pretty tough carcass under the tread. I went with 6-ply rated because I was running through construction sites in snow, running over all kinds of construction debris. I haven't noticed the 6-ply being any harsher.

Andre,

I'm not trying to talk you out of those tyres because the BFG A/T ko's are a great "compromise" tyre. They look good, they perform well in most off-road situations, they wear very good, they're quiet, and they have some nice features like the siping and the rim protection.

>> With an 8 ply I'm not expecting flats <<

If you take your vehicle off road, you *better* be expecting flats. You'll rip a sidewall or you'll stake a tyre when you least expect it and in the worst possible situation.

The BFG A/T's are not an 8 ply tyre. The sidewalls are 3 (at most) and the tread is probably a 6 ply at best. They may have an 8 ply rating but that's not the same as 8 plies.

Get a spare in the same size and do frequent 5 tyre rotations. You'll keep all the tyres worn the same and you'll extend the life of the set. Plus, it keeps them wearing consistently and you'll want them rebalanced frequently if you take them off road.

-B-

I'd get them great price. I have them in the 275/70/16 size and have one of my old Michelin LTX's as a spare. I have over 40K miles and still have more then half the thread left. I consider the spare good for only getting me to the closest place to have the BFG/AT/KO fixed. Never happened yet.

Well, I got them they still have the little "pimples" $320 incl M/B and new stems. the look pretty good not as sweet as some 285 would but for the price. :) They are a little louder than my Toyo's, but not much the feel pretty good in the wet. I'm going to check the pressure and mess with the handling a little. I looked for some mud at lunch (took a couple of hours) but could not get much of a feeling for what they are like.

Does anyone decrease the rear pressure to create more neutral handling? (I know its not a sports car).

andre

[quote author=floatinghat link=board=2;threadid=11608;start=msg106535#msg106535 date=1077072431]
Well, I got them they still have the little "pimples" $320 incl M/B and new stems. the look pretty good not as sweet as some 285 would but for the price. :) They are a little louder than my Toyo's, but not much the feel pretty good in the wet. I'm going to check the pressure and mess with the handling a little. I looked for some mud at lunch (took a couple of hours) but could not get much of a feeling for what they are like.

Does anyone decrease the rear pressure to create more neutral handling? (I know its not a sports car).

andre
[/quote]

Hey Andre,

Sorry I saw this late...

Beowolf is right on the tread plys, but you'll be just fine on the street, and offroad for that matter. They're nice tires, and a great compromise as B points out. At the price you couldn't go wrong.

I put 305/70/16's on mine and they look/drive excellent. The only downfall is going thru "deeper" standing water at high freeway speed after heavy rain. They DO kinda like to "re-direct"... Just a function of a wide tire. You won't have that problem with the 265's. Bet you'll love em'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom