What am I getting myself into? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cali truck?

Looks like the spring hangers aren't too rusty.

Pretty standard wheel well, and tailgate rust. Check the roof line above and below gutters, especially rear of truck.

Steering column cover usually means electrical probs with turn signals.

Interior looks pretty standard for western truck. Lotsa cloth rot, but check driver/Pass floorboards for rust carefully, that is major work.
Look at the hard brake lines in rear. If they still look silver, instead of rust, that is a good sign.

Engine looks like it still has most vac switches, and not too much hacked electric.

4-5k ? If engine will turn over, even by hand. Oil slick in radiator?

Buy stock in USPS.

never sum the receipts...

Words to live by after buying a 30 year old Land Cruiser.

I did this once.......big mistake. Now I never look.

Really, first and foremost figure out why you want one and what you are planning on doing with it.
Then decide if this is the right one for that decision.
If yes buy it and then take a full inventory on what needs to be done. Mechanical first, then rust. Make sure it is safe.
Make a budget and stick to it and pace yourself.

Last edited:
Buy It... You wont regret it! Well you might, but only when you are frustrated. Then when someone throws you a thumbs up on your first ride, that will melt away.
And hide the receipts from yourself, there will be a stack!

Hell yes! Buy it. Warning, it will grow on you, often to the point of obsession. Think of it as a blank automotive slate that you choose how to build. You can do as much or as little to it as your heart desires. Get it running and safe, throw the dog in the back and go for a ride :)

Looks like a good project!
Make it run first and make sure it stops as well. Clean it up and enjoy it!
Yeah like everyone else said don’t sum up the receipts.

To me, that's not more than a $4K truck - hope you're paying that or less. Lots of potential, for sure!

I did this once.......big mistake. Now I never look.

Really, first and foremost figure out why you want one and what you are planning on doing with it.
Then decide if this is the right one for that decision.
If yes buy it and then take a full inventory on what needs to be done. Mechanical first, then rust. Make sure it is safe.
Make a budget and stick to it and pace yourself.
I wasn’t gonna name names Dave. ;)

Looks relatively complete with areas of serious rust. If you can do body work and are prepared for the mechanicals and the price is VERY right (depending on why it was parked), looks like a decent projet.

I wouldn't pay more than a couple grand, at MOST, for that cuz it's gonna be a years worth of work (if you've got a regular job), and if you've got an indoor space to work in.

It will be a labor of love, at times, dysfunctional.

at MOST, for that cuz it's gonna be a years worth of work (if you've got a regular job), and if you've got an indoor space to work in.

It will be a labor of love, at times, dysfunctional.

It is just time......but I agree with this.

Do what lots have people have done. Take a piece of cardboard, wood, old metal sheet door panel or the windshield.
Write down everything you need to do on it (that list will be LONG) and just start, it is amazing how many projects you can cross off in a weekend.

Let's see that build thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom